Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs No Windshield Gasket Available: What now?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jt7282, Jul 22, 2019.

1. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

I have a 1960 full size Ford Wagon, and no one makes a rear windshield gasket.

I bought the car in pieces and I am finally putting it back together, but I do not have a old rear gasket to look at or send in. I called Steele,Carpenter,C&G etc... and they all say that the rear gaskets are not only not available, but not produced.

Any help would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Your most likly going to have to find some gasket rubber by the foot and cut it to fit. HRP

sidevalve8ba and jt7282 like this.
  3. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

You can buy an automotive window glass "glue" that holds the window securely and acts as the seal/gasket. 3M product.

jt7282 likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

If you don't have any OEM window rubber I'd compare profile of relief in tailgate where rubber sits with glass and compare with commercially available profiles sold by the metre. Draw a diagram of current measurements if that assists.
    It appears as though you'll need to use 4 x lengths of rubber due to tight corners. Each length may need to be slightly longer to allow for compression and corners.
    When I did antibody we used 3/16" ropes in the pinch weld area of the rubber that we overlapped, have the overlap in the middle bottom. When the screen was sat on the lip, we pulled the rope from the inside to pull the rubber lip over the panel edge. Work evenly out and around and tap in glass to seat rubber as you go. If butting the rubbers up in the corners cut carefully for a snug fit and use sealer. Is there any SS trim being used as it requires a special rubber?
    Years ago before the roof seals were available for my OT 66 Fairlane I used generic F100 profile door rubber. Also before I forget I used a Loctite product to glue the rubber ends together. Worked perfectly and it survived many years. If the correct aftermarket seal was available then I would have purchased it there and then Screenshot_20190722-093314.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would call baxter ford, little dearborn and every other place that deals in Nos ford parts. There are lots of places that advertise in Hemmings. I bet there are NOS originals around.....

6. if it was me I would start by buying a front windshield gasket and see if it can be trimmed down. the shape looks right. Unknown.jpeg

Hnstray, Oldioron and jt7282 like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

before doing that, I would compare the profile of the rear window opening, with the windshield opening.

This is not what yours looks like, but this is the view you need to consider:

section.jpg

jt7282 likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure if gluing it in is a possibility on your wagon but the 3M product mentioned above with a commercial applicator works very well. One tip if you do, use the small stick on weather stripping like this stuff;
    upload_2019-7-22_10-17-18.png
    to build a "dam" all the way around the glass so the glue doesn't squish out and run all over and look like crap when you are done. OT cars has black painted edges to hide the glued edge, old cars have clear glass to the edge so we have to be a bit trickier. After curing you can remove it but you will have to run a razor blade around it to get it lose from the glue.

I'd take that lift gate off the wagon so it is easier to work on and give it a couple of days before driving it so it can cure up.

belair and jt7282 like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lots of possible resources listed at end of this Hemmings article.
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/1960-ford-station-wagon/

jt7282 likes this.
  10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Most weatherstrip manufacturers have generic “universal” profiles of window channel seals. While not always ideal, you should be able to find something that will work.

jt7282 likes this.
  11. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i order a lot of bulb seal and window rubber from austin hardware, they have many different styles. maybe something they have may work for you.
    https://www.austinhardware.com/

12. nickleone

nickleone

Do you have a shop manual for the car? My 62 rambler shop manual shows the profile of the windshield gasket. I matched it to a Steel Rubber item. Now all I need is a windshield LOL.

Nick

13. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

I have the assembly manual, part number is "c0ab-5942084-a" but that does not bring up anything with the vendors

14. primed34

primed34

Find a glass shop that been in business for years. They might come up with something.

jt7282 likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

16. town sedan

town sedan

Nice wagon, you're in the same boat as me with 1960 Ford rear glass. I've got a need for the rear glass seal on a Fairlane.
    The Starliner and Galaxie rear seals are reproduced. Hopefully I'll be able to find something that works when I get to that point. Good luck and let the HAMB know what you come up with.
    -Dave

jt7282 likes this.
  17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

19. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

I s
    spoke to them this morning, and they were SUPER helpful, but no dice.

20. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

If you have a cross section of the old seal or an engineered drawing there are several places that will make up one off seals. It's $$$ but you're a beggar right now. Do a search for Metro Molded Products in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. They made some seals for me for a 1934 Auburn.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. oldolds

oldolds

If they reproduce the car rear window gasket I might buy one of those and try to piece it. I would guess the profile is the same.

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I know a guy a couple of towns over that has never heard of rubber gaskets for windows .:eek: I bet he will help you out :)

23. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I talked to a guy a few months ago that put a new rear window seal in his 60 Ford wagon he said he used a windshield seal that was modified at the bottom. Here were his exact words

Wow. Nice car. I actually took a front windshield seal and cut the lower part to fit. The glass guy did a great job. After, I trimmed the extra rubber on the top corners. Hope this will help you. I couldn't find anything closer than this. It fit great. The rear quarter rubber is another hard thing to find so i have to silicone the old rubber in

jt7282 likes this.
  24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Have you tried a Green Sales Company in Cinti ., Oh .

jt7282 likes this.
  25. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

Thank you for the insight! I went ahead and ordered another front windshield gasket. They run $160 bucks , so I’m hoping that it’s do-able. Do you happen to have a point of contact for the guy?

26. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had just seen a car for sale in CL and reached out to him to see how he approached it. From the sounds of it a glass guy installed it. If I can find his contact info I’ll send you a PM.

jt7282 likes this.
  27. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I'v had pretty good luck gluing rubber products with super glue. If you have a hobby store around you want the type that comes in different thicknesses. the RC airplane guys use it. The medium type with the spray accelerator works the best. I would imagine if you can find the right profile withe some corners that match close you could splice something together that would work.

jt7282 likes this.
  28. I would look at the rubber Mark posted from C & G, it's probably for a sedan but it could be cut and glued back together if it's too big. HRP

Moriarity likes this.
  29. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Have you tried Restoration Specialties and Supply? They have a ton of window seals in their catalog. 814-467-9842, www.restorationspecialties.com.

30. I believe I used to deal with Jeff over there, really a big help getting me a set of trim clips for my '59 Ford. Ask some of the '57-'59 guys like Carpenter or Jerry Miller, these guys are a wealth of information. The '60 is an even odder car that the '59 Ford. But if you can get a roll of the right profile, then the hardest part is mitering the corners.