Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Noise from mechanical fuel pump when warm?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Itsbiscuit, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

324 olds in a 54 oldsmobile. Just rebuilt and went through everything on this motor. I have started getting this loud click click click (increasing with revs) from the engine but only after it is up to operating temperature. I was terrified that I had a worn cam lobe from improper break in. (Took a while to get her started for the first time). Well today I took the old exhaust hose stethoscope out and it turns out it is coming from the lower half of the combination vacuum fuel pump. I just rebuilt and went through everything on it. Nothing worn- the arm that rides on cam had no signs of wear. Any ideas? I understand if something was worn or loose but why would this change after it warms up?

2. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

Also the noise just started after about 150 miles.

3. BJR

BJR

Broken spring?

4. daliant

daliant

I'd agree with a broken spring.

5. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

Why would this change with heat? Or is it related to back pressure once the carb bowl fills up?

6. Gerrys

Gerrys

Oil thinning out with the heat.

7. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

The springs are not in oil.

8. The engine note changes when the engine is warm, should be noticeable to your ear but many people can't distinguish it. Anyway when the engine is cold it is masking the noise from the pump that you can hear once it is warmed up.

I am leaning toward the broken spring theory too by the way.

One thing is for sure if you have determined that the noise is coming from the pump you will need to pull it then it will be easy to find the problem.

9. Gerrys

Gerrys

Yes, the spring is not it the oil. The thicker oil may be keeping it quiet enough you do not notice it.

Had a 360 ford with the wrong fuel pump that made noise like a rod bearing when hot. Got it cheap.

When the oil thinned with heat you could hear it.