Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Norm's A build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norms30a, Jan 11, 2011.

1. norms30a

norms30a

Got to lower the top before driving or I'll hit overhead wires.

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looks great, Norm!

3. myktrans

myktrans

4. norms30a

norms30a

Stuck in my Lokar shifter and E brake handle today, that's one long handle:p

thanks guys.

Attached Files:

5. norms30a

norms30a

Got done with fall harvest so, I started to work on the A by putting transmission lines on.

First attempt and I couldn't bend the tubing sharp enough so a trip to my true value store for a couple 90 degree fittings and much better now.

I also finished the front part of the floor except for the hump.

Attached Files:

6. Ram horns look good on it too..
    Nice A, thanks for sharing.

7. norms30a

norms30a

I Built a transmission hump and it actually turned out pretty nice, considering who built it, lol. The next time I start thinking I'm a good metal worker I will just think about this simple hump project, that should bring me back to reality, lol.

Attached Files:

8. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

You're making great progress... Keep up the good work!!!

9. norms30a

norms30a

Thanks Chopt top, the hump will look perfect under carpet, lol.

Made some 3/8 rods to hold the radiator, and lowered the grill shell an inch and a half, looks better that way.

I put a little light on the situation, or should I say some big lights on the situation.

Attached Files:

10. greaser

greaser

Great work Norm! I like your style.

11. norms30a

norms30a

Thanks, did a little work to my dash. I found that a 283 connecting rod with a 2 inch crank is the perfect fit for my 2 inch column .

I decided to put in a column with a self canceling turn signal because it might be too loud in the car to hear the little clicking noise:p

Attached Files:

12. TurboX2

TurboX2

You are doing a great job! I hope mine turnes out half as nice as yours.

13. Risky

Risky

Good lookin ride. Can't wait to see the finished product.

14. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

15. norms30a

norms30a

Thanks, I finished the steering column mounting by bolting a piece of sheet metal to the floor with a hole in it and a nice wide metal tab. Then I just put a hose clamp around the tab and column and it's nice and tight. very easy to remove the column too.

Put in throttle cable and gas pedal today, the cable is from a 92 Buick as the end fits my Q jet perfectly. The cable housing is aftermarket and the pedal is from Speedway motors.

Still lots of little stuff to do.

Attached Files:

16. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

17. norms30a

norms30a

Thanks, did a couple small things today. I put headlight wires into conduit, kind of cleans up the front end .

I also got the license plate mount altered and put on, makin progress.

I will get some chrome bolts when I do final assembly on the plate frame too.

Attached Files:

18. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Great build,can I ask what are you using for your column and steering wheel.Thanks Roger

19. speedy383

speedy383

Good job norm,car came along way.what hight is your radiator.,is it stock or copped .

20. norms30a

norms30a

Thanks guys, My Steering column is from Ididit and is 35 inches long, I could have gotten a 30 inch one now that I have everything is in place, it sticks out from the firewall a few inches into the engine compartment due to bad measuring by me,lol.

The steering wheel is a re-production 40 Ford wheel that is made slightly smaller than original. It fits nicely in the little passenger space I have. Lots of places sell that wheel.

My radiator was built slightly shorter than stock 32 so I could lower my grill shell up to an inch and a half if I chose to do that, which I did.

21. norms30a

norms30a

Finished up putting in battery cables and gas line yesterday.

Attached Files:

22. norms30a

norms30a

Today I decided to take 3 1/2 inches out of the top, the pics. show how I did it working alone. Not too tough really:).

Tomorrow I will start fitting and spot welding everything together.

Attached Files:

23. norms30a

norms30a

Finished my first chop top last night, I got done with the garnish moldings.

I won't bore you with pics of the 22 cuts I made here and there to get everything to align, it was not the worst job I've done. It just takes some thinking as you go through it .

Also got a Rootlieb hood top for it. I ended up raising my grill shell up half an inch from the inch and a half I had lowered it.

Attached Files:

24. bfinch56

bfinch56

Real nice. sweet chop!

25. norms30a

norms30a

I decided to shorten my steering column by 5 inches since I had mis-measured when I ordered it. I cut the outer tube 5 inches shorter , then I removed the inner shaft which is 1 inch round and cut it so it sticks out of the outer tube by 1/4 inch.

I drilled some holes in the round for rosette welds and pushed 3/4 double D into the 1 inch about 4 inches, a nice snug fit.

Did some rosette welds and welded all around the end, nice and strong.

I got a couple Borgson joints and more double D 3/4 and joined the steering wheel to the tires for the first time, cool.

Put on radiator hoses, and an overflow tank, had more room on the drivers side for that.

Even stuck a radio in behind the seat, now I can take a red solo cup with me.;)

Attached Files:

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Norm.Looking real good.Loving it that your"Inspector General"is getting involved in the build.Looks like"Puss-N-Boots"is involved too.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I really enjoyed looking through this build

It has all the modern conveniences, but still has the right look. And its not trying to be something its not. Its a good reliable hot rod.

The chop came out killer, and the hood top looks great. I like it a lot better.

I would give you crap for the radials, but they look like bias plies at a glance.. so ill cut you some slack :)

28. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

looks good, Norm.

can't wait to get a ride in it, and shoot some photos...

29. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

looks good, Norm.

can't wait to get a ride in it, and shoot some photos...

30. norms30a

norms30a

Thanks guys, woodbutcher, puss-N-Boots, thats good,lol. He's in there a lot when it's cold out.

1951 Streamliner, you hit it right on the head,"a good reliable hot rod" is exactly what I'm trying for. It's a 60 mile round trip to Sioux Falls to do some crusin so I want reliable.

The radial tires are part of the reliable thing, after having built and driven 2 T buckets I know really well what sacrificing for a certain look is.

I am going to add one or two or three other things that will not be HAMB friendly, like the radio is not ,but since it's behind the seat out of sight I can cheat with it there.

The reason I put the radiator overflow on the drivers side is because of condenser lines in the way on the pass. side. So that says that there will be air conditioning in this car, my thinking is--- a comfortable car is driven more, and I want to use this thing as a daily driver, making my work even more fun.

I thought putting a hood top over the engine would draw your eye away from, and partially hide the air stuff.

Also thanks to Randy Gribble at Lake City Rod and Custom in Watertown for all the time he spent with me recently, setting me up with the right parts and all the advice and build tips, he is very patient with this farmer.