Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage North to alaska living the dream

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, Jun 22, 2013.

1. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

What a dream trip. That old Chevy continues to amaze me. You guys are awesome. Gary

2. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

I've been following the thread from the start. really interesting, kudos for living the dream. Your getting close to Alberta, lots of HAMB members here, post if you need help, we'll be there. If your going south from Jasper AB. on the Icefields Parkway down to Banff you'll love it. Incredible Rocky Mountain scenery, good road. Lots of well attended cruise nights in the bigger cities. Weather looks nice for the next week too.

3. Bob, I've been following your adventure with keen interest. Next week I head out for Vancouver to take one of those cruise ships to Alaska. As for the spruce tip blonde in Skagway... would you recommend a sample or the whole damn pitcher? Know for sure I will raise a glass in admiration to you and Maggie when I get there. Awesome trip, Bob!

I shouldn't be rolling too many dirt roads from NY to BC, but I'm replacing my wheel bearings as a precaution. I haven't replaced them since I first met you. They have some miles on them too.

I look forward to meeting up with you again somewhere and sharing stories over a beer, or twelve! Incredible epic adventure. My hats off to you both! Awesome.
    Bil

4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Bil, are you stopping through the Drags on the way to Vancouver?

Bob, have you decided if home is a whistlestop on the way to the Drags yourself?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

Bob, I found this thread last night and spent my free time yesterday and today reading thru every post. Thanks for the detailed coverage.... I was in Anchorage in 85 with my dad. We drove to the homer spit and camped on the beach the first night, fished for the "halibut " on a 2 mast schooner ( I think) called Saint Augustine's Fire and then stayed at Lands End the following night. Thanks for bringing back my memories and sharing the ones your building with your wife.

6. afaulk

afaulk

Hi Guys, just caught up with the last few pages/days of your adventure. Great story with pictures!

7. sawzall

sawzall

wow... just wow.. so glad I took the time to read this thread! thanks bob!

8. I just spent the better part of an afternoon and evening reading 28 pages of this thread. What an amazing trip! If I'd have known a month ago, you could have stopped in and said hello when you passed by my house on the way to the ferry terminal in Bellingham. Good luck on the remainder of your travels...

9. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Nothing to post from yesterday, a long day. Didn't get out of Fort Nelson until 11:30, got to Dawson Creek at 4:30 and Prince George at 9:30. Got some neat pic's at Chetwynd BC of the wood sculptures and got Al's Fargo hot rod truck also.

Hopefully tonight I will have some time to post.

Today is the offical start of the 2000 mile trip home with Bnaff and Jasper parks on the route.

Also Breakfast this am with Mr & Mrs. pg409.

Later

B:)B

10. Somewhere along the line I got the impression you were headed to Bonneville after AK? Me, confused... imagine that :D

Bnaff should be beautiful this time of year. Banff is nice too, so I hear.

11. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Yeah I am but gotta take Maggie back to Antigo so she can spend her 2 weeks at the lake.

Bnaff or Banff, Potatoe or Potato, What's the diff??

B:rolleyes:B

12. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Turns out I lied, I do have a few minutes to post some pics from yesterday.

Al the guy that owns the shop where the Chebby got fixed has this neat Fargo PU. A little bit street roddy for here but an overall nice unit, and a hell of a nice guy to boot. Thanks Al

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just love these emblems.

[​IMG]

We did it backwards but we did it, the whole 1900 plus miles. Not only that but all of the other sections also, including the top of the world highway which was brutal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This town has a whole bunch of the neatest wood sculptures that we have ever seen. They have a big contest every year and I guess these are the winners, there must be 40 of them on the main highway running through town.

[​IMG]

I assume that this is Paul without his blue ox.

[​IMG]

Looks like a take off of the famous "The thinker".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully more tonight.

14. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thanks for sharing yoru journey! it's brought back a lot of great memories for me. I spent 2 weeks in Alaska about 5 years ago when I was in college. I had the chance to see many of the places you have posted. Surprisingly one of the things i most remember is the beautiful flowers and gardens. They were beautiful. Thanks for sharing, safe travels!

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. pg409

pg409

Bob and Maggie just had brekky at our place and are now on their way to Jasper, Alberta with a target of reaching the Calgary area tonight.
    Bob's car is awesome. We also discovered we were both in the Bonneville 360 photo with our old cars in 1992.

[​IMG]

The trunk is pretty full

[​IMG]

17. jr9162

jr9162

Bob, If you think the Top of the World Hwy is brutal, try the Denali Hwy from Cantwell to Paxon Lakes. I hear the Haul road to Prudhoe Bay is a ball breaker too. Glad to hear you finally are on good roads. Y'all come back now, y'hear? :)

18. You've lived more and enjoyed more this summer alone than most do in a lifetime. Stay with it.

19. nexxussian

nexxussian

From what I hear the haul road is much improved from what it was in '83 when I rode up to Prudhoe with my pops in his KenWorth.

It was real bad back then, so "much improved" still may not be very good.

20. With the book in his hand, I'm thinking he may be on the "throne", AKA "the stinker".

[​IMG]

21. Thanks mr48chevy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. buckd

buckd

Bob and Maggie, I've followed your trip from the begining since I spoke to you in Austin and you told Augie and me about your upcoming trip. What a great adventure. I was born in Fairbanks While my dad was the superintendant of the pipeline contructionin the 40's He was one of the first civilians to traverse the Alcan highway as they were constructing it to get materials to the job and to eventually transport the military. My wife and I have 40 acres outside of Homer and are looking forward to our next trip up to the land of the midnite sun. It truly is the last frontier. Have a safe trip the rest of the way to your home. And we'll see you at the next rendevous (where ever that may be) BUCKD

23. You say potato I say spud.

I guess after all that time in the car together a couple weeks apart might be a good idear. Then again, if Maggie hasn't killed you after all these years she might get nominated for sainthood.

24. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Couldn't hold back any longer..........what an awesome thread!!

You and Maggie are King and Queen of the roadtrip!!!!
    King and Queen of KOOL for that matter!!!!

What an epic roadtrip, absolutelly awesome, thanks for taking us along!!

25. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

That is one we missed John.

We are now in Strathmore Ab. we went from PG to Jasper to the icefield highway and through Calgary to here. We stopped at Lake Louise also. I had forgotten how beautifull the Canadian Rockies are they are very impressive.

26. Bob, thanks for taking me on vacation ! I haven't been out of the state since 08' and I should be good for a couple more now ! :D

27. You should have stopped in Calgary.
    Strathmore, well, it's Strathmore
    Safe travels the rest of the way home

28. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Yeah I know but I want to get as many miles per day as I can so I can be home by Thursday night. I aam still almost 1400 miles from home that is about 700 miles a day, doable by this 75 year young fart.

29. The trunk contains the lost "Ark"... Bob thought it (The Ark) looked cool when he was a kid so he threw it in the trunk of his Chevy never to be seen again!:eek:

Amazing pack job Bob!!!

30. Ridhithomas

Ridhithomas
    from Canada

Great Post Thanks for this share.