Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Norm's A build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norms30a, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Bluedot

Bluedot

Haha, that's funny, because the color I'd picked was just one shade away from the one you picked. I chose Burgundy. I like the Royal Maroon too - would be 2nd choice. But (a) darker colors would not be friendly to my so-so bodywork, and (b) Oklahoma summers with no A/C are tough with dark colors.
    What kind of paint will you use? I am shooting lacquer because of my poor painting skills and lack of proper equipment/facility for urethane. Plus I've always been puzzled with how to avoid urethane waste - gotta use whatever you mix. I still have some lacquer I thinned about 7 years ago for a previous project - could still use it today if I wanted to.

2. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I think Bluedot has hit a lot of nails on the head but i would caution you that if you have never sprayed metallic before, i would have someone at hand that has, because it can go south very fast i.e.too dry, too wet and get metallic sag or the good old tony the tiger stripes and it takes a little better gun with the right tips to paint metallic ,'Im probably telling you something you already know right:eek:

3. norms30a

norms30a

Over the years I have made every mistake there is, runs, sags, stripes, dry lines, dirt in air lines, oil on primers, insects, finger prints, humidity, you name it.
    Fortunately I have some friends who are pros and since I am not competing with them they give me tons of advice.
    I have a really good Binks, a little old, but in mint condition and does a nice job.

I only mix enough for what ever pieces I'm doing I guess I have never tried to save mixed paint.

I like to spray in winter as I can control temp and humidity and no bugs lol.
    The main reason I have been considering solid color with out metallic is because the oldcars were painted that way, I sometimes wonder if base+clear is too modern of a look for a traditional kind of hot rod.

I guess that in the end I will have to get whatever I really love the looks of the best, lol.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  4. Great build Norm. Enjoying looking at your good work. Anxious to see paint.

5. Nothing sucks more then having a bug fly in and land on the middle of a panel you just finished laying a fresh coat of paint on. Been there done that. Its even better when its your last coat of clear!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 56effie

56effie

Great build Norm... Can't wait to see it done... Keep up the good work..

7. norms30a

norms30a

First color,:D

Attached Files:

8. Bluedot

Bluedot

Terrific! First color ranks right up there with the thrill of first engine start.
    Is that the TCPGlobal Royal Maroon Lacquer you mentioned? If yes, please give us a quick review on their service and product.

9. norms30a

norms30a

Hey Bluedot, yea first color was mighty exciting, I've seen the color on others cars but not on MINE.

I chickened out on buying on line so last Sunday I spent the day driving around car lots looking at new cars to see if I could find the color I was looking for.

I was ready to give up because none were just exactly right, then just before sunset I decided to drive through one last lot and then go home and I saw "it".

A brand new VW Passat, but since the sun was setting I couldn't be completely sure so, I went back the next morning in full sun, and yup it was "it".

So I went to my local Auto body supply store and got the paint from them.

10. Bluedot

Bluedot

Seems like few OEM colors are without any metallic at all these days. Is this just a solid maroon? And you got it in lacquer like you'd planned? I'll bet the VDub had a clearcoat too - will you clear it?

11. norms30a

norms30a

Bluedot, I decided to go all modern because I like this specific look. It is base coat, clear coat with metallic and non lacquer. Just another modern paint job I guess, but, if that is what it took to make me happy.........:D

12. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Great color! can't wait to see the rest painted...

13. Bluedot

Bluedot

Nothing wrong with that IMHO. There are things on my coupe that aren't traditional either. I do not claim traditional, only traditional influence, as I actually see in many HAMB cars. The only two really important things are (1) safety, and (2) that you like it. Everything else is optional.

I look forward to seeing the finished paint.

14. norms30a

norms30a

Bluedot I like your words"traditional influence". I think I will describe my car that way from now on, such as: I built my A with an traditional influence but.....

15. Ford Blue

Ford Blue

Very Nice work!!!

16. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Sweet-- You sir have good taste, a 30 model A :Dand killer color:cool:

17. norms30a

norms30a

Shot some more color,:) My daughter had to make my new camera computer friendly so I could post these pics, darn technology.

Attached Files:

18. norms30a

norms30a

I put color on about 50 little pieces, made for a long day,:)
    and yea it is a killer color, at least I like it anyway.

Attached Files:

19. Bluedot

Bluedot

Looks great - I can see how you fell in love with the color!
    And oh how I envy the workspace you have for painting. Plenty of room and good lighting sure make it easier to do a good job. Much better than the attached garage we have for our daily drivers with only 4 150W incandescent bulbs....
    Gonna build a shop soon, I hope.

20. norms30a

norms30a

Hi Bluedot, My shop is an old farrowing barn that was sitting empty and the walls were shot ( pigs will do that). So I jacked the roof up and moved it, poured a new floor and set the roof (note the sloping walls) down on the new floor.

Lots of bracing, insulation, and some white tin, presto, instant shop, lol. I just wish I had room for a hoist, but since my walls slope I can't have one to the side, and I don't want one in the middle, oh well.

Hope you get your shop soon, it's a good thing.

21. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

Eye hooks, electric fence wire and carabeaner clips make a heck of a good improvised dolley system, I clip a miniature blockand tackle to the carabeaner and hoist parts up to paint. I use this system to paint bicycle and dirt bike parts, it's kind of rednecked but depending on the heaviness of the materials you use to build it, you can hold a significantly size part from it.

22. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

This is a great build! Thanks for sharing. I'm doing a similar coupe right now. I'm wondering if you wouldn't share a little more info on the hood bolt system you used? I'm after the same effect. I think you said it was a deadbolt? Is this something you bought and adapted or fabricated yourself? Thanks again for sharing your work. It is coming together great.

23. norms30a

norms30a

Bikertrash, my hood latches are home made. I used some steel gas line and some stainless steel rod and a spring and a bit of really small wire to make each latch.

I cut 2 pieces of gas line about 2 and a half inches long each, for the stainless rod to slide inside of.

In the first picture you can see where I put 4 spot welds on each of the tubes along the inside edge of the hood sheet metal----invisible from below, which I like.

In the second picture you can see how I sandwiched the spring, which I got at my local hardware store, between the 2 tubes, the front of the spring pushes against the small wire I pushed through hole I drilled the stainless rod for.Blow this picture up big and you can see pretty well everything I did.

Obviously i heated and bent the stainless rod 90 degrees, making a handle.

In the 3rd picture you can see how I welded 1 inch of tube to some sheet metal, fitted it, and bolted it to the grill shell to radiator mount bolt.

Pic. 4 you can see how I welded the piece of tube to the firewall, I did not want to do that in case I ever run it hoodless but, I could think of no other way to mount it cleanly.

Lots of measuring before welding and it worked well for me, good luck.

Attached Files:

24. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

This is a very cool way to latch the hood top! very clean.

25. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I hear ya on the great workspace... I am also trying to paint parts in the attached garage... lighting is key for sure!

26. norms30a

norms30a

Got a little more done, doors are a little bigger and turned out ok, no runs or sags. I now have just the body shell and 4 wheels left. I did the wheels in black some time ago but I like the maroon better, so, get out Mr sandblaster. The camera flash washed out the color in these pics.

Attached Files:

27. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Thanks Norm! You're a good egg.

28. norms30a

norms30a

The wheels on the rod go round and round, and now they are maroon :D

And a pic of a little oops.

I also took off my frame for tipping the body on end, going to start on the body next.

Attached Files:

29. What make are the tires? They look like the Coker classic radial but then they look like Hurst also. Either way I like the choice because they have a bias flare to them. Car is looking great. Only thread I've ever read all the way through. Used to come out to Watertown for the Vintiques rod run when I lived in Rapid City. I was amazed at how many cars were being built or had been built in that town.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!