Register now to get rid of these ads!

Noise in my 8" Ford rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64gtoguy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

Maybe someone can diagnose this problem I am having with my 8" ford.

It has a slight sing to it and a very slight vibration while under load, the noise goes away under deceleration. Here is what I have done so far,, replaced the pinion bearings both inner and outer, checked the backlash on the gears (.010) the wear pattern seems to be ok. replaced both Ujoints.. The pinion angle is correct. The noise went away for about 300 miles,, but now it is back.. Looking for sugestions

Thanks Guys.

2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

first off, from my exp. the 8 inch ford rear end is one of the worst rear ends for noise.they are subject to gear noise. poor design on axel bearings, they are not fed with oil from the diff housing, they are a sealed bearing, no lube except whats put into them before being sealed. and none of the axel bearings seem to last to long.if its gear whine and you have driven it much more than a 100 miles, that noise is there pretty much to stay. you may improve it some with adj. but they are noisey. harmonic noise comes into play, because of under engineering.

3. Do the axel bearings, and the side bearins on the gear.

4. Chances are if there is noise on the acceleration /drive side that disappears while on decel/coast side it has a gear pattern problem.I find that once it is there I have to replace the pinion and ring gear as a matched set.I rebuild diffs at a Chrysler dealership....

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

maybe its not your rear end at all..might be the driveshaft

6. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

This car has been built for approx 5 years (37 Ford) with no noise problem at all until lately. The drive shaft is from Inland Empire and has been it the car since it was built. But will check it anyway....... Thanks for your input guys

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Never had any issues with 8" wearing out bearings or gears,put over 145,000 miles on mine behind a stout 289,4-speed,millions of them running down the road still today. I just helped a guy with a 63 Falcon,had similar issues,took out two rear u-joints before he brought it to me.Turned out his rear leaf springs were shot,would allow the pinion to droop and make the u-joints wail.New springs cured the problem. ROY.

8. Did you replace the crush sleeve and preload the pinion bearings when you replaced them?

There are "hunting" and "non hunting" gear sets. The non-hunting gears must be indexed together.

9. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

Thanks Roy,,,,,,, good suggestion,, BUT the car has a 4 link setup. I replaced the crush sleeve and did the bearing preload thing.

10. It sounds like the pattern on the drive side is worn. A new ring and pinion set up correctly will be quiet, but will probably be much cheaper to pick up a used pumpkin at your pick-n-pull.

8" and 9" Ford rears are great designs, but if a R&P wear pattern starts it can't be adjusted out for a permanent fix.

11. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

OK Thanks again guys,,,,,,,,Will the vibration come from the ring and pinion as well?

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

when checking over your driveshaft ..see if it had balance weights on it..(look like washers tac welded to it, or little square chunks of steel or aluminum if its an aluminum shaft) if one or both or any may have come off..it could cause an out of balance vibration.