Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage North to alaska living the dream

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

This is how they get the pipe line across a river where it ain't part of the bridge like it is across the Yukon at Yukon crossing. They build their own bridge for it, an engineering masterpiece.

[​IMG]

Our stop for the night, really nice place, makes me wonder about what we get tomorrow at Chicken Alaska.

[​IMG]

WOW A JACCUZI !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[​IMG]

54delray, Dedsoto, Ebbspeed and 10 others like this.
  2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

She wasn't kidding about the garden being prolly the best in interior Alaska.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only a couple of more of this flowery shit, bear with me as my
    Feminine side shows through.

ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p><O:p>[​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p>[​IMG]</O:p>

54delray, Dedsoto, Mr48chev and 11 others like this.
  3. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

This is a small portion of the road to Chicken, about 1/3rd of the 60 mile strech was like this, damn near shook the car apart so we had to go about 5mph through sections like this.</O:p>
    <O:p>

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

The town got it's name supposedly by the earlier miners who wanted to call it after the Grouse type bird that is abundant around here the Ptarmigan,( pronounced tarmagin). The couldn't spell it though so it became Chicken.</O:p>
    <O:p>[​IMG]

54delray, Dedsoto, Mr48chev and 12 others like this.
  5. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

They really overdoo this theme but it's funny so you guy's will just have to put up with it.</O:p>
    <O:p
    <O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

6. jr9162

jr9162

Bob,
    Willow Ptarmigan is the AK state bird. There's also a Rock
    Ptarmigan. Anyways, they're are delicious to eat. It's legal to hunt them. We breast them out and make a beef type stew out of them. The meat is red like the ostrich. John

7. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

>[​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:pThe inside of the small Bar is very interesting, kinda reminds me of something we will see tomorrow. The bar at Boundry, which I remember vividly from my trip in 1979 with my kids.</O:p>
    <O:p[​IMG]</O:p>

8. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

our luxuorious accomadations for the night, the Jack Wade Creek Cabin
    <O:pThe interior leaves nothing to be desired.</O:p>

9. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

We had arrived relativley early so we took a ride up the river for a short ways to see what there was to see. Needless to say the road was as bad as the first section.</O:p>
    <O:pHowever we did see some of what we came to see. A commercial mining operation that according to the locals was sold by the Russians that operated it for a few years and is now run by a company from, of all places, Mongolia. I ain't never seen a real Mongolian and there weren't anybody around when we went by there. The locals say that the equipment is too small for the scale that they expect.</O:p>

54delray, Dedsoto, Ebbspeed and 11 others like this.
  10. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

</O:p
    <O:pNow here is the best picture I think that I have taken on this whole trip. To me it is the classic of what I think a gold miner should look like. This guy was on one side of a small creek with his sluice and pan.</O:p>
    <O:pWe had dinner, and awesome Salmon Burger, and then of course in memory of my Hero Poverty Flats, PIE. Cranberry Apple, home made of course.</O:p

11. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Quite a selection also.</O:p
    <O:pLets see if I am over the limit on pictures, I should really be counting as I go along.

Well that took over an hour to straighten out, it kept telling me that I was trying to post 239 pictures.

Will try some more later.

B:)B</O:p

12. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Be sure to stop a Skinny Dicks for a Drink ! Chris

13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paul (poverty flats) is going to be very jealous.

14. afaulk

afaulk

All the potholes should shake everything down so that you can hold more pie and ice cream. :D

15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Building memories.......

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

One good thing about the mirror front jacuzzi , some would be able to see their toes !!

lol ...dave

17. Epic trip Bob!!! Thanks for sharing. I never noticed that you live in the same town as my sister.

18. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

Good trip haven't been to chicken since 1976. Nice country livin the dream.

19. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Damn Bob, this has been the best vacation trip I have NEVER BEEN ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep the pics coming.

20. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

So who the hell is your sister? and where do you live?

B:confused:B

54delray, Mr48chev, Ebbspeed and 11 others like this.
  21. speedwise

speedwise

Fantastic post. My wife and I were in Alaska the first 2 weeks of July 2013 (land/cruise tour). I recognized a lot of your pics. Loved it. I think I'll do it your way next time. Thanks for all your hard work.

22. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

LG

You need to read the whole thread, skinny dicks was posted last week on the way to Denali, we are way past there now in Dawson City.

B:)B

23. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Henry: "Daddy, there's BobK" and "Dad, look it's BobK and Santy Claus. Is he hanging out with Santa".

24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

well bob, your having a trip that we all dream about! so it looks like you wont make it to louisville nextweek! ha! thanks for posting all these great pics! surely appreciated by all of us.

25. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Can you tell that we are fascinated with Chicken, here is one final picture of Downtown Chicken before we head for Dawson City at 0:700.

[​IMG]

This the first morning since we left Antigo on June 19th that the sun is shining and there are very few clouds in the sky. That's over a month with nothing but rain and cloudy windy cold weather. And we still managed to have a ball. The book and this sign tell us that this journey is supposed to take 4 hours, let's see how they count for pothole time.

[​IMG]

The road ahead on the upper right, looks like it may be better.

[​IMG]

Boundry Alaska, 10 miles from the customs station. I stopped here and camped over night with my 2 kids in 1979. The whole story is way too long to tell here but buy me a beer the next time you see me and I'll tell you the whole thing. One of the neatest experiences of my life.

This is all that's left of the tavern where we met 2 gold miners with their 2 kids who had spent over 1 year out in the bush and I had to drink a scotch on the rock cause he only had 1 ice cube left.

[​IMG]

The bartender also made me take a 357 Magnum out to the van, for bears he said. No bears, returned the gun in the early am to an open bar with the register open and no one around.

[​IMG]

That says WELCOME TO BOUNDRY.

[​IMG]

My van was parked in this excat same spot 34 years ago almost to the day. The building in the background looks exctaly the same as it did then.

[​IMG]

The front view of the building in the background.

[​IMG]

This ol truck still had a neat load in the bed. I should dig out those old slides just to compare. YEAH RIGHT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple more buildings with memoberila type stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome back to the Yukon.

[​IMG]

Time to post this before they tell me it's too long.

To be continued.

26. phat rat

phat rat

Somehow I think that story would last longer than one beer.
    I'm really enjoying all these pictures and commentary. Can you two stay another month? I'm reasonably sure everyone here would keep enjoying it. Plus we know how the two of you enjoy traveling.

27. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Yep just what the world needs, another Golf Course.

[​IMG]

West Dawson is what the call the West side of the Yukon River, don't know why though as the onlyiest thing over here is the Golf Course.

[​IMG]

This ferry boat is the connection between East and West Dawson, it runs all day and into the night can take about 10 cars at one time, or less big truck and tour busses. It takes only 5 or so minutes and then goes right back with another load.

Kinda remindes me of the Merrimac ferry across the Wisconsing river back home only this is a hell of a lot fasteer.

[​IMG]

First order of business was to get the chunks off of the old girl.

[​IMG]

An old abandoned bank building as see by me today in rural Yukon Territory Canada. Sound familiar Poverty Flats???

[​IMG]

Lots of neat old restored buildings in Dawson.

[​IMG]

Even the newer ones have that old building charm. Note the wooden sidewalks.

[​IMG]

First time we have had the top down in the entire trip. Diamond Tooth Gerties. We went there after dinner to see the can can girlie show.

[​IMG]

To be continued again.

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks for the updates! I seem to remember earlier in the thread that you were pretty well into the 100,000s mileage wise on the old inline. Hows she holding up? Using any oil etc? You haven't mentioned any engine woes and I'm guessing that the old girl is doing pretty well. To me its kind of a testament to how solid the engines were built years ago.

29. jr9162

jr9162

Bob, there was (or still is) a campground in West Dawson City as well. We saw bear the 2nd time we drove through on the top of the world highway and the locals were reporting cougar sightings at the golf course too. There's a road that goes to the top of the bluff above Dawson City if you're interested in the view. They do a big fireworks display from it on the 4th of July. I hope you sat in the front row at Diamond Tooth Gertie's....

30. mercmanak

mercmanak
    from Fairbanks

Thanks BobK and Maggie! We are enjoying all of your updates and pictures that you have been posting. We had a great time with the two of you and would love to see you guys again! We will definitely take up your offer and have some fun in your area! Tell Maggie I said hello for me!