Register now to get rid of these ads!

non solid axle "gasser stance" cars ... or trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stumpuller, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Stumpuller

Stumpuller

so I was wondering, not every gasser could possibly have a solid front axle.

so i asked a guy down the road who is considerd the local guru. who raced from the mid 60s till the early 90s FEDs to bracket cars and everything in between. (last car is in the garage a 72 nova with a 292 I-6, its amazing how hard that car pulls, but anyway)

he had pictures of a 66 chevy II he raced in the early 70s. lost the front bumper and ran like 1 1/2 inch coil spacers. 327 4 speed. good lookin car

i recall seeing pics of a 56 chevy on here getting a little wheel. and the lower a arms shinning.

ok lets see em!

2. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

[​IMG]

like this?

Duke

3. how bout this
    on a lift but at ride height

Attached Files:

4. long ladderbars req'd.........

Attached Files:

5. ronnie tidwell

ronnie tidwell
    from odessa tx

wow, very nice nice super

6. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Saw a few cars like that at some runs this year:.....

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. LilMo 56

LilMo 56
    from Cleveland

Thanks for starting this. Too many self-proclaimed gasser gurus out there think straight axles are the key to being a gasser. Check out 'Gasser Wars' by Larry Davis. Tons of great photo's from the Start of gassers, to the end.
    Plenty of shots with cars like ours, IFS, ball joint spacers, whatever it took. I used this book for reference while building Lil Mo, here.

Attached Files:

8. tommyk

tommyk
    from nj

Any ideas on how to raise a 62-65 nova with a stock front end?

9. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

10. jpm49c

jpm49c

Just ball joint spacers! John

Attached Files:

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ahh, look closely under that first early chev. I ran the spacers...I beam under my 59 vette. Between the crossmember and the frame. slick. Lippy

12. Thanks, It's a Fleetline. 400" sbc-4speed.

13. Stumpuller

Stumpuller

nice!! this is what im thinkin of!!

man, whats goin on under the front of the green 55?

im not familliar with ball joint spacers... but i know coil spacers, im actually ordering a set from mr gasket for the 66 wagon in my avatar.

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

We use to do this back in the 70's . We would take a Ford or Chev and put big block springs or truck springs in the front end . Worked every time but the ride really sucked ! We had to use air shocks in the rear so we could jam those wide 50 series tires under the back . Looked pretty good to but the ride wasn't there . Anyway who cared about the ride ! We just wanted a kool looking car !
    I still think it looks real good with the front end up high without the straight axle . I know the Real Gasser Guys will be pissed off but we are just having fun and like the way the car looks !

RetroJim

15. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

the green 55 looks like it is using lift spindles ,these were made back in the day using 4 spindle assamblys to make 2 by cutting and welding to move the spindle down on the assambly

16. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

[​IMG]mine has bj spacers and bb springs

17. chris55

chris55

Just got my balljoint spacers, still waiting on my springs. Can't wait to get started.

18. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Olds with '95 Falcon front coil springs.

Attached Files:

19. Yeah, too cool, I just got my spacers also. They came today and I ordered my springs yesterday. I was inspired by Dukes black 57, after contacting him I jumped on it right away. Considering doing this over the holidays.:cool::).

20. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

My 64 nova gasser i raced at atco and englishtown sat level and had 90/10 front shocks and 50/50 rear shocks i ran it from 1972 to 1975.

21. Ghost28

Ghost28

I think that most gassers were dictated by the centerline of the crank to the ground. As set forth in the drag race rule books, and not what axle it had under it. But axles are so cool...John

22. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Just came across this thread here are some of my pops five 7 with drop spindles. He built this car similiar to one he had in high school in 1970. Spindles were pretty popular around the KC area back in the 60s and thats where these came from. We have a 57 ford with the same hieght spindles and just picked up another tri five pair that are only 4 somethin inches as opposed to the 6 somethin these are.

[​IMG]

23. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

here are a couple more. If anybody out there has got a pair of dropped spindles for either tri five chevs or 57-59? Fords I am interested in buying them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Here are a few pics of an old gasser that used to run around in my hometown back in the 70s. Most likely same spindles as my dads he ran a 301 and a 57 old/poncho rear ladder bars etc. on an eigth mile track in my hometown. This car is sitting safely in his garage amongst about 5 original 55's all two doors with close to or under 100000 miles on them none of it has been touched in years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

I retract my statement, I am pretty sure those are the 4 3/4 inch drop spindles on the KS twister.
    here is where it sits today.

[​IMG]

26. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

These shots were takin a couple years ago. Looks just as it did the day it was raced the motor grenaded and is sitting in pieces next to it. My dad rembers seeing it pull into a car show at a grocery store back in the eighties. Said it was flat out nasty. Unfortunatly when I recieved my tour the motor had already been blown.

[​IMG]

27. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

28. lorodz

lorodz

sweet pictures ....anyone have somw close up pictures of how the spindles look ...i have heard people say drop spindles but i would have said they were raised .....to get the front higher...i would think to drop a car you would use drop spindles..????im confused ....

29. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

The centerline of the spindle itself is dropped which inturn raises the car. Hence the name "drop" spindles. Most of the ones done around here that I have seen were cut and welded by a shop called Wild Woody's in KC. I am making a trip back home and I can snap off some pics it you are interested.

30. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

here is a 55 owned and raced by the same guy. Not sure how its lifted but it would look pretty good without those wheels. He is a freak about those freakin wheels and so is his son. They run them on all there cars to this day.

[​IMG]