Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects No spark from coil, no start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mister E., May 4, 2018.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I like it. Is it set up for duals, or was it a one ton pickup?

Mister E. likes this.
  2. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I'm not sure, we haven't found an owners manual or any title or former reg paperwork of any kind as yet.
    But the guy who I got it from said it could go either way.

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Also, for those who are convinced that lock ring wheels just come apart on the highway and kill the innocent driver in the next lane, please cite the incident, because I cannot find one. True, improper mounting and then exposing one's self to the path of a flying lock ring has killed some people, inexperienced and poorly trained as a general rule. How many of you stand over your tire/wheel assembly when seating beads? Take a look at the wheels used on large loaders, and what do you see? Lock rings.

Mister E. likes this.
  4. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I honestly wouldn't know. I have never dealt with them before Myself. As long as I can get them cleaned up and the seat the wheels appropriately there shouldn't be any problems I would hope.
    I drove it around the yard and down the drive this evening, and she didn't give Me any trouble at all.
    I'll just keep to My prayers and let God watch over Me as I'm driving.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You got it. Make sure things are clean and not beat to death from previous hammer blows.

Mister E. likes this.
  6. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

7. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Might be good idea replace the valve stems and make sure they are in good condition as well. They are kinda short and hard to reach with the air hose.

Also, still having issues trying to wire up the tail lights cus I can not find where they even start from under the hood!

Went to parts store to try to get a repair manual and they don't even go back that far. Earliest year they have available is 1966 chevy trucks!

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

17 digit VIN started in 1969, before that there was no VIN, the vehicle number was simply a serial production number

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

tail lights dont start under the hood, they start off of the light switch. Ebay for the manual or oldcarmanualproject.com

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

It was a good Public Service to let people know that old truck rims can be dangerous but there has been some confusion. Its the two piece split rims that are dangerous. The lock ring rims *could* hurt you but use care and those are ok. If worried, wrap chain around the tire thu the D shaped holes in the rim before airing the tire up. There are many threads showing info and pictures of split rims. Google

Mister E. likes this.
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

In some states the last titled owner can get a duplicate title from the state and use that to transfer title to you

Mister E. likes this.
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

If its not a hotrod, why are you on a traditional hotrod forum? I'm sure there are restorers forums somewhere

54vicky likes this.
  13. manyolcars

manyolcars

There is a huge difference between split rims and lock ring rims

Truck64 likes this.
  14. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I believe that I have lock ring rims, as there is a ring that holds the outter part of the rim in place. Not sure I described that very well but I can take photos in the day time and post them.

Currently I am ordering a complete turn signal/cup wire harness for the truck. As the Napa x638 device is not working at all.

Other than that I am still trying to find the correct wires that go to the rear turn , park, and brake lights.

Head lights all work, but no park lamps, turn signals, or brake lights at all. Kind of frustrating to try to buy a universal wiring harness kit and find out the colors are all wrong!! Ugh, Grrrrr!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  15. All the wiring for the lights begin at the dash & The light switch mostly and over to the turnsignal switch. The wires for the front headlights and the front turn signals/parking lights should be together in the same group. And I'd think easy to find along the fender and radiator core support. Now remember that Lots of things can change over that many years, owners, and farm duty so what you find now may not be how it began or is supposed to be.

Check the bulbs and sockets because corrosion likes to build there.

16. Rattle can paint job?

It’s looking good
    Runs and yard drives right now?

What are you doing for a bed?
    Stake bed or maybe find a long box ?

Looks good :cool:

Mister E. likes this.
  17. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Yes spray bomb paint job.
    And yes yard drives and runs great! I'm thinking of building a flatbed and putting on a single stack up the back drivers side of the cab.
    Just kicking around different ideas.

And thanks

Truck64 likes this.
  18. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Found paperwork to apply for title and should be in the mail soon! Can't wait! Get a forever tag and drive it like it should be driven! I am currently designing a flatbed/utility bed with tool boxes underneath so as to not use up hauling space. When I am able I will upload more pics!

19. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

*Update*
    Got the brake lights working, but still having a go of it with the park and turn lamps.

I went to the bmv and even though there isnt a title, they gave Me paperwork to fill out for serial number/vin inspection (completed) then a notorized bill of sale, and application for "break of ownership" to get a clear title in My name.

So now that's all taken care of and waiting for the mail... In the mean time I am still sorting through the wiring to label as I go, what goes where and find what wires are for the turn signals as wwll as the head lights and tail lamps/brake lights.

Will post more pics soon for those who are still interested t ed in how she's looking.
    Also if anyone had an easy wire diagram that isnt all garbled with this and that.. I am hoping to find something to guide Me through the under the hood wiring as far as all the lights and signals etc.
    Thanks

I hope everyone is having a great day/night.
    Ttys

20. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

**update**
    Got all lights working. Only issues now are the wipers have stopped working. I think they are run off vaccume and I found what looks to be a pump I assume of some kind under the dash that has 3 vaccume lines and only one has a hose connected to it, so not sure where it goes or where the other 2 lines are supposed to go.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Advice??
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  21. 54vicky

54vicky

what the hell is vaccine I know what vaccine is but what has it got to do with your wipers not working?dr. phil may be able to help

22. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Lmao.. Got to love autocorrect!!
    I was trying to say vaccume not vaccine.
    Anyway.. Found the hose that came off the vaccume line and wipers are good now.

23. 54vicky

54vicky

it is actually vacuum back to our regularly scheduled program

24. Phew! that was a 2 cup read. Glad you got it started ,and Kudos to all the Hambers that stuck with you to see this beastie fire up.

Mister E. likes this.
  25. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thanks
    Its been running for a couple months now and I just Got tags last week and have been driving it to and from town , got her out on the highway and opened her up, she will do 55mph but doesn't like hills that much lol.
    Anyway, yes thank you to all the members who gave advice I appreciate all the help and support along the way.

26. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hey everybody,
    I have an issue going on right now, I came on to get plugs and wires to tune up the engine as I believe they were in it for the last 25+- years so a fresh set never hurts. But in the process I had a helper who wasn't very helpful and took off the plug wires all at once. Now I need to know what the firing order us so I can get it started and get back home. Anybody help real quick??
    Thanks to those who can/will

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

28. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thank you very much. Not sure why but she still wont start. Ugh!

29. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Take #1 spark plug out, front plug. Bump motor, thumb in hole until it blows out. Our 55 with 235 timing mark is on flexplate, seen through a hole in bell housing top left, you can see it back of valve cover near distributor. I just turn motor by hand with fan blade to line it at TDC.
    Then note where rotor button is. That's 1.
    Then CW 1-5-3-6-2-4.