Register now to get rid of these ads!

No places to cruise in SoCal !!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffSled, Jun 27, 2009.

1. i see alot of cars out. At the moment the merc is down because a new motor is going in but as soon as its in i cruising all over town.I toke the 52 pick up out for a cruise just to go get somthing to drink from the store but wasent the same.Dame i cant wait till the mer5cs back up. If you find your self with nothing to do one day take a drive down and ill have some beers waiting mabe you guys can help out with some questions i have .

2. metalman

metalman

Yeah, no kidding. I'm with ya Bonesy!

3. woodnut

woodnut

Nothing to cruise to in SoCal ?? Only over a dozen shows or so to hit any weekend, must be rough..... here is a cool link that helped me out when I was in SoCal a few weeks ago. http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html

4. If you read what this thread was about ..... carshows have nothing to do with it.:cool:

5. Searcher

Searcher

Jeff, are you going to make it to Van Nuys Blvd on the 8th.
    Should be a good showing of vintage tin.

6. I wont be able to make it there with my merc because of what time I get out of work( they have us doing o.t. right now) but im working not to far from there so im going to try to shoot straight there after work. I heard it was great last time.

7. Searcher

Searcher

Well if you see my 35 slantback, say hey.

8. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

jeff i know what you mean ----
    I used to drive my shoebox sled everyday in colorado and out here in cali.. I would see way more sleds just rolling around any given day out in co so I thought socal would be like 10 times better.. its all about driving the piss out of these cars and all about the fun . well at least for me ..

car shows are one thing , but the drive is always better . I hate large crowds of people and the terms they use at times to relate ..

in coclorado friday nights were littered with cars and we would drive from cruises to cruises wheather we knew each other or not ...

I am down for the anti do do cruises bob .. i just need to get my ass outta the garage early enough to meet yall..

driving is all the fun
    keep cruisin by yerself ya know screw what the other guys do or don't do .. ill bet you feel like a different guy when you get home from driving yer merc...

9. I know what your getting at and I see it (or don't see it) too. I take my car out with my son almost every Friday night that I am in town. We head over to the gas station and fill up for the weekend. This is almost always around 8:00 pm. The boy never wants to go home so we cruise...nowhere in particular, we just cruise. We shoot down to the circle, we head down main street to the older areas of Santa Ana...we just go. And I'll tell ya, in So Cal, the hot bed of hot rods and car culture, we never see any other hot rods out and about.

It seems like everybody is more about the destination (car shows, parking lots, gatherings, etc) than the actual fun of "getting there". I think Chuck said it best..."with no particular place to go".

10. Yes thats what I have been trying to say. I dont know about you guys but I think a Kustom or a hotrod look a hell of a lot better while they are moving then when they are sitting still with a bunch of lawnchairs next to them:cool:

11. I hear that! When I go out for a drive,I RARELY see another old car! And I drive my Merc ALOT!!!! How do you think I get to all those shows and stuff to take pictures?
    The odds increase if you're driving in Old Town Orange or Huningtin Beach. There's always oldies cruising PCH on the weekends. But go 5 miles inland...NOTHING!!!

12. Back in the day (granted, I wasn't there but I do listen to the old guys now and then) there were places where cars and people congregated. Even in my day, I knew that I could go and drive by certain places on a Friday or Saturday night and I would always see a car or two and would run into somebody I knew.

I think people used to "hang out" a little more informally. Be nice to create a few hot spots and try to bring it back. It sounds like The Omega Burger, Fatburger, Mel's, Orignal Mike's, Bob's Big, Broiler, etc. additions might be turning things around in the right direction. Add in an all night speed shop, upholstery joint and paint and body shop and we might have something here.....

13. there's always a lot in orange, when i go down pch (start at laguna and go to either huntington or long beach and back home by 11:30-midnight) at night there's nothing. too much traffic to go to the tues night meet, sat morn breakfast is waaaaay early :D...... but the sat night one is a GREAT idea. i'm not to big on car shows (as anyone who met me can tell by my limited social skills), i would rather drive. but cruising to get food and then cruising some more sounds great, add some working on cars after that and it would be golden :). sadly most of my work on my cars is done on the weekend (some weekdays after work), i'm beat when i get home now so it's hamb and parts hunting most days after work. i seem to work more after work during the winter. also i drive them everyday as i don't own a new car ('64 panel is the newest), so maintenance is always an issue.

I'm in for the sat night cruise, but it doesn't have to be only summer.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  14. Who needs social skills when you've got a plate of cookies,LOL!!!!

15. they're always a good ice breaker........:D

16. "Yes thats what I have been trying to say. I dont know about you guys but I think a Kustom or a hotrod look a hell of a lot better while they are moving then when they are sitting still with a bunch of lawnchairs next to them:cool ":

Yes Exactly !!
    My unit has just been up for 3 years after being totaled. It now has 11,000 on the ODO and I have been in Italy for a year !!!!!!!
    Fuzzy<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

17. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

when i was in high school cruising bristol was the thing, plenty of girls flashing , and you would see alot of bombs and lowriders.kinda like whittier blvd. i guess. i havent been there in a while but i hear now its nothing but new cars with gigantic wheels and plenty of fights. the lowrider guys dont cruise bristol that much now either.

it would be cool to drive down that certain street and know that u might bump into another kustom or hot rod.

18. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

You driving from OC to the valley for work? I think if you make it to Van Nuys you'll be wishing you were in that Merc! And it sure would add something to the scenery for the rest of us to see it there! Driving up PCH on a weekend thru Malibu you'll see a few rods, sports cars bikes. But the closest thing to the cruising we all used to do as teenagers, in the cars we wished we had then was Van Nuys the other nite. Good to see you're putting your money where your mouth is and getting out and driving that custom - you never know who's watching, inspired to take their car out 'cause they saw you cruising - pick a night, post it here, pass out flyers and get something going! The huge response to Van Nuys proves a lot of people are looking for somewhere to cruise...

19. haulAss or GTFO

haulAss or GTFO

yeah...only 6 months of decent weather in ohio...if your lucky

20. mcisneros

mcisneros

and its funny how you get these guys that say 50s chevy customs and mercs are "played out" when you hit these socal freeways and your lucky if you EVER see an old car cruising anywhere.. im on the road alot due to my mobile striping and could count the times on my fingers how many times i see old cars...especially hot rods or kustoms...

21. elrobo818

elrobo818

check out this thread man...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353496

we brought back cruising to van nuys blvd a month ago...

our next cruise is going to be this wednesday july 8th!

i kno its a drive from the o.c. but if your up to it come down and check this out... there were 300 plus cars that showed up last cruise...

round up some guys and come down one night...

its the second wednesday of every month!

-ROBO

22. Go by yourself.

There are lots of towns in Orange County and further away.

Do a little digging and hit a Saturday night run perhaps 60 miles away.

Or . . . just go for a drive.

Out here, a 60 mile run will get you to a great little cafe with good cheeseburgers.
    Usually a lot of Harleys are there and sometimes a hot rod or two....

23. TJratz

TJratz

I too feel your pain. I live in a town of nothing but import tuners and mini trucks! It sucks ass!

24. Yes ! My point exactly,someone gets it. I cruised for a good portion of my day yesterday and I think I saw 2 old cars. I even hit the circle of orange (which is a great place to cruise,very historical). There was one orange 55 -57 chevy truck parked in the area.It was cool to cruise down there, there were people yelling they loved the car and thats cool but I didnt see anyone else cruising there cars. It was gorgeous day around here.

25. You know what "Totally Custom" it sounds like you are trying get me going by some of your replys tonight! :) I LIKE IT !!! If you read this thread I was not complaining about being able to drive or not. You dont know me or know what I have been thru or do you know any handicaps that I might have!! So I sure the F%*K dont need you telling me what im lucky to be doing !!!! Read the thread ,its about when you just go for a random cruise and you dont see any old cars on the road but if there is a advertised car show... people come out of the woodwork and the cars lineup by the hundreds.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  26. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Relax Jeff your gonna break ur new laptop... (LOL)

27. photofink

photofink

Sonic in Fullerton would be a good ending spot .Lot of people late at night, park under a well lighted area to show the shine, hang out and eat in your car with waitresses on skates bringing you food. They have tables in the middle too if you want to get out to stretch your legs.

28. Cruzin is what you make it! When I had hair we drove just to drive !! So did most other guys. There was nothing orginized we just drove around to see what we could see. I DROVE 120 MILES , Picked up my buddy in San Dimus, Drove over to visit the Obsolete Ford parts store in San Dimus Ca, then Over to So Cal Speed shops for their shop tour. In my HotRod. Then drove 120 miles home! My car is a driver I would drive it any where with out worry. Get out and drive around you would be surprised at what you can see when you are cruzin !!!

29. One small advantage in doing the solo cruise is that people are more open when you're in the ol hot rod - and I include customs in that group.

Depending on the parts you're hunting folks can be a little more helpful than they perhaps otherwise would be.

Last time I was out, about 40 miles from home a guy dredged up a pair of nice mags I was looking for.
    Dirt cheap they were and I think the 32 helps me get a discount.

Here's a little story from last year that talks about the delights of road running on your own.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296592