Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No more "bro deals"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Jones

Just Jones

So, I'm a frustrated and have to rant about this as I know I'm not the only one noticing this these days:

I sold a bunch of hot rod parts to a guy lately, who seemed real cool, talked about how he and a buddy of his were going to use the parts on their respective projects, etc. As I was under the impression that the parts were going to help these guys get their projects closer to done and on the road, I gave him a great deal on the parts - considerably less than I had been originally asking. In other words, I gave him the "bro deal" as he seemed legit.

So, I was pretty disappointed and pissed off when soon after I saw a bunch of the stuff I sold him for sale here on the HAMB again, at prices way higher than what I had charged him. And this isn't the first time I've had this happen.

Has the traditional rod community gone down the same road that Harley bikes and parts did twenty years ago or so? More specifically, has scarcity, opportunism, and/or disillusionalism taken over, and driven prices up to the point where the regular guy traditional rodder has a hard time affording his own passion to build what he or she loves?

So for me, unless it's a personal friend, no more bro deals. I would rather sell my stuff to my buddies for cheap than have some jackass buy it, turn it, and rake in a bunch of cash as a result.

I know many of you will be of the opinion that "once its sold, the buyer can do what he wants with it". While its a free country and its true, keep that in mind the next time you are trying to find a decent, original model A roadster quarter panel, and the guy wants $2000 for it. Or maybe that '34 five window body you've been lusting after, which the owner is asking $12,000.

But I guess you rich guys out there are laughing your assess off about all this, because it doesn't matter to you. The rest of us regular Joes will just have to work harder at bringing back the beat up, rusted stuff that is left over. At least that is something to be really proud of.

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

Bro = Bend Right Over

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yeah, bro deals are for bros.

4. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

I used to always make a bro give me "weight" on stuff I sell cheap. Meaning if he decides he doesnt need it and wants to sell it, I either get first bid at buying it back at the original price, or we split the profit, whichever he chooses.

I used to be really nice and give my friends parts for their trucks, but that hasnt worked out either, recently I lost a lot of good stuff to guys who sat on it and then sold it along with their projects. Sometimes they ask for more stuff for their new ride! I must look like an easy mark.

5. Sanford Graham

Sanford Graham

speedyjones I agree with you 100 % It don't matter where you are, it's the same all over, a lot of them lurking in the shadow's on these site's, just waiting too take avantage, then they laugh about it ,like it's some great conquest.30 years ago this trend was starting up, it can only get worse......... happy motorin i hope

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm a greedy bastard and all about the money. I want top dollar for everything. I never have these problems.

7. try having one of your friends rent your house
    bro=bend right over is correct
    that fucker still owes me $1600
    oh and he is a hamber too
    tk

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen my stuff for sale on eBay, here and at some local car shows. It has caused me to think long and hard about what I charge for what I make. I am sort-of flattered that my stuff can sell for what I have seen it go for. I am dismayed that not one person selling attributed the construction to me. Several indicated that they made the part, or that a local high-end shop made it.

I don't expect to make a killing in this business, but it would be nice of my 'bro" did not steal my credit. In most businesses, happy customers are supposed to be your best advertising. Apparently not in this one.

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yeah It's sad that shit happens. But it's no different than a guy buying a model a from a farmer, and promising to restore it to original. all along knowing it is going to be a hot rod. I do agree with you about advertising it for more than they paid for it, RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. (That is cold) Maybe that is why a lot of the older guys are so cynical in dealing with this, Cuz they also have been burned.
    Anyways keep the faith. Were not all like that...John

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I hope this doesn't come off as mean, but maybe you need to spend a little time "weeding" out the BRO's. I have quite a lot of people I can call a friend, but only 3 I would deal with financially. You can't be a bud to everyone. It just doesn't work. Sad, but true.

11. 454navyss

454navyss

i only give "bro deals" to people who i have met in person or have heard good things about. therefore, i dont expect to get "bro deals" in return but i dont expect to pay new prices for something that is used either.

12. RichG

RichG

If I'm comfortable with what I've done, be it sell a piece cheap or give something away, what that person does is their business and they'll have to answer for their actions somewhere down the line. I also subscribe to the proverb, "Once, shame on you. Twice, shame on me". Screw me over and we are done.

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

On another note. I was given a 51 ford club coupe, with the understanding I would build it for me. And if not I had to give it to some one else, or return it to the guy that gave it to me. This was stated when the deal was done, and has to be honored or else I could lose a friend. Good friends are hard to come by...John

14. Just Jones

Just Jones

15. KRITTERSKUSTOMS

KRITTERSKUSTOMS
    from JONES, OK

I know what you mean. I let a so called buddy have a set of the original Crager Thrust D type wheels that I had for almost twenty years. He did not use them on his El Camino so about a six months later I asked what he did with them and he told me I could have them back for $400 bucks. So I keep everything unless I feel you will honestly use it. Not everyone is bad but its getting a lot worse. Your closet friends are sometimes your worst enemy.

16. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I know the feeling... not a better explanation ^than this one

other side of the coin it's good to weed out those who use, and those who are useful.
    any relationship should be a win/win

17. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Once a part or car leaves my hands I stop worrying about it. I give money I take money done deal. Life is way to short to have a stroke over nothing. My 2 cents

18. Gator

Gator

I'm always happy to give someone a part I'm not using if it gets their project closer to the road, BUT - anytime I give a part away it's with the condition that if it isn't used on the project it was meant for I get it back. I also ask guys to 'pay it forward' when they can.

I don't think that's too much to ask in return for free shit.

We had a club member who was bad about that. His favorite line was "What are you gonna do with that _______ - I'd like to have that." Then he'd sell it or trade it away.

The worst one lately though was I gave a friend a dual Flex-a-lite electric fan setup, the whole deal with the included controller was like $300 new. I said "If you can't use it, bring it back"

He used it alright, even though he had to cut it in half so it would fit!!

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I to am a greedy bastard and have sold quite a bit of 32 Ford stuff over the years. I have guys that I will give the special deal to because it will come back later when I need something. But nothing piss's me off more than trying to help someone and getting it in the butt later. With 40 years of hotroding behind me it has happened many times. You'd think I would get smarter!

20. oz40

oz40

I am with you Speedyjones,.
    I have a 33/34 Ford trunk lid (near perfect) for sale on two European forums, as I stuck in Europe at this time.
    Same thing, Bro attitude give it to me cheap so on, and so on. The price I am asking is realistic and reflects the going prices on the market.
    So no Bro deals here either, its going to stay in my garage, its that simple...., possibly I will attach it to a 3w coupe that I'll score one day.
    All the best
    oz40 (Tom)

21. 454navyss

454navyss

I gave a friend a camaro once with the understanding that he wanted to make it a racecar, 2 weeks later i asked him about it and he told me he sold it for $100 cause i was more of a project than he wanted. about 2 years later i asked the girl he was dating at the time about it and she said he sold it for $1000....which was still less than i had in just the interior in that car. needless to say, i dont talk to that "friend" much anymore

22. falfas55

falfas55

I recently helped a buddy who needed a flywheel & clutch:Grits: He's a good friend,so whatever I can help I will as with most of my friends. There are some i've helped and got screwed over.I'm still friends,but I don't do anything for them anymore.FALFA

23. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

dont stop giving BRO deals... just find better BRO's

24. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

Its next to impossable to build a car these days! Prices are through the roof and people are ASSHOLES! there is almost no such thing as a good deal anymore

25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

With my close buddies I'll generally give a great deal for stuff and have given away lots of stuff, even complete cars before.

People over the internet is a little different, it depends on the person or vibe I get.

Lots of people on the HAMB have given me incredible deals on parts I absolutely needed for my own projects, so I try to give back, especially to those people or people I've seen help others. I've never bought a part off the HAMB to resell, or resold an item at a great profit.

I guess now would be a good time to thank those of you that have helped me out, there are some cars that are a lot farther along because of you!! Thanks a ton!!! :)

26. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Yep, There's a few douche bags like that around here too. One bad apple...

27. evil dead

evil dead
    from canada

I have a story myself, I am not opposed to the "Bro deal", I have given away more cars than I have sold(not overly nice, but reliable dailies)

A friend called me up(a local shop teacher) to say they are bringing back the mud bog lub at the school and they need a truck. I say,"Have I got a deal for you!" I knew he wanted my old chevy('73, fresh small block, th350 np205, dana44 and a 12 bolt on 35s), so, come get it and the kids have a project! He pawned it off before it left my street and the kids didn't even get wind. Now I am still pissed, if he wanted to unload it, I would have been okay if he said it was for himself or some other line, but for the KIDS!?!? I hope that there is a special place in hell for that kind of deceit.

28. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Not all of us are bad apples Speedyjones. Some of us are true to our word. But, I too have had a bad deal here on the HAMB. Fortunately, it has only happened once and I'll be real lucky if it never happens again. But, I just figure, I take the good with the bad. Its the cost of doing business.

29. Jonny Tooth

Jonny Tooth
    from Victoria

I am will all of you that do not like what is going on with this hobby of ours, all that this selling part at a inflated price is going to do is kill the hobby for the average person. I know that i would not be able to build a car if the prices go much higher. i have always been the guy that if i have something that a bro needs i will give it to them or sell real cheap, on the flip side i know some dudes that will talk people out off shit just to sell and try to make living out of it. it makes me sick!!

30. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

The guys I consider "bros" I can count on one hand,and their money is no good at my place. If I have something they need I donate it. And they have always done the same for me. Any one else pays the price I feel good about or they leave empty-handed. Too many guys out there trying to take advantage of a person's generosity these days so they can make a buck. And these are the people who drive the prices of old parts so high that average guys can hardly afford to have a hot rod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.