Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features No it's not !!!! Wrong ! Cmon ! A what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigmac48, Aug 16, 2020.

1. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i used to get old guys who told me about "courting" their wives in a shoebox ford...

2. That's the worst thing about owning a shoebox, every old guy needs to overshare their experiences in the back seat of one. I've owned 2 shoeboxes and those are the comments I've heard the most.

3. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

My 32 Ford sport coupe happens to be black & of course as Henry Ford wished it has the soft top & landau bars where a normal quarter window would reside were it a normal 5w coupe, at any rate strangely enough by chance at a local evening car cruise I parked next to a presidential type mid-60's open Cadillac complete with rear passenger wind screen & partial rear top & landau bars as well.....perhaps since it was a mid October show with Halloween just around the corner I over heard several people comment with regards to the two funeral cars............

4. verde742

verde742

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Seems to me that most Utes have awkward-looking quarter windows, shorter than those on a coupe. Your Chevy looks great as a 3-window; I haven't seen one like that before.

Hamtown Al and Stan Back like this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few days ago I was parking at the local Menards (lumber yard etc) and I just got stopped an a F250 sitting pretty high pulled up nose to nose. He could almost drive over me:) As we were walking to the store he asked me what it was and I told him "Studebaker", he said "I thought it was some Italian car":)

alanp561 likes this.
  7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I was sitting in my "50 Fraud" at a show in Paso Robles years ago. A guy comes up to me and says, "I just love Studebakers". !Vic34Shade.JPG I said, "I do too, but this is a Ford." "Really?," he said.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the guy who found the 6 cylinder grille bullet and installed it upside down….;)

alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Malibu406

Malibu406

“PT Cruiser?” So much for with age comes wisdom. Maybe the current generation isnt as dumb as we like to think. My God...PT Cruiser!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. silent rick

silent rick

speaking of studebakers, a friend sick nick had a 53. nick grew weary of always hearing what kind of car is that.

so sick nick being who he is answered one young kid it's a 53 clitoris

the kid asked what's a clitoris, he never heard of one.

nick tells him to ask his mom

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The bullet on mine is blank, without a 6 or an 8. I found it at the Hershey swap meet, and I remember that it was in a Ford box.

12. ...a lady at a cruise nite asked if this was an old Volkswagen...
    37 coupe 5-10 016.jpg

13. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Car Show In A Small Town And 2 Friendly Ladies Commented About My Delivery...."Oh Look Someone Took A Olde Car And Made It Look Like A PT Cruiser"...Still Laughing... DSCN5026.JPG

mgtstumpy and clem like this.
  14. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

My 64 Galaxie convertible has been called an Impala so much I just say thanks anymore.
    I think it’s funny people can’t grasp that there were others car made other than the common or popular ones lol

I hat when someone call my A a rat rod. Just because it doesn’t have a nice paint job doesn’t make it a rat rod

X-cpe and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

More than once I've had someone argue that my Nomad is not a "real" Nomad because, "see, it says Bel-Air right there on the side." Also have been told my Nomad is a '55 and not a '56.
    My '40 Ford coupe has been called a roadster a bunch of times, and also a Willys, a Dodge, a Hudson.

I went through a McDonalds drive-thru in a small Arkansas town to get a diet coke and the young lady at the window said, "Nice Nomad." I said thanks and she said, "I bet you didn't expect me to know what a Nomad is, did ya!"

Texas57, alanp561, chromedRAT and 3 others like this.
  16. Had two old guys arguing over how much my radiator shell had been cut down by and was it an A or 32. When i said it was mine and the shell was a stock 28-29 A they started arguing with me. JW
    [​IMG]

LOU WELLS and LAROKE like this.
  17. LAROKE

LAROKE

I was at a car show back in '05 with my '55 1st Series Chevy truck, last of the Advance Design models.

[​IMG]

This truck was at the show too and was labeled as a fifty-niner (but I think it is really an early sixties truck). This truck came in handy to me later in the day when some kid (young man) was trying to tell us they made Advance Design trucks up thru '59. I sent him down to look at this truck and argue with its owner.

[​IMG]

26 T Ford RPU and unforgiven like this.
  18. clem

clem

That’s a neat photo…..
    ( fwiw - I have always thought that the ‘28/‘29 grille is the best looking grille on the Model T - just looks right )

26 T Ford RPU and Stan Back like this.
  19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I think it looks right, too. So much better than a 32 on a 28 or 29, or for that matter on a 30 or 31.

clem and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  20. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

laroke, i believe the later ones were called 2nd series ad. my friend had a '58 and he schooled me on it. i have a '52 and when i tell people they have asked me if was 1st series or 2nd series ad.

21. SS327

SS327

I had a 70 b5 blue PLYMOUTH GTX years back. One 4th of July I was asked by a local Plymouth dealer to be in the parade. By the end of the parade I had heard nice Dodge so many times I wanted to throw up.
    I almost got into a fist fight with a guy one night when he told me it was a Dodge and I added the Plymouth letters to the car. He should know because he had a 70 Road Runner he bought brand new. I had to fight the urge to slug him for wasting an hour of my time. A GTX was nothing more than a Road Runner with fancier trim and a bigger engine.
    He made it up to me the next weekend when he started in on my 2 buddies with their “Plymouth CHALLENGERS”.

22. At the traffic lights, a pedestrian says "I love Studebakers!", so I said "Well, SOMEONE has to buy them! " . I didn't have time to tell him it was a 36 Ford, before the lights went green. He looked happy enough.

23. KenC

KenC

Regarding the 1st and 2nd series thing, As I recall the first series 55 was a new frame, open drive etc, but with the 54 body. The 55 second series was the same frame but with the new style body that was used through the 59 model year. The stories I read stated that GM wasn't able to get the new body line completed in time to use it on the first of the 55s.

24. donno

donno

I have a pair of cast aluminum valve cover's, Mr Gasket, black wrinkle finish. Ford Power, but made for a SBC, wanted to put them on my SBC in my Merc coupe, know I'd get some goofy response's. Hesitant to do it, don't want to cut hole for pvc. Couple of friends want me to go ahead, and are trying to decide what to tell the "Expert's" what size the Ford engine is.

alanp561 likes this.
  25. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I cant stand people like that....my '37 has 60+ yr old cracking lacquer paint..and its not bondo...its age. I am looking for input on what to do with it other than the obvious....to paint it. I plan on painting this car eventually..but its funny how people will stop and stare at the cracking paint.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seldom engage, almost never correct. When someone tells me something is wrong I shut em down with a thank you. Rudeness is it's own reward sometimes. "Well when I build yours you can tell me exactly what to do, shit, maybe even how to do it. Fair enuff?"

I had someone tell me the 32 Packard 12 wasn't called a Twin Six. I just said "Ok, thanks..." "No, I'm serious they were called 'Twelve' Twin Six was old." In my best Sean Connery, "But of course it was." "Well I'm not gonna argue with you..." and I cut him off, "And doing a damn fine job of it too. Good stuff." He walked away muttering to his pal how you just can't talk to people. The trunk rack medallion of a 32 Packard Twin Six:
    :rolleyes:

20221120_084639.jpg

LAROKE, alanp561 and rod1 like this.
  27. I built a mid 60s Ford Galaxie and took it to the salt for a few runs, the top speed met my expectations for a car that wasn't designed to go that fast, Immediately a monday mourning quarterback started crowing about his BMWs top rated speed, when I asked him if he had a time slip he shut up and walked away.

alanp561 and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  28. BJR

BJR

When I had my restored 1932 Hupmobile a person asked what make car it was as it only had an H on the top of the grill shell. When I said Hupmobile he replied "I only thought those were in cartoons".

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  29. 1pickup

1pickup

My '39 Standard Tudor has been called a "bug" by people who are old enough to know better.

Cgrgrspt10 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  30. Crocodile

Crocodile

My 64 Falcon has gotten "Nice Nova" more times than being identified correctly. I usually replied, "thank you, it would be if it was a Chevrolet". But that was when I was a lot younger. I probably would just say thanks now, not worth the extra breath

jimmy six likes this.