Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No more Indy Goodguys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Standard, Nov 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Just received my issue of the current Goodguys Gazette. Their 2016 event schedule doesn't have an Indy show listed. Is Indy done?

2. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Wow - no real surprise. It sucked after it left IRP.

3. OneBad56

OneBad56

E-mail the the question to the Goodguys and then report your findings.

After all, they are the ones that will really know the answer.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. 48stude

48stude

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, they've dropped a couple...when you don't have enuff participation to pay for the grounds, it's time to let go...

R-

6. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I second that, After leaving IRP just wasn't the same,Yes it sucked,,,Too bad I liked the IRP venue

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was going to join until I found out no more Indy.

8. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Also looks like they changed some of the All Years events to 72 and older. I am happy about that.

primed34 likes this.
  9. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

NSRA should take note of that too!

OL 55 likes this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"When you need an excuse, any one will do"

Ray

jazz1 likes this.
  11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was looking to get out of two brand specific clubs I am in and join a club that has more events I can attend and can take any of my old cars,there were two shows with in 100 miles of me which would have made it worth joining and now only one so its not much better then the brand specific clubs. I could travel farther but I did like the Indy show[ when it was at IRP but I might reconsider.QUOTE="Hnstray, post: 11241256, member: 90384"]"When you need an excuse, any one will do"

Ray[/QUOTE]

12. Like a lot of associations and other promoters they "improved" it until it didn't work any more....

lothiandon1940 and bobkatrods like this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It is their own fault it it did not survive.

bobkatrods likes this.
  14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Wasn`t it one of the biggest Goodguys show10 years ago. What made the numbers drop. IRP--? Whats that. Didn`t the date change also. I always wanted to go, When the chance came up, the car count didn`t justify the long trip.

15. verde742

verde742

They probably got enuff money to live the rest of their lives, for them and their families.

I compare it to charging Baseball players to play, THEN charging people to come in and watch them play.

16. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it was probably one of Goodguys' bigger events at the time. If you're wondering what "IRP" is, it's Indianapolis Raceway Park. After hearing great things from friends who had been to Indy numerous times, I finally had the chance to go in 2006. Spent most of the day Friday at the drags and thoroughly enjoyed that part of it. Saturday it rained most of the day so we left early, but it was still a great time mainly because of the drags. Now there are more options to see nostalgia type drag racing but in '06 it didn't seem there was as much of that going on. I'm really glad I went when I did.
    If you're interested, I have a few pics from the 2006 Goodguys Indy event here: http://www.terrysgarage.com/p789450690

17. I think we will see a lot of changes in the next 10 years , world of wheels is not gaining any shows the greats are dying off and the costs of travel are climbing
    I won ISCA class champion in 2012 and it cost me 2K now its that or a lot more just to do one show
    I am doing a show in a few weeks and if I have a bad experience I could just as well stay home and work on some cars in the shop, not cheep either but something to occupy a person in the cold winter of the heartland
    I have done goodguys desmoines several times, but after while its time to find other shows after 3 to 6 time I get bored at going to the same show, quiting KKOA Salina too

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

There was a thread on Goodguys leaving IRP a few years ago. I was told by a Goodguys rep
    at the time the vendors were dissatisfied with the facilities which could've meant almost anything from the tents to security. I went to the speedway but it was not the same.
    I cannot understand why neither Chicago or Indy cannot support an event with the central location and amount of cars in the area:confused::(

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yeah, verde742, that's a lot like indoor cars show charging the participant to enter a car and then turning around and charging spectators to view YOUR car...same as an out door summer type rod run...charge YOU to show off your car to everyone else...!!!

It's called capitalism...and a business won't continue to run IF it doesn't make profit...

R-

verde742 likes this.
  20. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The year we went to Indy, during Saturday's rain I know there was at least one person who was dissatisfied with a tent... ;)

S3010081.JPG

21. verde742

verde742

Yep, I grasp the idea, and it works "pretty well" most of the time..

I can't even imagine what the polo grounds In Scottsdale must cost for the weekend in November. Just gotta be GOBS. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

22. verde742

verde742

Got it !!!

23. slammed

slammed

How about an all new organization? H.A.M.B. GUY'S. 'bout it Ray?

verde742 likes this.
  24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:D I think you typo'd......that is spelled "Ryan"..........

Ray

25. verde742

verde742

where in the heck did you get yer AVATAR?

26. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

looks like MA got dumped after a couple years and they are back at the dutchess county fairgrounds in the summer. Better location IMO.

27. slammed

slammed

Nope. Savvy college & businessman, ect can brain storm a retro version of the old fairgrounds mega shows w/this trad thing you came upon called HAMB. ~Nation Wide~ 2016 BE THERE!

28. millersgarage

millersgarage

Pretty sad.
    No Hot Rod Nationals at all, so no Hot Rod Of The Year event, or award. The best thing about it at IRP, was the sound of the drags running during the show.
    I had not gone since it left the dragstrip.

29. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good Guys gave up in Wi. Had a show in Waukesha, went to Madison, now at Chicagoland speedway ? NSRA had a show at state fair park, West Allis Wi. Left, now Car Craft Nationals are there, went, good attendance, 5000 cars Saturday before storm came. I supported ALL these shows and enjoyed sleeping in my own bed. I wonder if the majortity of the attendance problem is related to the fact we are aging and we are the Grey hair hobby, noted fair amount of younger people a Car Craft deal, no restrition on car year, and noticed, every pro-street, blower car in Midwest was there. Very few Tuner type cars, things change, my favorite expression now is "it is what it is"

30. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Can't figure Goodguys out. When they left Rhinebeck they said that the rent for the Dutchess County Fairgrounds was too high and they weren't making enough money and not enough attendance. Now they are coming back to the DCF. Must have gotten a good deal.