Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Norm's A build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norms30a, Jan 11, 2011.

1. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05

2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I kinda like the 32 tank on an A....

3. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

AND it gives you a lot more trunk space compared to one with the tank in the trunk!:)

4. norms30a

norms30a

That's the main reason I am putting it on the back:). Now if I could just make the battery disappear :p!
    Now all the gas stuff is on the outside of the car,less worries about fumes or leaks, and easy to fill too.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  5. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Have U seen these batteries?
    http://www.tpibatteries.com/
    Don't know anyone that has one yet---was thinking about buying one,but my battery is pretty new yet

6. norms30a

norms30a

I haven't heard of those batteries, looks really interesting. The biggest problem I can see is if it were to go dead away from home I would have to get a new full size to keep going, then I would probably leave that one in for 5 years since I have it.

If I could get em locally I think those would be the way to go.

7. Any updates? The car is lookin great!

8. norms30a

norms30a

Been busy with farm stuff, I'll get back on it real soon.

9. norms30a

norms30a

Rigged up a hill billy porta power so I could push the right quarter out about 1/8th of an inch. Looks silly but it got the job done:p.

I need to roll the thing outside so I can do some sandblasting before I start putting in the floor, but the ground in front of my shop looks like this:(. 5 days of rain and snow will do that, April showers,puh.

Attached Files:

10. norms30a

norms30a

After stopping last spring to do farm work which lasted until new years due to beautiful weather, I have now gotten started again.

I first did some sandblasting underneath, then I made some wood blocks for under the bolts in the old part of the sub rails, then after fitting everything together and welding the old and new together I finished putting the last patch panels in.

The last couple days I made the under floor support much like I have seen done here . Next is the sheet metal floor.

Attached Files:

11. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

Welcome back, we missed the updates on this ride.

But you're right, the weather has been great through the end of 2011.

12. dexleo2

dexleo2

Nice work!.......keep up the good work!..........Love the ford Model A

13. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Lookin' Good Norm!!! Welcome back after your lengthy hiatius...

14. norms30a

norms30a

Been working on the floor from back to front, made a little door so I can access my gas line and fuel sender easily.

Done to the front edge of the door, waiting for my trans. to get done so I can do more.

Attached Files:

15. norms30a

norms30a

Been doing some measuring before getting a radiator and I think the shell will need to come down a couple inches

Attached Files:

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good to see you're back at it... Nice work!

Malcolm

17. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

looking good Norm

18. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Rolfs car is soooooo sweet! Me and dynaflash_8 went up to his place to pick up some tires not knowing it was him and we got to see it up close.

19. norms30a

norms30a

Thanks fellas, Malcolm, I've been following your build and you are building a really nice one, with lots of neat detail.

60galaxieJJ, wish I'd been with you that day!

20. norms30a

norms30a

I went to Watertown a few days ago to talk about getting some parts at Randy Gribble's shop, and while I was there I got punched :eek:!!!

Yesterday I got the rear suspension put on, I had to trim just a little sheet metal for everything to fit just right . Now I have about 3 and one half inches of travel before anything would hit. That is with the 2 shortest leaves in the 9 leaf spring removed.

Today I have to do some finish work on the metal edge that I trimmed yesterday.

Attached Files:

21. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

not trying to be negitave nacy but that grill looks to strait up and down like it needs to be laid back. just my 2cent great build

22. norms30a

norms30a

I'm planning to lower the grill shell one and a half inches and I'm thinking I might run a hood top, not sure yet.

So when I put the radiator in I will try to set stuff up so a hood top will fit from a 32 as that is really close to the right length . The pic I took was really just to see how tall it was, you are right, the angle looks off to me too.

23. Subscribed! Great build, Norm, we are on close levels, so I watch attentively.

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow!! really looks great!! You're doing a nice job!

25. patman

patman

Assy called, he wants his press back...:D

26. speedy383

speedy383

look's good norm. I have the same frame from pete&jake's with a 30 roadster and just getting started with my build. Your's look's real nice!

27. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I really like the visor. If I could find a guy with some die's like that I'd consider getting mine punched.

I've thought about cutting my wheelwell for axle clearance and wondered if moving the bottom of the center bead up above the cutout would be worth the effort???

28. norms30a

norms30a

After I was sure I had the rear housing in straight and square I took it out again and put it together, it has a 4.11 to 1 gear ratio.

I hope this ratio works with 31 inch tall tires and a 700R4 automatic.

When I had the rear out I did raise the bottom of the center bead up about 3/4 of an inch, I just think it's just a little more finished looking and it was not really hard to do just some heat and some hammer and dolly time to shrink it.

I also welded on a half inch lip on the inside where I had cut out for a more finished look, kinda got rid of the raw cut edge.

Keep in mind I am not a pro metal worker, some of the work I do will require a little bit of bondo to make it perfect.

Attached Files:

29. norms30a

norms30a

Started working on the front end and it looks like I will have to work on the spindle a little bit to get the backing plate to fit just right.

Attached Files: