Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Noel Black and the Motion 1 LSR streamliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

In between my regular writing assignments, I like to keep a project on the back burner (just like out in the shop). Anyway, a few months ago, I heard mention of Noel Black, a guy from right here in my home town of Medford, Oregon. Seems Noel was killed at Bonneville in 1970, while chasing the (Summers Bros?) piston powered Land Speed Record. He was driving a twin Hemi powered streamliner ("Motion 1") and crashed at about 385MPH, in pursuit of the 406.something record.
    I began asking around here and haven't come up with any info. Can't believe I didn't know about this guy, but... A Google search turned up some interesting stuff - maybe something here will jog someones memory: Noel Black teamed up with Bert Peterson, forming B&N Automotive in California in the mid 60's. They ran a blown gas roadster (at the strip, I guess), then a '27 roadster that grabbed the Modified salt record at 265MPH. That car is at Jim Lattin's museum in Encinitas. This info came from a webpage by "Monty Wolf", with no contact info.
    Other online info revealed tiny bits: JD Zink used to run one of Blacks old chassis (JD, are you a HAMBer?).
    Noel and Bert tested the car without bodywork at Fremont, as a dragster. Sorry I can't post pix, as there is a cool one of the car running there, revealing the front drivetrain sticking way out ahead of the front wheels, then a whole seperate rear drivetrain!
    I now seem to be at a dead end. So I'm posting this in hopes of shaking out someone who actually knew these guys, or has some connection to them. I'm anxious to catch up with the story and take the next step in completing this puzzle.
    Thanks in advance to anyone with info and thank you all for your time,
    Scotty

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    Speed Gems likes this.
  2. turdytoo

turdytoo

I'm pretty sure he had a chassis business at one time in the mid 60's.

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Are you familiar with historian "Landspeed Louise"?

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Don't know her personally. Was introduced on the salt, probably 25 years ago and we spoke for less than a minute. Has she written about Black?

5. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Turdy. I suppose that's B&N Automotive, huh?

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Not sure but I bet she would know who to put you in touch with. http://www.landspeedproductions.biz/Pages/Contact Us.htm

7. jangleguy

jangleguy

8. turdytoo

turdytoo

Some friends and I bought a B&N altered chassis around 1965 that was supposed to be a Noel Black piece. Ultra nice with beautiful welds but uncle Sam derailed that project.

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Well, that statement sheds some light on things - thanks. Sorry you didn't get to finish it, but glad you came back alive!

10. Phil Burgess did a piece in his National Dragster Insiders column about 3 weeks ago. You can still access it, and there is a link to send him an e-mail. He's very good about returning e-mails....AND he lurks here.

11. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Rich. I found that photo of the car at Fremont on Phil's blog on the NHRA site. Wrote to him on a link there and haven't heard back yet - maybe he has a life or something? Will try him again tomorrow. Louise, too...

12. jangleguy

jangleguy

Something else I've always wondered about: The Breedlove name pops up around here once in a while. Anyone know if Craig Breedlove has relatives in southern Oregon?

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

14. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

15. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey, who told you I play guitar? Did they also tell you I used to live in Salina, Kansas? For about 3 months in 1975...

16. jangleguy

jangleguy

Dynoroom - Thanks so much! That site is very helpful. Again, the info comes from "Monty Wolf', AKA "Dr. of Rockology" AKA Greg Gillette, who crewed on Motion 1. Couple of other good contacts on there, too. Just what I was hopin' for. The magic of the HAMB comes through again...

17. jangleguy

jangleguy

One more try...

18. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Because you are a "jangleguy" and I used wikipedia to find out what that was!

19. jangleguy

jangleguy

Ha! Yet another use for that word - so says Wikipedia.

20. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

FYI Monte Wolfe "is" Monte Wolfe. No one else, has run at the salt for years. I don't think he was involved with Motion I though.
    The Dr of Rockology is Greg Gillette who help on that team back then.

21. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks for clearing that up, Dyno. I'm easily confused...
    Since posting this back in January, I've heard from a couple people who claim to have hard connections (one even claiming to know where Black's rumoured rocket car is!), then everyone suddenly and mysteriously disappeared! I believe the feds stepped in to keep this story from setting off a Land Speed frenzy and creating a newfound demand for yet more Nitro! Of course, we all know why they can't let THAT happen (the initials rhyme with Haliburton)...
    But, on the off chance that someone out there missed this desperate plea for help, I'll bump it back to the top tonight. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.
    Scotty

22. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Mike(Dyno Room),

Greg uses the non-de-plume(sp) Monty, no 'e', Wolfe in his professional life as a radio host. Only connection with the real Monte Wolfe is beer.

DW

23. Interesting.......hi Scotty!

24. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey T-bolt!

PS: Thanks, Dan.

25. jangleguy

jangleguy

Once more in prime time... anyone? Beuller?

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

27. Crazy Alex!

28. jangleguy

jangleguy

I know - isn't that a kick in the ass? Thanks Metalshapes. That's Noel and company testing at Fremont Raceway. Must've blown some minds there! I have a few fun shots like that. What I need is info from someone who actually knew these guys...

Should probably hang this idea up for a while and get back to assigned stories. Just wanted to throw this out there...

29. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks to all who posted here. This weekend I finally took the advice I was given here (on page one) and contacted Landspeed Louise. She gave me a snappy reply, including the phone number of one Frank Silva, who crewed for Noel Black. After a few phone calls, I now have the complete original crew assembled (minus Noel Black, of course) and they're all ultra-mega stoked about a story on Noel and his run for the LSR! There's photos galore and even home movie footage, plus old programs, etc. BTW, Frank has the only remaining piece of Motion 1 - a mangled wheel. There's more - much more, but you'll have to wait for the story...

30. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Awesome news! Hope you can make it into a great book and or screenplay.