Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects No spark from coil, no start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mister E., May 4, 2018.

1. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Probably a dumb question, but where sd I find the swap/ sale part of "The H.A.M.B"?
    I'd like to see if anyone near Me might have 1 of those T5 transmission or something comparable or better to work properly on My truck. I have checked around here and none of the salvage yards have s10/s15 Camaro/firebird /Corvette etc with the T5.
    Any ideas or offers are helpful. Thanks

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you should be able to find one local to you, look on craigslist. But I can't tell where local to you is because you have not properly filled out your profile....

Mister E. and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. ..................What Mark said. Fill out your damn profile! There might actually be folks close by that would offer up help unless you're just one of those hermit types!:)

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

As I recall he's in Zoo City, MT, land of assorted fruititarians, nuts & granolas, sandal wearers etc.

Mister E., 54vicky and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. ..........Perhaps the reasoning behind not wanting to admit to his residency.:D

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  8. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I have never hid My residency, I am born raised here in the US. Born in Maine and moved here to Missoula Montana.
    I ain't no sandlewearing freak or immigrant, My people were here to meet you and yours!!
    Have a nice day!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    lothiandon1940 and Truck64 like this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Mister E, we know you're good stuff. Jes' a little light hearted jab at the crunchies..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Gotcha.
    Sorry, got a lot on My mind trying to get this finished and get out of the stinking cold. (Wifey biting My head off cus we are still in the mountains)
    And I had planned to leave before the snow

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Wait, you're moving away from Missoula? It's actually pretty nice there in the wintertime. I saw Buddy Guy play at the Top Hat bar many years ago. That guy can friggin' play. For real cold, those high plains in eastern MT and ND with nothin' to stop the wind gets my vote. BRR

lothiandon1940 and Mister E. like this.
  12. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Lol. Yeah we are going to head south and then come back after visiting my family in the spring.
    We are moving to Florida to stay at her mom's house and then around May go to mainM and visit for about a month maybe.

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It could be worse, you could have to spend a winter in Sweet Grass....
    One of my number one sons is living in Helena.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Plentywood.

15. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Never been to Helena, many places still want to explore and travel n see

16. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hey folks, just found a 5 speed in a 90's GMC S15 Sanoma. Can someone tell Me what to look for as to see if it will match up to My truck?

I'm not sure what the trans is as it is still in the Sanoma.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks

***UPDATE***

IT IS A 9/97 GMC SANOMA
    Engine is a 4.3 vortec

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Here's a bump

18. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh that? Just a cold sore. Nothing to worry about.
    Seriously, it means he refreshed your thread to the top of the search list on page one, like I just did by responding.

Mister E. and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Oh ok, thank you.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Had a girlfriend with a coldsore but she was warm where it mattered!

lothiandon1940 and 54vicky like this.
  22. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Just thought of something... My truck has the emergency brake (drum/cylinder looking thing) attached on the tail of the current transmission, My question is, and I should have already asked.. if and when I swap transmissions, will I still be able to use that same e-brake setup?
    Just wondering, thanks

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I can't say for sure, but I don't think that will work. You may also have to get a driveshaft made.

24. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Heck with all that, might just change out the rearend and see what happens. I don't like the thought of changing much as I'd like to keep her as stock as possible. If I can get the right ring and pinion for it maybe that will do the trick.
    This being My first resto- I'm still new to the do's and don'ts.

Will do some research first before I go any further

25. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Since I already put the rearend back together with new gaskets and fresh gear oil, does anybody know the measurements of the 4.56 carrier? I'm looking online to find a new/used 4.10 ring & pinion , and all I know is My truck has a 10 bolt split rearend.
    Not sure if that's correct name for it but ya know.
    I thought I took pictures of it when I had it apart but I can't find em.
    Each carrier or ring gear that I see online is either 8.5" or 9. Some odd " diameter.
    So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look for to fit My carrier.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Okay, your rear axle is called an Eaton HO72. They were used in Chevy and GMC trucks from 1947 through 1972. What you need to find for that rear, if you want to keep it, is the center section/3rd member/ differential assembly/chunk/chunk/pig from a later truck, that came equipped with a 4.10 ratio. Good candidates are from 1968 through 1972, that came with an automatic transmission. 1972 is the last year that those rear ends were used. As squirrel mentioned before, you can use the entire rear axle from a 1973 through 1987, but that may require a new or shorter driveshaft, and as a bonus, will give you an emergency brake on the rear. Getting back to the HO72 that is in your truck, 4.10 will be the highest (is that a word?) gear ratio you will find. I have heard rumors of 3.73's, but have not ever seen one in many years of looking. Those are the easiest options that I know of, hopefully squirrel will let you what is involved in swapping the later rear into your truck. You might also want to check on the pickup and 4wd forums and see what advice you can find there. Being different ain't easy sometimes, and to most people, tooling around in an old 3/4 ton makes us oddballs.
    PS, if you are looking to do a ring and pinion swap, parts will be pretty expensive, if you can find them. I do not think any new gears are available, and some of the bearings were really pricey the last time I looked. The 73-87 rears do have parts available if you go that route, but if it were me, and I was running that motor, I would be looking for the 4.10's from another HO72. Pull axles, swap center sections, reassemble, and it's done.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    lothiandon1940 and Mister E. like this.
  27. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thanks, and being an odd ball isn't a bad thing lol

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

So if you see any old dead Chevy 3/4 or 1 ton trucks up there, you may have found a donor. The later ones with manual transmissions can also have the 4.10 gears, and as you know, you can pull the cover off to check without tearing it all the way apart. Junkyards, barnyards, scrap yards, they are out there, you may get lucky and find a posi or a locker in one.

29. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Cool, thanks.
    And yeah, I know they're out there, just trying to identify without having to tear into it, cus there's a bunch of trucks here (like around 1000) give or take along with another thousand or so vans Jeep's and cars and so on.

Anyway, I'm trying to check the housings to see what they are before I remove any cover and hoping to find numbers on the housing(s).

Anyway, now that the rain isn't every day or every hour I'm gonna try to look today to see if I can find anything..

If I had a way to decifer the numbers for when I find axles that are stamped with them or whatever that would be a big help

Thanks for all the responses everybody, will keep ya up to date best I can.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018