Register now to get rid of these ads!

no oil getting to top of 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59chev, Sep 10, 2004.

1. I've haven't had my truck running for a couple of years. I've got my truck at the mechanic right now to find out what I need done to pass inspection. It seems there was alot more wrong with the motor than I had thought. The motor had originally been rebuilt, then was parked for years, then I got it. When they got it running they found out that it had 3 stuck valves which resulted in 3 bent push rods. As well the lifters were shot. I had them put in new lifters and 3 new pushrods but now i just got a call telling me that there is no oil getting up to the valves. The motor is a 62 235. Why would there be no oil getting up to the head? What needs to be done to get it fixed?

Thanks,
    Clint

2. Theres a little metal tube that loops around the rockers and in the center of the assembly. Oil flows though it and lubes everything... If you aren't careful when you assemble the head, it could get misaligned and crimp... That would be one way that oil wouldn't make it up and lube everything correctly...

But... I'm totally new at this, so there could be other things as well...

Stacey

3. Rocket88

Rocket88

Check the head bolts.
    There is one special head bolt that has an oil passage in it.
    If it's in the wrong spot you'll have no oil getting to the top end.
    That bolt usually has a groove across the top of it.

4. Is it possible that that tube is full of sludge from sitting for so long and it might just be plugged up?

5. rocket 88,
    Where sould this bolt be located? Can you see just by looking at it or do you need to remove the head bolts to see it? Where is this special bolt supposed to go?

6. Rocket88

Rocket88

The headbolt in question is one of the long ones.
    As I recall it goes in the middle of the head close to where the oil tube comes out (the tube that feeds the rockers)
    You can ID it by the groove on the head, the head of the bolt looks different from the rest.
    I'm at work right now, I can check the 6 I have in the shop tonite.

7. Munson

Munson
    from Tempe, AZ

8. rich^vic

rich^vic
    from Victoria

could be the pickup is too low or too high in the oil pan. might want to check that before removing the heads..

-Richard

9. I just got another call from the mechanic. I told them about the special head bolt but they said that they are not getting any oil in the oil gallery and that the problem could be improperly installed cam bearings. I'de really like to not do that just yet. Is there anything else I should be looking for. Would the bypass method mentioned in the other post where oil is directed from the bypass filter into the port in the side of the head work and the oil would just drain down from there?

10. Rocket88

Rocket88

Have you had the pan off?
    The oil there is an oil line that bolts to the pump, the other end bolts into the block. That's where it goes to the main oil gallery, that's also where the oil filter is plumbed in on the outside of the block.
    I wonder if the problem is in there somewhere.

11. I have the external filter, with a t-fitting coming off the block that goes to a oil pressure gauge. As far as I know I'm getting good pressure at the guage. Assuming I'm getting good pressure at the gauge, doesn't that mean that it's only the head that needs to get oil, in which case the bypass method would work? I really don't want to pay to have the cam bearings replaced then find out that isn't what the problem was. The mechanic thinks that the cam bearings weren't put in right when the engine was rebuilt

12. I went to go see about my truck today. Apperantly they tried turning it over with that head bolt removed and it no oil came out of there. If the the special headbolt was removed, wouldn't oil shoot out of there? Is it a possibility that an improperly installed cam bearing would make it so no oil was getting to the top of the motor?

Thanks,
    Clint