Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Anyone drive their hot rods with straight pipes or cut outs? I'm aware most city's & towns have noise coincidences and usually enforce them vigorously but lately I have heard and noticed a lot of hot rod's and other cars & trucks with extra loud exhaust and with the nature of hot rodder's I can imagine it's just not in my neck of the woods, HRP

2. Rod_Plans

Rod_Plans

I have had enough problems in the past with performance mufflers on a blown big block that I cannot consider open pipes

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The sound is awesome on a good running engine,but can be hard on the ears after a time.
    I've run with an with out at times,just becuzz. If ya get found out,ya do get a ticket in south Florida.
    So I do run the Glasspacks Extentions most of the time=They have good sound,just a little lower then open.
    But what do I know,I drove race cars for over 40 years !
    A nother show.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Cars without mufflers will get quieter the more you drive them. ;):D

5. If you drive faster than the speed of sound you’re good

dana barlow, jaracer, LAROKE and 11 others like this.
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""noise coincidences""o_O

7. Straight piped flat heads sound cool

LSGUN, 31hotrodguy, i.rant and 12 others like this.
  8. I have driven the coupe with the zoomies on, on the street . I was asked by the local police not to take the car through town with them on. It sets off all the car alarms.:eek: They were cool about it so I avoid town when I have them on. My street headers I run are similar to Dana's with little glass packs slid in.

9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had that same experience with firearms in the military.

ffr1222k, j3harleys, cavman and 11 others like this.
  10. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

The Tudor had lake headers to start with on both a stock 239 and the 276” motor in there now. Open exhaust and they were loud. I tried some shorty mufflers, got gassed out and soot on the sides. Shorty turnouts, still gassed out to some extent.

Went under chassis headers and 1 3/4” exhaust out the back. No mufflers and it has a nice sound to it with a bit of a snap to it when you wack the throttle, it’s a perfect mix.

Cliff Ramsdell

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Agree.

Cliff, have you had that car to Mark’s in Granby? Saw & heard a sweet sounding flathead there with straight pipes out the back.

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  12. Real loud. and loud enough. WIN_20150412_144051.JPG WIN_20150412_145320.JPG WIN_20170904_11_52_22_Pro.jpg

getow, 31hotrodguy, 3W JOHN and 9 others like this.
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Kinda like a wife, you here when she's unhappy at first but after a few years you hardly even notice.

14. I must say, I LOVE loud Hot Rods. I do run straight Pipes on three of my Hot Rods. I live in the country and never had any problems doing that. Straight pipes with headers,and side pipes on my Vette, and model-A Hemi sedan. I have straight pipes to the rear on my 389 A coupe. Dodge delivery, and Nomad have headers, and glass packs with pipes to the back. Best music to my ears. Ron.... 034.jpg

15. 55blacktie

55blacktie

If you don't value your hearing, that's your business, but I value mine. Please stay out of my neighborhood, thank you.

16. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

small town Texas we have a annual car show over the weekend and a cruise in on Friday night .... Gets pretty loud with the open headers and burn outs from the stop light ... as long as people act kinda adultish, police just sit back and enjoy the show.

17. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Sounds like a Briggs and Stratton motor with a straight pipe..... :cool::D

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You’ll really notice when your bank account shrinks drastically and she moves out :D

19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

These were the best mufflers I ever had. I found them in a abandoned mechanics garage. I showed them to my dad and he said to change the crank case oil and soak the mufflers in the old oil for a week or so. This caused some blue smoke but it put this heavy coating over everything. I think this had a lot to do with the deep mellow tone I got from them. This Pontiac sounded really great. I did have Long Branch exhaust manifolds and had the intake exhaust was blocked off.
    My buddy's thought I was nuts getting so excited about an old pair of mufflers but once they heard the 421 in my 64 Bonneville they understood.. I put a pair of scavenger pipes on the back and these really enhanced the deep sound. Standing behind this car while it was running, you could feel the sound waves hitting you.. When I was slowly cruising in the city, I would put the shifter into S and the transmission would shift into third which is a locked up so it sounded a stick..

Coil Spring Muffler 2.jpg Coil Spring Muffler.jpg

Attached Files:

20. 55blacktie

55blacktie

This morning, I read a story about a 70-year-old dad and his 26-year-old son racing on city streets. The son was driving the last of the GTOs and the dad was driving a late-model Challenger. They were going 70 in a 35 and passed a cop. They were arrested, and both cars impounded for 30 days. It will cost them big time, without even thinking about their insurance rates. Fortunately, no harm was done to persons or property.

I did a lot of stupid things in my youth, but at 66, I know better. At 70, dad surely should have known better.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_OAnd that story is really related to mufflers or no mufflers :D

22. Straight six, split pipes.:):)

23. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I have lake pipes and it goes to mufflers if you cap um. I've never capped um as flathead obviously aren't that kind of loud, but in my last ride with the sbc I wouldn't run um straight. Too loud for me.

24. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I rode an iron head Sportster with straight pipes, from Mass to LA. Pass

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loud pipes have contributed to making my ears ring...sitting here the ringing continues and the Hotrods in the Garage...Yes loud snotty engine sounds great but there is a price to pay...many here have this and severity of injury is obviously varied

Squirrel and Racerx do wear hearing protection as decibels are decibels and 85db is were things start to go downhill...

My Coupe runs around 90 to 100db at 50mph...I wear plugs most of the time and am on my third set of Mufflers with baffles added to the mix as well knocking the music down almost to a safer level...

My profession was also ear damaging but I did wear protection for most of that end but still bear injury from that as well...it's truly a fine noisy line at the end of the day and having my eardrums collapsed is anything but cool...

So to the Straight Pipes, cutouts or no Mufflers not for me...but I appreciate the Romance of the Rhythm it's there even with protection...when needed...

26. 55blacktie

55blacktie

27. A friend had a 62 galaxy rag top with a FE block, twice pipes out the back and it sounded good

I had a OT 510 that had straight pipe out the back it sounded decent but not like them ricers with the fart can..

Twice pipes with no muffs ALL the way out back does have the sound of old skool..

HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  28. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Sorry you can't make the connection. It's about being a responsible motorist.

29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Ain't no fool like an old fool......

30. I have the same ringing constant from previous jobs pounding on sheet metal with no protection.

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces and Stogy like this.