Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Noel Bullock Special 1922 Pike Peak Hill climb Champion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powerwagonmaniac1, Nov 10, 2010.

1. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Does any one have any pictures of Noel Bullocks special that beat the big boys at Pike Peak in 1922. I am wanting to build one similar to it in the future. I have a bunch of left over parts from previous projects and figured I could put them to good use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's a link about Noel and his special:
    http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/MTFCA/...esPeak1922.pdf

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]These are the only pics I can really find but they are not very clear. I would especially like one of the chassis ,cleaner sharper image would be awesome...

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Noel's story sound a lot like Burt Munro's story with his motorcycle exploits at Bonneville Salt Flat in 1960's.

I've got everything for it except a good radiator. I just need a few better photo's to see how it lowered front and rear,fuel tank location, and seat mounts. my buddy Clayton (MrModelT) and I are talking about building replica of it.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Any other info out there would be greatly appreciated.[/FONT]

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Do you have the BB RAJO head? Great car to build a clone of. Check out the Race cars 1894-1944 thread here on the HAMB, there is Noel Bullock info there. T-Head has info and may be building a clone also. Post photos of the build when you get started.

3. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Hey kid I have McMillan head which is a copy of the RAJO BBR which is a little later than the model B that Noel used on his car. Yep the idea is to clone it as best we can. Clayton (MrModeT) will be helping me again on this one when we get my Dad's green speedster done.

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Sorry can't help with any info, very interesting story though, well worth reading. definitely a car worth replicating accurately. There were many interesting cars and storys from that time. I built the body for a replica of the car that won the 1912 French Grand Prix, this is another interesting car It averaged over 70mph for 24 hour if my memory serves me correctly, some going in 1912. The original still exists but it has been modified almost beyond recognition so the car below is closer to the proper thing. The body was built with just photos a reference.
    [​IMG]

I hope you find the info you need! Good luck with it. I look forward to seeing your build.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm really sorry I sold my BB RAJO years ago, can you give us some info on the McMillan head?

6. lawman

lawman

neat old pics !!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

7. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

I & others helped Seth Hammond build this replica in 1973 to run at the Long Beach Ca hill climb. While not as pure as it could have been, tastes were different then. The car was retired after the hill climb and exists in the same condition today. If the pictures are not readable I could email them to anyone interested then they could be expanded. Pat

Attached Files:

8. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

The Hamb doesn't want me to send the rest of the pictures, I'll try again. Pat

Attached Files:

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is it true that Seth's car is wall art? If so, we all need to see a photo.

10. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

Maybe the pictures are so big I can only send 1 at a time?

Attached Files:

11. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

The 37Kid, sadly the car is wall art, I pleaded with him to take it down on it's 30th anniversary without success. But it is a piece of preserved history as opposed to something that's over restored. It was just as exciting to run for us as a Top Fuel car. Pat

12. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

The37Kid, were you asking for a picture of it mounted on the wall? I could do that but I'm not planning on going to Goleta till Dec 7th. Pat

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can totally understand his reasoning (whatever it is) for leaving it as art. Reading about the build, the run, and the people involved was really neat for an East Coast guy back then. Seth and his Dad showed up a year or so later at my folks place to see my 4Banger stuff. Really thought I had a piece of American History in front of me as his Dad told the story about draining the fuel out of Charles Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis the night before he took of for Paris. Out with the bad gas in with the good. Sure would like to hear the WWII Oil Tank Farm story. Bob

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that the '12 GP Sunbeam?

Per Bullocks car, Noel was more interesting in going fast than how his cars look.

But just looking at the car you should be able to extrapolate everything needed. (30x3.5" wheels, and a stock '17 black iron radiator).

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

surely there is more...someone?

17. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Hey Kid,

The McMillan Head is copy of a RAJO BB but cast in aluminum by a friend of mine Finley McMillian in Round Mountain California. It is an 8 valve ohv I'll be using a rick Carnegie cam the valves we are using, I think come from a 283 small block with custom machined rockers and push rods. The head can also be set up as SOHC like Frontnac. I'll see if I can find pictures of it as it is at the machine shop now. My Dad,Grand pa and Finley were selling them with a speedster kit they put together in 1960s' when we had Becker's T & A Ford parts. When we sold the business we kept the head which was a raw casting at the time. Finley is still a close friend of ours and has since had few more cast up in the Redding California area. He had one of his 1914 Speedster which was run on several endurance runs in California till it was burnt up in a Forest fire at his place in which Finley lost just about everything and barley made it out alive.

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

19. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Didn't Rick Rawlins, the guy that has the Winfield "two up/two down" car, build a replica of that a few years ago? I believe it's in a museum in Colorado.

Cris

20. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Noel Bullock, the Grandson, lives nearby and he's a good friend. He has newspaper clippings, but not sure if there are any photos or other really useful reference materials. Send me an e-mail and I'll check with him tomorrow and respond as quickly as I am able. Also, for what it's worth, the Grandson is in the automobile business.

21. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Sorry, could only find one photo of the Rawlins/Bullock recreation:

[​IMG]

Photo taken in the El Pomar Foundation Carriage Museum.

Cris

22. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

Hi to all the enthusiasts, I made an unplanned trip to Goleta and spent 1/2 hr. with Seth talking about his current '27 roadster project and the hill-climb car. I had to take 2 pictures because there was a table in the way so I couldn't get the camera back any further. Pat

Attached Files:

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

THANKS! That car still looks great, never knew the driveshaft was offset, what was the transmission setup?

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

warford...did not know about the offset though.

25. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

There wasn't a transmission! It relied on a slipper clutch and low gear ratio provided by the set of gears on the back of the bellhousing which necessitated having the ring gear on the rightside for proper direction. This combination was good enough to: #1, break the existing record, #2, go fast enough to go airborne over the top of the hill, #3, get outlawed for the following year. Such is the price of success! No regrets tho, Pat

26. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, Now here would be a neat one to clone. Nothing like doing a historic race car !

Dave