Register now to get rid of these ads!

noob flathead question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ytt49, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

i have a 49 shoebox with no motor ( came with 8ba)
    i came accross a complete V8 motor in a 37 ford truck with trans
    will this fit in the car or is it more work then its worth?
    this is my first flathead i have always done sbc.
    thanks jonathon

2. shainerman

shainerman

Anything will work, just depends on what you want and how bad you want it, haha. Personally I would hold out and try to find an 8ba. There are a lot of them out there, and that would make life a little easier. Thank you for wanting to stay with the flathead instead of going to the sbc. I applaud you.

3. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

thanks for a quick response.
    i can trade an older snap on roll away for it ,thats why i would pick it up.
    thanks again for the advice
    i might wait it out

4. shainerman

shainerman

Like I said there are a lot out there, but then again, it depends on the shape the motor is in on what its worth. If your tool box is pretty nice, maybe wait it out. I have found free turning 8ba's around where I am in Missouri for 100-200 bucks.

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I was told to get the 8ba

6. big bad john

big bad john

.........Good advise.....Flatheads will never go out of style.....wise choice....check out HAMB's flathead sites......

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are 3 generations of flathead Ford V8s, and while similar, are very different in many ways. So the first thing to know is what engine actually is in the truck. Some pictures, visual id, numbers, etc. would help. Odds are it's probably a later engine, maybe even an 8BA, as trucks led a rough life.
    IF it is a '37, it is only 221 cu.in., compared to the 239" 8BA originally in your '49, plus the fact it will not just bolt into the '49. You are much better off finding a '49-'53 Ford or Merc engine, as they are much more plentiful. You will also need a '49-'51 oil pan and bell housing, along with a '49-'50 transmission to make the job a "bolt in".

8. make the trade so you have something else to trade. sounds like a good deal if motors decent.

9. lawman

lawman

Wait ,wait and wait !!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

10. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

here is a few pics of the motor. but ithink i am going to wait for an 8ba
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

thanks again everyone.

12. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The problem with the pre 49 engines, aside from less horse power is they have the front distribtor as opposed to the more normal dist. You would be way better off with a 49 or later flathead. You can find them fairly easy. Hold out for the later model

13. flthd

flthd

Good job keepin the flathead, buy the complete motor and save it for a rainy day project.

14. Hey ytt49!
    I picked up my '49 about a year back. It has the later 8ba engine - a stock one with 2x2 setup. Like V8 Bob said, think you might be better off to find a '49 or later engine - one from the last generation. Make a few more horses!

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you get the 37 you're going backwards....big time. Just say no and go with an 8BA.

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hard for my old eyes to see on such a small picture, but that looks like a 24 stud engine, not a '37 221. Who knows, it may be a 59A, which if in running shape, is worth more than an old tool box. I'd say Get It!.:D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  17. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

my choice back in the days was to find a 53 Merc, direct interchange and more hp

18. Agreed. That is a 24 stud motor but since they started production in 1938 it could still be a 221 cuber.

Certainly worth a closer look to get a positive ID on what you have.

19. By my count it does look like a 24 stud. May be a later model. Get the numbers and check it out.

20. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

i will have to go the guys place and look for my self i will post up the pics and numbers. i my just get to resale it.
    thanks everyone

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Nothing wrong with a model '59, most people prefer them, i'd go a 255 or 239"er if possable, there are trans adapters to adapt to your current trans, it should damn near bolt in, only problem then might be clutch linkage and motor mounts

22. barry wny

barry wny

I need the trans. if you get the '37 stuff. I would want the whole truck, but too far for me.