Register now to get rid of these ads!

North Georgia build thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by injected27, May 3, 2012.

1. bobw

bobw

I agree with everybody! I'm probably the least experienced (but one of the oldest) drag racers here. But since you can't stop me, I'll throw in my two coppers.

I have the HA/GRa car (slushbox) and a 406 sbc powered Crosley. The Crosley is a "door"car, not an altered and can run mid-high tens. The dragster is a 12 second car at best. The safety equipment in both cars is roughly the same. Driver apparel is increased for the dragster. Whereas I need only a helmet and jacket in the Crosley, I need the other items that have already been pointed out in the dragster. I'll admit I feel kinda funny all decked out like that in a race car that is much slower than some of my street cars.

Slow home built altereds and dragsters are not a common sight at drag strips. Much easier to go slow in a regular street car with a seat belt and a helmet. So there's little reason for NHRA to do gradients of safety requirements for open cars slower than 10 seconds.

If you tip a 12 second Camaro over it is unlikely you'll scrape your face off on the K rail.
    A home built open car that doesn't even need to be certified presents a lot more perceived risk to the track operator, tech guys, NHRA and the insurance underwriter. I predict that certification of the cage area will be coming for the 10 second and slower open cars.

Some of the out of the way strips have relaxed rules for nostalgia events. Also some "leeway" in the rules at 1/8th mile events is not uncommon.

I've asked myself, if the strip owner said I didn't need to wear any of my safety apparel or buckle up, what would I discard? Answer: One roll bar hoop (but still have the hoop 3" ahead of the helmet), arm restraints, fireproof pants, the 5 jacket for a 3, and neck collar. I see the benefit on all those items. That is the risk I'm willing to take, but the system won't allow it.

In fact, I've been thinking of only running the Crosley because it is much easier to do alone, with no helper.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. injected27

injected27

Look NHRA is a buisness. Like any buisness they have to make money. They have rules and insurance people to please. They also have to buy or lease property for strips. Last time I checked land in georgia,alabama and tennesee is a whole lot cheaper than any where else. Our insurance is cheaper and cost of living and pay scales are lower. I will say the NHRA has to do a average across the board on pricing for entrie fees and other cost. I am having to pay more than I should so they can have tracks all over the country. I am fine with that I like to travel and race as muc as I do at home.I am not complaining about the cost. As far as saftey goes my street roadster was found illegal because it has .116 on the rollcage instead of .118 this would really tick some folks off. I figure it is what it is and I will replace the entire upper part of the drivers compartment. I asked about the gussets required on the street roadster but not on dragsters or altereds. I was told it had to do with the weight of the car. Then I was told about a guy turning a street roadster over and it sheered the entire top cage off with his head. I think the gussets are a great idea now and will even put them on the sdra car. I just posted this for someone to put saftey into the way of thinking. Some people dont want to think that way and that is there right to do so!!!!!!

3. Old28

Old28

old6, the change had nothing to do with the speed and was more about the construction of the cars. In short some running were real junk, incorrect cage tubing, wrong thickness, face sticking out the front of cage, wrong size helmet bars and on/on/on. I know how your blood sugar level sets you off, just keep it fun & interesting. If I am upset with your comments you will know it. Now go take your insulin.;):rolleyes:

440, Stop fretting over the rules and get the HA/MGR done so we can see it on the track:D

old sparks, I still think you will look fine in your 20 suit & fire boots, It may be the break I need to beat you after you cook for 30 min at 105 deg in August.:D

bobw, You have the best of both worlds, a small fleet of race cars that you can pick & chose from. Remember you still got to wear that 5 suit in that "Outlaw HA/AGR", way too much motor for a 1 suit.;):rolleyes:

injected 27, Just keep doing what you are doing, be safe, and I will try to keep old6 on his medication.

This is a good group and we have a good time throwing concerns back & forth. Remember everyone has their own opinion just like other body parts. Build, Race & Have Fun.:eek::)

Now you can work on me for awhile and give injected27 a break.:D

4. injected27

injected27

Thanks Old28 I am sorry but I will stand my ground on saftey anyday anytime anywhere. I have done alot of reading on drag racing history an not just record breaking performace either. There has been way to many fatal injuries to over look saftey. I was laid up in the bed when bernstein broke 300. I watch the results on tv and read about it National Dragster. Bill Elliott won 4 in a row for Junior Johnson in the same time period. I got to watch all of this because I could not walk and had about 75 staples. Its the kind of thing that never leaves a man. I think we all want a safe racecar. Sometimes we just have to look at the way others are thinking.

5. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

I've changed my opinion at least a dozen times reading this last page. My thoughts:

The purpose of NHRA, NASCAR, or any other sanctioning body"s rules is to protect the insurance company, and their bottom line, not the racer. Its like taxes. Once you accept that the purpose of tax law is to separate you from your money, you can forget about fairness and common sense, and sleep much better!

I have some background in sprint cars. They tend to hit each other, walls, tires, and most anything else available. After impact they almost routinely flip, tumble and roll. They run in packs of 8 to 24. It strikes me as funny that cars that lap a 1/4 mile dirt oval in 12 seconds, in traffic, thirty times in a row, don't have to have a certified cage, but the guy who drives alone down a wide straight asphalt 1/4 mile once does!

Even though you enter the event of your own free will, and sign a release freeing the track of any responsibility, you or your heirs still have the right to sue.

I've seen posts from guys who bolted on a set of slicks, "just to see.....!" Add some nitrous, and our 12-second car is in the tens. Maybe this is what the NHRA inspectors are seeing when they look at these cars?

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I have to be honest, I hadn't looked at it that way. Without our own class we're tucked in classes where that'd be legal. And let's face it, the spin-off classes're already doing exactly that (minus the juice to the best of my knowledge ...... so far), modern hides, modern slushpumps, more modern engines, more modern internal mods, etc. So why shouldn't NfHRA see it that way, since they won't run us in the class we designed for at the outset. Actually, even that class'd be too wide open for what we're intended to be.

7. injected27

injected27

Old6 the car we are building may have a v8 chrysler in it one day. I have to have a car that I can bracket race. I know you can do that with a stick but it is alot harder. We all like to see what it will do with a little of this or that. This is the one thing all of us have in common.As far as the NHRA goes we need them to a point just like they need us. They had the slogan dedicated to saftey back in the 50's. I think they need to back off on something but I will do what I need to get the car on the track.

8. captmullette

captmullette

AMEN WELL SAID. thank you.....

9. injected27

injected27

I am looking for the pieces that fasten the intake and exhaust manifold on a 302 GMC engine. It is for a old firetruck the county is restoring for parades. My uncle is doing most of this and can not find them. Any help would be most appricieated. thanks Jason

10. moracing

moracing
    from arizona

injected27 do you have a pic of what your looking for I have a bunch of little odds and ends from a 302 gmc bolts bad head

11. injected27

injected27

Well have not made any progress in the last few weeks. I bought my wife a jeep wrangler with a bad motor. I really don't like the idea of a chrysler being in my yard. I made her title and insure it. But on a brighter note I have got my old van norman boring bar out and I am ready to sleeve the block. I will get some practice before I start on my race motor and she is none the wiser. My partner has had a few problems holding him back also. I also had to help on a 50th wedding party for the in-laws. It was a worth while cause just kinda hold me up on finishing the first car. I am dieing to see some results from the races out west.

12. bobw

bobw

Yes, we want to see some video from our Left Coast brothers.

I got delayed by a 49th wedding anniversary. But, it was my own.

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Congrats Bob, we just hit 46 in January. :D

14. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been married for 47 years. Unfortunately I wore out three wives getting there. :(

I guess that I just don't do well without having someone to tell me what I should be doing! :D

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Still on the first one. Don't know how she has put up with me this long, but I'd hate to have to try and start over at this point. :D

16. injected27

injected27

Well I have got a handle on my boring bar. It did a wonderful job on the wife's engine. I bought me a very nice snap-on valve grinder today. I will be ready to get the machining done on that slant6 when ever we get back on it. hope all is well with everyone and it sure has been a nice spring so far in Georgia!!!!!!!!

17. injected27

injected27

Well have not did anything on my car but I did go help my partner run his duster last night in the foot brake class. I ran a 8.28 in the 1/8th in the only pass I made he was consistent at 8.30. This car has a 3.23 gear and a 440. It was driven about 85 miles on the interstate to a big car show. It is a true street car. He went three rounds and the car was flawless. It was fun night and I seen a lot of old friends. I even had to do some redneck tuning to get he car to hook up.

18. injected27

injected27

Well we made another shot with the ol Duster a couple weeks back. He give it away at the line. It was a fun night. We are gonna get started back after labor day. We might have them both going for next year maybe. I hope everyone has had a great summer it has been the cool and wet down south all summer.

19. injected27

injected27

Well racing season has been a bust. I guess I will go deer hunting instead!!!!

20. injected27

injected27

Happy Thankgiving to all. It has been a tough year for me to get much done but the winter is looking more productive. I am also trying for a promotion at work. I have not gotten it yet but I am well on my way to it. Maybe we will have one car going for next year!!!!!!!!

21. injected27

injected27

Well Santa done brought me a GoPro I am tickled to death. I hope everyone has a happy holiday and enjoys the holidays.

22. injected27

injected27

Well looks like everyones season is starting to get rolling but up in th ice zones. I hope everyone has a good season. My partner is focusing on a Hemi duster project and I have came across some good cheap small block chevy parts. I am trying to get the rear engine car going to do a little summer bracket racing. Might get back on my ol SDRA car sometime in the future if money will hold out.

23. injected27

injected27

Well with my daughter and wife's plan for a band trip to hollywood in november my racing budget has really took a hit. Had some good folks step up and give me some stuff to keep me moving but at a much slower rate. I still have not give up on a May race date but it will be in the end of the month instead of the first. Hope everyone is making progress with there cars.

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

They're doing the old Santa Clause Lane parade? :cool:
    I marched that one a couple times back in high school (mumble) years ago.
    Good times. :D

25. injected27

injected27

Yep was gonna drive out and hang out for a week but them band teachers are smarter than me. On a good note might have a sponsor for some NHRA stuff. God blesses in so many ways,