Register now to get rid of these ads!

Norm grabowski 1933-2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLAT-TOP BOB, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Sanford Graham

Sanford Graham

Very sad news indeed. God Speed Norm........

2. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

God bless you and your family. Rest in peace Norm.

3. Back in '89, Norm showed up at my wedding reception. Uninvited. And a good time was had by all.
    R.I.P.

4. Man ... that takes the wind out of my sails .........

Unfortunately, I never met him face to face, but I was hoping to before he or I passed on.
    He was one of the first to have an influence on me. God bless him!

5. mow too much

mow too much

Very sad, Norm had an influence on me as a child as I'm sure he did on many of us, had a nice vist with him about 20 years ago when my friend Dan was doing some metal work on the Kookie Kar 2 for him. R.I.P.

6. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

god speed norm. you will will forever live in the hearts and minds of us all

7. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

rest in peace !

8. the other me

the other me

Damn.... R.I.P Norm
    GODSPEED my friend.

9. 296ardun

296ardun

He started doing his best work in the mid '50s, with a car on the cover of HRM then, and here is it 60 years later... there are 16 pages of condolences in a single day...that says a ton about his legacy ... can't think of many others in our hobby who would deservedly rate such tributes, and he deserved them all.....RIP, Norm

10. Arky_118

Arky_118
    from Arkansas

Sucks, I just came home to a message on the phone. Man I am down over this. Having known Norm since the day he started building hi little house on Bull Shoals Lake, on Bear Creek. Having been allowed the honor or driving the Henway!! The world of Hotrods will not be the same. Never was the same after he built Kookie T bucket!

Just got off the phone with Mary, his niece. Services still not firm at this time.

Attached Files:

11. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I remember the 1st time I saw him. He was on the old "Ozzie & Harriet Show", driving his bucket T and played a friend of Ricky's. Man did I want to be him, and have a cool car like he had. I loved reading articles about him and his cars. Whether it was his bucket T, or his Henway truck. He made some cool shiftknobs, and canes also. Rest in peace Norm. Prayers said for his friends and family.

12. jaxx

jaxx

DEEPLY saddened - thanks Norm for the movies, the memories, and the motovation - jaxx

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

There's no way of overestimating what Normie Poo meant to us, his loss is huge but his legacy lives on.

14. williebill

williebill

So sorry to read this,Godspeed to Norm.. Never met him,but knew of him most of my life..and thanks to all who kept us on the HAMB informed during his illness.

15. autobilly

autobilly

RIP Mr Grabowski, your impression on me was profound. I'm truly saddened by this news.:(

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

RIP Norm. This is a reminder to all of us. Nobody lives forever.

17. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Rest in peace Normie. Your suffering is no more. I love you buddy. I hope our houses in heaven are next to each other.

Doc.

18. Arky_118

Arky_118
    from Arkansas

Back in maybe 72 0 73, we were cruising the Sonic is Harrison AR, Norm was doing a pretty good show with the Henway, coming out of the Sonic and spinning tires. Anyway one of the local cops was hitting the blue lights when about 10 of us pulled out in front of the cop.

Later across from the Sonic Norm was autographing everyones underwear, , he would give us a wedgie and sign them. for getting him out of the shit!.

I was up in Bear Creek fishing once, and out in the fricken Middle of Bear Creek arm of the lake were two nutz in a canoe, one was Norm the other was Bert Reynolds. Bert without hair piece to boot. They were fishing, not trying to catch any fish, just fishing.

Throttle cable broke on his big assed boat once endup up the boat ramp about 20 yards.

Damn old fart was a lot of fun.

RIP Man

19. RodStRace

RodStRace

I met him at a couple different venues and the guy was a blast to be within shouting distance of... we have lost another hero.
    RIP NORM!

20. Thanks for the "Memories", we were big fans from day one !. At the Nat's in Tulsa,my wife triped over a cable and Norm came to her rescue, always the gentleman. R.I.P.
    Bill and Jean Dyson

21. I kinda' had the feeling this wasn't gonna' end well.:(

We're hurting down here in New Zealand today too... it's amazing how far and wide Norm's influence has spread (as you can see in my avatar).

I was very fortunate to get to meet Norm at Pleasanton back in '97. and I'll always regret not telling him that I was building a bucket hugely influenced by his, but at the time I figured he probably heard that kinda' stuff all the time and wouldn't really be interested.

I later named mine 'Kookie Too' as a tribute to the original, and acknowledged Norm's influence on my showboard.

[​IMG]

Anyway, when I got to meet Norm, He was 'entertaining' a bunch of older 'street rodders' who were all standing around the Kookie 2, trying (unsuccessfully) to figure out what engine he was runnin' . When they were all done guessing, I called out "isn't it a late model Cadillac?", at which point Norm spun around to look at me, and hollered out in his big ol' voice, " See, the kid knows!" .....I was 34 at the time:eek:

[​IMG]

RIP Norm:cool:

22. :(Just thought Id give ya all a insight to a email I got from Norm about2 years (10/10) or so ago.I had sent him a note saying hi and to let him know how much we on the HAMB enjoyed his work and history and thought he would like to see it,his words to me was that he was really glad to know that we all cared and knew the work (film,art,cars) he had done even if he wasnt acomputer guy it DID mean alot to him,NOrm did say he had someone give him the "scoop" about the HAMB form time to time,I also got a email from Billy F Gibbons,He to was saddened by Norms passing however it soon turned to fondness when remembering what a life Norm lead and that whenever anyone thinks about him they will smile for a long long time (short version).............and we were indeed lucky to be able to enjoy what he brought to us all.....................!:(

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  23. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I first met Norm at the Street Rod Nationals in Memphis about 1975. He was driving the Henway. Every time our paths crossed over the years he was always easy to talk to and a lot of fun. He lived life large.

Godspeed Norm.

John

24. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

We have known Norm for many years and will truly be missed. RIP NORM.......

25. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Sad news, but it's good to hear all the happy memories people have of him. He's gone, but he'll live on in all our tall tales.

dv

26. I knew Norm for close to 40 years and I'm deeply saddened by this terrible news. We had a lot of good times together and I'll miss him terribly.

Rest in peace, old friend.

27. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I've never met him but, like many, I've lived under his influence for most of my life. I remember watching "77 Sunset Strip" every week totally entranced with that car. It made a big impact on me...

So sorry to hear about another pioneer passing away.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  28. Southern Motors

Southern Motors

I was there and met him too, it was a lot smaller world back then it seems.

29. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

One of the best hotrodders ever!!!!