Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage no jalopyrama..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey54, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Terrible news just seen on Facebook about the Jalopyrama show...

Jalopyrama 2018 Cancellation Notice
    It is with regret that we must inform you that the 2018 Jalopyrama will not be held this year at the
    Westminster Agricultural Center Shipley Arena. The new 2018 requirements put forth on the
    Jalopyrama show would not allow us to accept the AG Center’s proposed contract. We presented a
    counter-proposal, but it was denied by the AG Center board. In our proposal we attempted to secure
    show access via the county paved roads (Smith Avenue) for all attending show cars. (see photos below)
    Our proposal increased our costs by 66% over 2017. We believe that the new AG Center management and the
    board did not want a show as large and not under their direct control being held at their facility.
    This is truly unfortunate. Unfortunate that we break our string of fourteen years of successive shows.
    Unfortunate that national interest in our show is at a peak due to the tremendous show coverage and success of
    the 2017 show featuring Customs. Unfortunate that the show beneficiaries and the City of Westminster lose the
    donations and commerce as result of the show. Just in the last three years, Jalopyrama has provided just under
    $70,000 to local Westminster beneficiaries. We estimate that in these same three years, more than $250,000
    was spent in and around Westminster by show attendees. Last year alone, more than 50 rooms were booked at
    just the Best Western in Westminster. We had guests last year with rooms just outside Gettysburg.
    While it is unlikely that a suitable alternate location could be secured for 2018, we would ask fellow car friends if
    they are aware of a facility that could accommodate a show such as ours. We seek a facility in Maryland that would allow a
    substantive (50-120) indoor car display, so that we may preserve the signature retro 1950s/1960’s intimate
    indoor car show experience, but also allow for 300-500 show cars outside, with parking for up to 1,000 spectator
    vehicles. On-site camper and trailer parking, with overnight capability would also be preferred, but this need
    not be adjacent to the show field. The availability of decent local hotel/motel rooms is also very important.
    Welcoming and supportive show location management is a must.
    Put on your thinking caps. If you have any ideas please send us an e-mail. It may be too late for October 2018,
    but there still is October 2019.
    Thank you. Mike Szuba, President, Jalopyrama, Inc.

2. lothiandon1940 and stanlow69 like this.
  3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Any Community Colleges, Tech Schools, High Schools with Automotive programs? Under subscribed malls? County Fairgrounds? Closed factories?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. I'm sorry to here this.:( It's one of the best Hot Rod shows, { events } bar none. Thanks to everyone that helped put on the Jalopyrama! I don't do the facebook, or know who to email, But I do know of a couple cool county fair grounds. Like the Cumberland Md. fair grounds , where they put on the {Western Maryland Rod Round Up} is a great place. Also here Shenandoah county Va. We have a great fair grounds too. They both have everything mentioned above, plus dirt track ovals, and lots of ground for camping, indoor buildings for the cars etc. So best of luck on finding a new place. I made some great friends, and lots of good memories at the Jalopyrama. I'm sure that it will even be greater in the years to come. So Thank's and the best of luck. Ron... 875.jpg

5. ....................................Ron, You can send a PM to Mike on here with those suggestions. He logs on as Jalopyrama Mike. His e-mail is also on the Jalopyrama website. 24517.jpg

6. Guess we should all take this as a subtle reminder, as we've seen it happen before, good things don't always last forever. Hopefully Mike and the Rusty Nuts who have worked so very hard for the last 14 years to bring us one of the premiere shows in the country will find another suitable venue. That said, none of us are getting any younger and who knows what level of frustration might cause them and other promoters to just say, "to hell with it". I personally enjoyed the 3 year run of the Rodder's Journal/ Pimlico event which brought together some of the finest and historically significant Hot Rods and Customs from around the country. Sadly and apparently due to "logistical" issues it went away. I've enjoyed the Jalopyrama for all of these years and Mike and his crew have donated countless thousands of dollars to worthy causes. Let's hope it can continue, but if there is an event, show, cruise that you've been waiting for the right time to attend, now is that time. Westminster bound (1).JPG

slug, hrm2k, hotrodharry2 and 5 others like this.
  7. 27Tudor

27Tudor

8. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Great show. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road and Mike and friends will find a Hot Rod friendly facility for future shows.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. slug

slug

I agree with lothiandon. So sad. This was my first year for the Jalopyrama but I sure had planned on returning. Same on the Rodders Journal meet. I got in on the last one and it was gone. These smaller meets are really special in that they bring out cars you don't see every day. Heading to Austin this year just because it could happen there too. Slug

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

tb33anda3rd and lothiandon1940 like this.