Register now to get rid of these ads!

NORTH WEST!! whos up for some speed trials on a real dry lake?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hotrod55kustom, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend
    from SW WA

duke already knows, but I work as a volunteer restorer at pearson air field in vancouver washington and I know a guy with a 1929 travelair bi-plane, I told him about it and hes interested in flying down, I would come with. I thought it'd be cool to have a period correct plane sitting in the background.

2. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

there ya go! get yer car photographed infront of a vintage plane on the dry lake! ha! wicked..

so, an email has been sent to the SCTA asking for assistance. and to all offering assistance i thank you!! im sure most of you will be called on at some point for help hahaha. i just really want to see this happen, more than anything. and anyone that would like to go down sometime soon just to check it out and have a fun lil weekend let me know so we can plan it out!!! this really will be something else, if anyone knows of or has a business that would like to sponsor the event that would be severly helpful. I have talked with Cody, one of the guys at Hurst racing tires and he said they would sponsor for what ever drag events we hold (not sure if they would do the lakes event as well) so if anyone else would like to climb on board that would be awsome! (ahemm! the HAMB would be a great sponsor!) hahaha. lets see if theyre even payin attention.. haha

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend
    from SW WA

oh, and I could possibly screen some ncta t-shirts if wanted for like 16 bucks a pop or so.

4. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

I believe the lake is controled by the BLM, so one would need to contact them.Fields has a 7 room motel, so bring your tent.There is no actual road down the the lake bed from the gravel road that runs buy the site, so it would be thru the sage brush to get there, but people do it all the time from what i'm told.

5. GARY?

GARY?

Would be killer for sure. Not too far from me either.
    I'm in Ashland, OR right on the 5. If you need some sort of local help let me know.

6. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

whats the BLM??

7. Bureau of Land Management

8. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

ahhhh yes. that will be my next thing on my to do list.

9. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was wondering what this was about when you added me on mysapce the other day...

I think it would be AWESOME... a decent journey for me, but I'd be totally up for it.

10. jangleguy

jangleguy

Craig Breedlove tested his last car at Alkali Dry lake - I've been stoked ever since. I'm in. I want to run my car there, but will help out however I can, too.
    Thanks for doing this...
    Scotty

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm always up for a new lake to run on.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

This is amazing. im seriously overwhelmed with the response we've gotten for this on the HAMB! Today might be a slow day for me in responses and getting work done with it, i have to help my dad at work but so far im waiting to hear back from the SCTA and then i will hopefully be back home in time to make some phone calls. again thank you for all your support!!!!

13. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Your next call should be to the BLM if they indeed control this lake. Being that it is a government agency, there may very well be alot of red tape involved in getting permission. I know you said people are out there running, but it does not infer they had permission. A large event will require the appropriate documents in hand,and the BLM may require you to have certain things on hand to run (emergency personel, adequate porta-poopers, road access, etc.).

14. Professor Fate

Professor Fate
    from the bay

so much potential! good luck.

15. 8flat

8flat

Dan10 is right about the BLM hoops you may have to jump through. And they may also want your organization to carry insurance, I hope that wouldn't kill the process.

What you're doing is pretty cool, I would like to come out. The LSR for my naturally aspirated '51 F1 flathead is something like 98mph, (XFMP). I would be interested to see how close I could get to that...ha. It's harder than you think with only a 160 or 170hp flathead. Sounds like your lake is about 1,000ft lower than B'ville, so that helps.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Might be fun i'll have to get my 301 'camino goin for it and try to break somethin

17. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

yeah keep us posted this could be a great start for something to cherish and grow for a long time to come

18. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

im not sayin im not going to make that call.. and from what i have been told its free for the public to use whenever, anyhow i know to host an event obviously theres going to have to be something done, thats obvious.

19. Insurance and medical personnel are an expensive must have.

20. Spooky

Spooky

Wow....

This is pretty damned interesting.

There is so much hot roddin' around this area that it could be a roaring success.

My pals in Denver have no CLUE to what is up here!

21. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I think this is a great idea, but I am not sure that you fully understand what will have to be done to put this event together.
    Just running some priliminary numbers if you had 400 cars entered to race and you charged $300 per car/driver you may be able to break even.

I know you are thinking more alone the lines of a "run what you brung" thing, but racing top end can be very hazardous to your health and you need to make sure there are no fatalities at this event. It needs be pretty well structured and you need to have a number of areas/groups/people to make sure knowone gets hurt. Tech is one, a fully equipted Emergency Crew is another, race officials, race steward, Course Marshal Crew. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great idea and could work. This type of race will take A LOT OF TIME not to mention money to plan.

Just some ideas;

I have been working with SFR/SCCA and have helped volunteer in a couple of areas such as Tech, Course Marshal, Emergency, and Timing. The SCCA is a Not-For-Profit organization and all the races are run by volunteers...........Tech, Course Marshal, Timing, Communications.......etc.
    It would be interesting to see if you could get volunteers from different racing assocations to help with timing, course marshal, tech, Emergency and others. These people already know the score and could be very useful...just a thought.

Also, you will need an Emergency Crew, with tow truck, fire equipment, Jaws of Life..............etc.

Also, to rent a two ambulance setup( you will need a minimum of two), one ALMS with Paramedic's and one regular ambulance with paramedic and EMT will run around $4000.00 for two days, not including travel and lodging.

I know I am putting the cart infront of the horse, but because this facility is so far away from any trauma center you will also need an on-call Helicopter to transport anyone critically injured. One more good reason to set up a Tech Crew like the Silver-States-Classic Race/SCCA.

Depending on of the class would depend on things like rollcage, onboard fire system, brakes vs. chutes...................the tech part of this would be extremely important and need to be carried out by some real tech people.......
    I just happen to have my SCCA Tech License.....Hint!,,,,,,Hint! I also know some Emergency Crews (volutneers) that may be interested although the equipment would have to rented.

But first, find out from the BLM, then there would only be 999 other things.

And yes, the BLM would require some type of Liability Insurance for a large group of people RACING which could be as much as 10/15k per two day event. This is one reason a $200/$300 dollar event fee would probably need per car/driver for racing in a two day event. As they say, racing ain't cheap, and being safe is even more expensive.

I would be glad to help in any way I can.......................plus I would love to bring my blown flattie out to see how fast a "brick" will go!

Just my 4 cents

22. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

yesss. YOU can check your in-box. lol

and spooky... you wouldnt happen to be related to stanley beare (?) would you?

and new question up for the hambers looking at this thread... who would be willing to pay that kinda dough????

23. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

well this is some cool news.. just got an email from some one associated with hemmings motor news asking about the NCTA and what not offering up some help.. kinda got me excited so i wanted to post real quick and share it with everyone..

also, are there any companies or business's out there that any one knows of that would sponsor such an event so as to keep the participation cost down???

24. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

I'm willing to run if you can pull it off. you should contact the SCTA and the
    East Coest Timing Assocation. They could give you a lot of good advise.
    go for it.

25. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

We are willing to help sponsor and do whatever else you need.

26. Randy Radford

Randy Radford

Keep us posted I would be interested.

27. Dueceburnout

Dueceburnout

ya i'm down for a 4 hour road trip. i bet the 28 RP might hit 100mph if i pull the windsheld so it down blow out. 200 v6 muncie and 2.88 ya sounds good.

28. Randy Radford

Randy Radford

??? Anyone have more info on this? I want to race!!!

29. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

any more info on this?????

30. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

unfortunately planning on this came to a halt. i have to wait till the lake drys out till i can get out and plot the course and everything, the insurance has been a little tricky as well. also lack of support kind of killed it momentarily as well. i will be returning to the planning of this soon, i have all the paper work for it as well as a few people here in town that are willing to divvy up the work with so not all of the burden is on me. its also been a pain trying to find sponsors for the event so it can be affordable!

so its safe to say that the first annual event wont happen this summer, BUT... that doesnt mean that a road trip to go play on the flats and scope it out isnt in order?! so if anyone is down for a road trip to go camping and help pick out a spot for the event, let me know.