Register now to get rid of these ads!

Noise reduction mats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Jan 11, 2011.

1. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I'm looking for opinions on the best noise reduction mats for my 34 ford pick-up cab. The cab is mounted on vibration pads so I'm not concerned about vibration but rather simple noise. I've tried to check out several brands and have seen a show on the hush mat material but wondered if anyone else has compared them from experience.
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I have had real good luck with second skin audio. Used it on my off topic "mini truck" with great results. Have a box ready to go in my 50 when I get the floors finished. I used their mats for vibration as well as some of their padding and foam products for general noise.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

Later,
    Chad

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I just finished installing the mat in my Austin sedan. Got it from Home Depot, and it's dense foam backed (not asphalt backed!) sold in 15'x1' rolls in the heater duct section. Super cheap at $15 a roll. Foil backed and self adhesive. I love it, and even with the carpet not down yet it still made a huge difference in sound level!
    [​IMG]

4. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

5. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Foam backed would be pretty cool. I haven't seen that stuff. I know the asphalt backed stuff stinks out here in the summer so I stayed away from that option.

6. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

I have the HushMat so far in my roof and rear doors, and a little on the back floor, covered with the closed cell foam sold by lobucrod (member here)on ebay. I was amazed by how much more quiet it is from what I've done already, and I'm sure when the whole car is done it will be even better.

7. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Many thanks to everyone responding, the study was really impressive. Regarding putting lobucrod's insulation over the hush mat, can you tell me why you took the extra step to do that? Was it to provide heat insulation or better sound deadening?
    Thanks for the help.
    Tom