Register now to get rid of these ads!

no starter holes on 283/th350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vegas_Cleaver, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

i'm working on my project and went to mock up the motor and started talking about the starter and location and noticed that my late 50's 283 has no holes for the starter.the motor had a 3 speed on it but i wanted to put a th350. has anyone else had this problem? if so what did you do to fix it. also i kinda dont want to us a 2 speed powerglide but it is looking that way.

2. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

The early sbc's ran the starter bolted up to the bellhousing. Someone once told me that there is enough meat to drill the necessary holes into the bottom of the block for the later style starters, but I have not done this myself.
    Some careful measuring will tell for sure. If you are going to do this, don't try to do it upside down under the car, the holes will be crooked for sure. take the time and roll the motor over so you can make sure everything is straight and true. A little extra time now will save much time and aggrevation later.

3. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

There is enough meat there to drill and tap. Just do it right, if you drill in the wrong place or drill at an angle you won't be fixing the problem.

4. squirrel

squirrel

sounds like the car is telling you to put a 4 speed in it.... :)

Chevy started drilling starter holes in blocks for the Turboglide transmission equipped cars in 1957, but not all of them were drilled, looks like you didn't luck out.

If you can find a later model block to measure, and then as mentioned have your engine sitting upside down so you can work accurately, you should be able to drill the holes close enough. maybe make a template from the other engine first? also note the holes are pretty deep, and the threads start about 3/16" or so down in the hole to allow the special bolts to center properly.

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Pre 1963 small blocks used bellhousing mount starters, except for TurboGlide cars, which had block mount starters. I think it had to do with using cast iron bellhousings with the three speeds and PowerGlides, (TurboGlides had alumunum cases). Is your block missing the bolt holes, or are they just not tapped? I also have heard that they can be drilled and tapped, but have not done it myself. All of the blocks that I've used were either drilled, or drilled and tapped from the factory. They were all Powerglide engines though.

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yeah, 283's LOVE 4 speeds.:D

7. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

thanks for all of the advise so far. the motor is at the shop so i can look at it but i'm looking around and might of found a powerglide or a 327 so we will see.

8. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Or, you could just take it to your machinist and have him drill the holes.

But, in all reality, it's begging for a 4 speed.

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have a350 in my coupe but am using an early (61 Vette) bellhousing and 4 speed. I used an early starter nose on a later starter, no problem.