Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Norm's A build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norms30a, Jan 11, 2011.

1. norms30a

norms30a

I altered the top of the spindle a little bit and everything fits real nice:).

Attached Files:

2. norms30a

norms30a

Got ready to put the trunk latch in and I found it was for a rumble, so I whacked off a little over half an inch and cut a new grove for the lock and now it fits nicely.

I built a little rain gutter for the bottom of the trunk lid and put some adjustable rubber stops on it and a very simple adjustable latch.
    When I was done with that I changed the side gutters to drain into the bottom gutter, then out through a couple drain hoses in each corner of the bottom gutter.

Attached Files:

3. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Lookin' good norm!!! Keep up the good work!!!

4. 60 ford

60 ford

Nice work, looking good

5. norms30a

norms30a

:)Thanks for the good words guys. Nasty rain and sleet, soggy kind of a day so I decided to fix a little thing I've been putting off.

At some point the car was in reverse and the door handle had hooked something and was ripped forward and off of the door.

The little nuts that held the handle in place had been ruined and the tin they mounted to was mangled, so I made a new piece today and got it welded in and the handle fits well.:)

Attached Files:

6. norms30a

norms30a

I made a divider between the passenger compartment and the trunk, seems like a good idea since the trunk lid doesn't have a seal .

Kept the metal from touching the quarters by about 1/8th inch, I'll probably use some seam sealer there.

Also mounted some 48 Chebby style tail lights, these are LED with all the little bulbs and have really bright brake lights. Seems like a good idea with the tank on the back. Got to let people know when I'm stopping.

Got to start on a battery box so I dug out my old hollowed out battery so I have a dummy that's nice and light for a pattern maker.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  7. norms30a

norms30a

I Took a battery tray out of a 92 Buick, fixed a little rust and coated it with a thick coat of POR 15 and welded it in.

I want nice easy access to it since I will probably pull it out in winter.

Ordered brake line parts and wheels and other stuff a while ago, now I am waiting for that stuff so I'm not getting much done right now:(.

Attached Files:

8. norms30a

norms30a

Went to a local salvage yard and got a middle seat out of a 99 Chrysler mini van.

The seat did not fold forward when I got it so I cut slots on the sides and now it folds nicely.

My helper decided to ham it up for the HAMB.

9. norms30a

norms30a

Attached Files:

10. PinHead

PinHead

Looking really good so far, lots of nice works.

Whereabouts you from, must be my neck of the woods? Gonna have her done for Automania in June?
    :D

11. norms30a

norms30a

PinHead, I'm not to far from Sioux falls, so I guess I'm in your neck of the woods, lol

As for as when it will be done, hmmm I really don't know, for example I have had a 2 month wait for wheels and some other small things so I'm not nearly as far along as I had hoped to be, and I don't know what other delays might pop up.

My plan is to build it then knock it apart and paint it so lots of hours yet to do.

12. norms30a

norms30a

Got my seat install finished, saved the cup holder, don't know if there will be room to use it with 2 people in the car.

Attached Files:

13. norms30a

norms30a

Got my brake lines run and my inspector approves!:D

Attached Files:

14. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Its looking good Norm!

15. norms30a

norms30a

Found these pics on what I did to the seat mounts, I plan to have a skirt around the base after upholstery so appearance isn't so important.

Attached Files:

16. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Norn, Great job on the A! Too cool that your daughter is there with you, Your a lucky guy for that!!!!!

17. norms30a

norms30a

Sprayed rims and mounted the tires. Lined the blue circles up with the valve stems, don't know if that is really necessary but what the heck.

Now I have a really dirty engine to clean.

This is the first time I have had a roller since it was like my avatar.

Attached Files:

18. norms30a

norms30a

Did a little engine cleaning and then I hung it in place for a first test fit.

I have a Mallory distributor that I am going to put in and then check it again.

Attached Files:

19. Hemi Bucket

Hemi Bucket

Excellent work Norm, just read it from start to finish, subscribed.

20. norms30a

norms30a

I decided to put new gaskets on the 350 before putting it in the car, so off came the stuff that leaks.

While I have the intake off I drilled the back area of the manifold and moved the PCV valve there.

I made a new baffle which I installed by drilling the manifold and putting in a couple screws and spot welding them so they can never move. I must add, I do not know if this baffle will work, I have read several threads about engines sucking oil after doing this.

I took the lifters out to make sure everything was well oiled and I found 1 lifter has a dark stain and under a magnifying glass I can see a line of pitting, I can just feel it with my finger nail. The lifter on the right is what they should look like.

I was told this engine was a recent overhaul and I can see dots on the rod caps so I know it has been apart but I now think the overhaul may have just been bearings and rings, if that.

So now I will continue to build the car and when it is ready to drive I will pull out the engine and go through it, I was thinking about a roller cam and roller rockers anyway, so, this gives me the excuse to put them in. ;)

Thanks for the good words guys.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

22. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

23. norms30a

norms30a

I decided the baffle was not enough so I took it off and put a stainless steel pot scrubber there then put the baffle back on.

Attached Files:

24. Very nice build. Which steering box are you using.

Thanks
    Dehoux

25. norms30a

norms30a

It's a Vega style box from Pete & Jake

26. I appreciate your quick reply to my post.

Frenchy

27. norms30a

norms30a

I put the engine in for a second time with the Mallory distributor in it but it is still too tight so out it came for some firewall work.

After several times in and out I finally got everything fitting well with 5/8 of an inch clearance in front of the bottom fan blade and slightly more at the top.

I have about the same amount of room behind the distributor.

It looks more like a hot rod with the engine in it, kind of a milestone :D

28. norms30a

norms30a

pics

Attached Files:

29. Looks great Norm, you've made some killer progress!

30. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

looking good, Norm...

when can we go for a ride?

we don't need no stinking paint...