Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Nordic Fox is Closing Aug 31st

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Nordic Fox is closing

<SMALL>August 20, 2008 on 8:23 am | In General News | </SMALL>
    [​IMG]
    Flickr photo courtesy Googiesque
    The Nordic Fox restaurant at Paramount Boulevard and 3rd Street in Downey is closing later this month, manager Joe Becker confirmed today.
    Becker cited rising food prices and a decline in customers as the reason. The restaurant&#8217;s last day will be Aug. 31.

Lets have a farewell cruise for Joe and Jane. Joe is a car guy and I'm bummed because he has worked so hard with us to save the Broiler.

If anyone can put this together for Sat Aug 30th please start posting below. This is a 1968 constructed restaurant, It is very unique and is well worth a visit. Located @ 3rd and Paramount Bl. in the city of Downey.

2. slammed

slammed

Wish I could be there for the last supper. L.A. H.A.M.B. er's belly up to the grub!

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Oh Man! Bad weekend. Primer Nats that weekend, otherwise I'd be there.

4. I ate there almost all my childhood. But it was called Foxys when I was a kid. Dated one of the waitresses when I got older. The thing I remember the most was the wood sticking out from the walls that looked like a wood pile. And the toasters that were recessed down into the tables.

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Bob,
    We still call it FOXY's always will I guess now:(. Still has the toasters on the tables as well as the wood covered walls and the Ice Picks for the door pulls. Pretty sad time time for Joe and his aunt Jane, The used to own the Rives Mansion across the street. Had to sell both properties over the last few years, we've tried to get them business with our cruises. Joe is a super nice guy who watches the city change daily.

The Broiler isn't a threat to them because it serves up a different style menu,but he cited his reasons above, We have to figure out a way to help them out:confused: By doing a cruise at least they'd go out with a bang.

6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Put this on the Broiler post as well:

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Here is another Good point, The Nordic Fox won't be there next year,
    The Primer Nats will. Joe has helped us out a great deal with the Broiler,so this would be a perfect send off.
    I have no idea what it costs to get in there (Primer Nats)? Make the drive to Ventura on Friday Hang out all day. Spend part of Sat there and do the 1-1/2hr drive down to the Fox and grab a Giant HAM(B) steak (PM Burny about em, They're huge!) and pay your respects to it because it won't be there the next day! Probably will be after 4pm anyhow.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    All Roads Lead to the Broiler!

7. slammed

slammed

Will you be able to 'buy a piece of history'? Like a toaster, wall clock, ect. Could you take some interior pix Kevin?

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Very cool toasters! Great interior! Adriene is the pic head,not I. She & John have many images of this great place. I will see if she can submit a few for viewing.

9. Cyclone Kevin: I must tip my cap to you and your efforts to preserve Googie style and other forms of Americana. Someday Americans are going to look at the sadly homogenized appearance of American commercial architecture and be very wistful for such shining examples of buildings with character such as the Nordic Fox.
    I wish you all the best in your efforts.

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx 4 that. I wholeheartedly agree with you in reading the above.
    I'm like you, just tired of seeing no personality buildings.
    Everything was themed when I was kid, from laundry mats to car washes.
    It was interesting getting and looking around @ what cool doughnut shop you could drive thru, actually shaped like a big doughnut!
    "Googie is Good fro Everyone" so lets have some fun appreciating these places while they are still in existenece and if we patronize them,perhaps
    they will survive;).

11. jerry

jerry

I miss it all the time, nothing worse than seeing 2 or 4 of the same building on a street. Phoenix is reallybad about building preservation.

Kevin,thanks for your efforts.

jerry

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Your welcome Jerry, Just doing what we can to help out a brother rodder.

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well today is the day, I'll be there around 4pm, Coming down in the 50 jeepster, Hopefully Joe will get a good turn out, Hope to see som of you there.
    CK.