Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods non-sticky electrical tape

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by themodernartist, Nov 16, 2016.

1. themodernartist

themodernartist

I'm about to do some wiring on my car (mainly engine compartment) and wondering if there is a special high temperature electrical tape that I can use. The usual stuff that is bought at hardware stores, etc. seems to get gooey and sticky with time and heat. Any ideas?
    Peace,
    Charles Fennen, Artist

2. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a couple of rolls of vinyl tape without the adhesive. It is the kind used to wrap wiring looms in 60s cars. It works well and is flexible. But, I cannot remember where I got it. Check with wiring and terminal suppliers. I'm sure you will find it easily. Maybe Summit or Jegs or Speedway.

(o[]o)

3. themodernartist

themodernartist

I can't use heat shrink at this point since all to the sensors and connectors are already wired into the harness. I needed to create a stand alone harness from the original OEM harness so I could find out if my engine would start and run. I temporarily installed the harness with PCM and everything worked beautifully first time out. Now is the time to start making it "pretty". I do have something from NAPA called Silicone Self-Fusing Tape, PN 784301. Is this what you may be referring to?
    Peace,
    Charles Fennen, Artist

Engine Wire Harness 1.jpg

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

5. lamboapache

lamboapache

Yes, your self fusing tape is what you need. AKA cold fusion tape. A little tricky to work with as it has the plastic between the layers. That's because it "Fuses" to itself very easily, and quite permanently. Take your time and go slow, works killer!

6. squirrel

squirrel

rfraze likes this.
  7. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

I have use same kind tape what hockey player use their hockey sticks. Works just fine!

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Hockey tape is a poor choice to wrap wiring.
    The glue makes an awful mess and breaks down over time.
    If you need to get at the wires later you will hate yourself when you see the sticky mess you will have to deal with as will the next guy if you sell the car.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

http://www.tesatape.com/industry/automotive/electrical_systems/wire_harnessing

10. Stop buying 'hardware store' cheap tape.... Buy a premium branded tape, I'd highly recommend Scotch 33 or Plymouth Premium; there is a big difference. Apply the tape warm (the roll should be at or above 70 degrees), do two half-laps, don't pull it real tight (just tight enough to get smooth even application), stretch it to break it then roll the loose end down with a single finger. For the very best results, try to 'form' the harness into it's final 'shape' while wrapping, that will avoid wrinkles when bending it into place.

11. evintho

evintho

Eastwood used to sell the correct harness tape but they've discontinued it. These guys have it.

http://www.wiringharness.com/
    Click on:
    Products
    Miscellaneous
    Non-Adhesive Harness Tape

A little pricey but it's the real deal!

12. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

Ok. Usually i use bigger wiring harnesses this kind cover https://goo.gl/images/2WQHC7 and end those heat shrink or tape. But that case when you have connectors allready in place, this might help https://goo.gl/images/9ZoWjI

13. Leakie

Leakie

Scotch brand 33 or the heavy duty 88 is probably the best

14. oldolds

oldolds

I have a friend that makes reproduction wire harnesses (Jeep) for a living. He uses tape with no glue. No matter how you wrap it the wrap will shrink and move. If it has glue on it it will leave a residue that will attract dirt. That is from the guy that makes them. I don't know where he gets his tape.

15. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

16. rfraze

rfraze

Closest to what you are asking for seems to be the no-adhesive from Ecklers that Squirrel posted. This is the same as some of the old harness wrap we have encountered, which must be secured at each end. Haven't seen or used the tesa tape that Blue One showed.

17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

18. Another good trick if you want easier access into the harness later is to 'reverse tape' it. Using a quality black electrical tape, start by 'anchoring' the tape with a couple of wraps at the start, then 'flip' the tape so the sticky side is out. Do one full half-lap wrap, then reverse the tape again and finish with a regular half-lap covering.

Another option is colored tape. Generally known as 'phase tape' and used to identify conductors that aren't available with colored insulation, it's commonly available in red, blue, brown, orange, yellow, white, and green. Be aware that you'll have to look for 'full size' rolls, and quality won't be as good as the regular black 'premium' tapes as this isn't used for actual insulation but strictly as marker tape. The red, orange, and yellow will fade easily if exposed to sunlight, so keep that in mind.

19. squirrel

squirrel

you can get colors of tape in " the good stuff" Scotch Super 33...but the Red, White, Green etc are called Super 35.

20. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California