Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods North Texas Hot Rod History Redux Dallas Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KKrod, Dec 1, 2019.

1. KKrod

KKrod

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-1949-on-caddo-mills-drag-races.970495/page-7

Just letting everyone who may be new to the hamb know of the existence of this thread that was run about 4 and one half years ago. I spent a good amount of time interviewing some of the of Dallas hot rod pioneers and many more hours making high quality reproductions of their photo albums.

I used technical photographic preservation procedures in making the digital scans. Care was taken to make the highest quality scans or copies of the original photos. Some of the great hot rodders who lived during that time period were interviewed. Many of these people have long since passed on. This is just a broad stroke of Dallas history of the time.

I am bringing this back up for those who may want to see it for a first time or a second time again before it is lost to history. Kind of like dusting an old book off the shelf.
    Thanks for your interest and thanks to Ryan and the HAMB a place to post information like this.
    best regards,
    Karl Knecht
    Arlington, Tx
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-1949-on-caddo-mills-drag-races.970495/page-7

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  2. KKrod

KKrod

I focused on the time period of 1949 to 1954 which was most of most interest to me at the time because that was the time period of the early Chaparrals Roadster Club in Dallas.

3. KKrod

KKrod

The commentary by Bobby Wollcott is worth the read in and of itself.
    Bobby (wbrw32) was there on the scene from about 1955 on into the 60's and worked in the aftermarket speed equipment industry his entire career. Enjoy.

kidcampbell71 and s55mercury66 like this.
  4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

This si one of THE best threads on the HAMB - period

HunterYJ and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Boodlum

Boodlum

Caddo Mills 1962 was the first drag race I ever competed in. Drag racing is not my "thing" but raced a stock 1962 Pontiac when they lined up 5-6 cars abreast and the flagman looked for the safest place to stand. Also there the day an autogyro lost its rotor and augered in right in front of the crowd.

tbirddragracer and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Ok...wake up.....got some photos from an estate sale not 2 miles from Yellow Belly Drag Strip....but this is not the Belly.....taken around 1970-71 and there was a Christmas tree.....maybe Cedar Hill or Circle Drags....don't think Little River....maybe I-20 down by Tyler.....more to come........not any really neat stuff so you could go back to sleep....

Lawrence 55 at unknown Dallas strip.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

go Chevy go.....

8. Little lite photo....but it looks like the 55 had it on the 57 Chevy............ 55 vrs 57 Dallas.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Some more of the 57 - looks to be a street car as well.......and in motion.....and the trailer maybe because of the slicks - not sure.....all part of these photos.........do we want to see any off topic - most likely on that same day ? 55 57 trailer.jpg 1957 in pits.jpg 1957 going to line.jpg 55 57 trailer.jpg

KKrod and kidcampbell71 like this.