Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage North to alaska living the dream

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

We have been planning this for a long time and the departure date finally arrived. Those of you who have followed our adventures for awhile know that we generally start out with Maggie injuring her left ankle by either breaking or spraining it and spending the trip in a cam boot. Well lookie here folk, no cam boot.

[​IMG]

However we could not even beging the trip without some type of medical emergency now could we. Yours truly fell and sprained his left wrist.

[​IMG]

That doesn't really slow me down though. We started out by spending a couple of days in St Paul at the BTT50'S event. Friday was a great day but Friday night brought some sever thunderstroms and a lot of rain, and the chebby was parked in a low spot at the hotel. Had to move it from about a foot of water.

[​IMG]

How do you folks like the new look.I personally don't but for this trip its function over form. I didn't want to take a chance and ruin a brand new set of WWW's on the Alaskan roads. And I also thought that the fender skirts might be a hinderance also. I also took out the back seat and built a shelf for the cooler and a spare tire which I have never had before. I also found a neat pair of old wire head light shields, those look kinda neat but they will come off after the trip.
    I also took out my Lucas lights for the trip.

[​IMG]

We left St Paul this morning and are now in Mitchell SD. Gonna hook up with Short Bull tomorrow and Trent tomorrow night.

Stay tuned for some pictures now that I have my new camera dialed in. Never did get the one I lost at Tourque Fest.

B:)B

2. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

COOL!

Now how about a run down of all the gadgets you have hooked up! I thought I saw an extension cord and a tattoo pen!

3. You da man! Good call on the tires. I hear the perma-frost makes for a rough road.

4. bt34

bt34

Subscribed...start it rolling...

5. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

What is your proposed route? If you get to Vancouver Island, I'll buy dinner.

6. jimbanner

jimbanner

Also subscribed, followed the last one and am looking forward to following this one too. Hope you have another great road trip!!!!

7. Awesome trip Mr. K ! Hope you like seafood. Nothing better than fresh Alaskan salmon, halibut, shrimp, crabs, clams. My old stomping grounds. Gonna watch this thread closely.

8. jr9162

jr9162

Contact me. I live in Anchorage and just made my 4th round trip (to the lower 48) from here to Flagstaff AZ. My last trip was 6/5 to 6/20. Traveled down the ALCAN and back via the Cassiar. The only overlap of my route was from Anchorage to/from Watson Lake, YT. You will appreciate 1st hand information...

9. wayfarer

wayfarer

I'll be following your trip Bob. If you get close to Spokane, let me know.

10. Always love following you and Maggie on your adventures. Tell Trent hullo for me.

Baumi and Tman like this.
  11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I completely understand your wheel/tire/skirt change... and agree with you. Looks much better with the WWW tires.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to following along on your trip. Safe travels, Bob and Maggie!!

Malcolm

12. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

getting near the old hood aren't you Santa?

Baumi likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to seeing this one!

Posted using My Dick Tracey watch and the full custom HAMB app

14. desotot

desotot

15. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

Subscribed! If you go all the way to Prudhoe, just remember to get clearance 48 hours before arrival, damhik!

16. Good luck on your Adventure,We met you while at the LSR with Paul(Poverty Flats).
    Safe Travels.
    Chris and Anne.

17. subscribed! Have a safe trip!

18. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Contact me when you get to Fairbanks.We'll take you to dinner and the Fountainhead Museum.Maybe you'll be here when some of the guys are out on a run.

19. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

-Technically it's not "perma" frost, but frost heaves. As in, when the ground freezes in the winter, thaws in the summer, freezes again, etc. Causes the rock/dirt to move all over the place. (If not leave the roadbed entirely, likely for warmer climes. :) )

There's a few miles near... Tok, I think, that's basically built over swamp. And driving it feels a lot like that scene where Stallone is chasing bad guys over the viaduct bridges in "Cobra". :D I drove it several years ago in a Corvette, and touched down hard a couple of times.

Doc.

20. Bob, good call on loosing the rear seat, looking forward to seeing more of your always inspiring adventures.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

21. Gonna follow ya on this 1 Bob
    Have a safe trip

22. hahahahahaha
    Drive safe, have fun and BE CAREFUL

23. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

We will be in Anchorage for 3 days starting the 13th of july, send me your cel number, we have been in touch with nexxussian, he has my cell.

B:DB

Texas57, Hutkikz, Nick32vic and 28 others like this.
  24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vicarious vacation travels with Bob and Maggie, Love it!

25. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Good morning from beatifull downtown Mitchell SD

Eaglebeak

"What is your proposed route? If you get to Vancouver Island, I'll buy dinner. "

Won't have time sorry, hate to turn down a free dinner. We leave on the Mantanuska next Saturday. Thanks anyway.

Wayfarer:
    We will be south of you this trip, maybe next time. Besides, 2 years in a row would be overdoing it doncha think.

KooDaddy:
    "getting near the old hood aren't you Santa?"
    Ha Ha Ha, yeah, there ain't no place like home. We are gonna do North Pole Alaska though.

banjeaux bob:
    Pm me your cell number please.

The route is Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Portland. Seattle, leave from Bellingham on the ferry, Juneau, Haines, Valdez, Kodiak, Homer. Anchorage. Denali, Fairbanks, Chicken, Dawson City, Whitehorse, Skagway, Watson Lake, Dawson Creek, Prince George, Calgary, Winnepeg, Antigo. With a lot of stops in between.

More later

B:rolleyes:B

Texas57, warbird1, Nick32vic and 31 others like this.
  26. tomb23

tomb23
    from Oregon

27. silent rick

silent rick

so that's what that is sticking out of bob's ear. i've never seen a tattoo pen before.

28. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

How cool.....have a good trip Bob!!!

Tony

29. I always look forward to the vicarious ride with Bob & Maggie on their adventures,,subscribed! :) HRP

30. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Good luck and safe journey to you both.
    Cant wait to read about it.