Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features No it's not !!!! Wrong ! Cmon ! A what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigmac48, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg What's the most incorrect , dumbest ,most aggravating, ,funniest ,nicest thing you overheard someone say about your vehicle ? Only had my 40 sedan a little over 3 yrs during that time it's had its share of admirers ,nice comments , questions etc. One comment however that I overheard has stood out since it happened about a year ago . Was at a small local diner with the 40 parked outside in a visible safe place while I was enjoying my breakfast . Several customers came in after me , ordered ,eating their breakfast as I and others were .Another guy ,in his 60s comes in and one of the guys who was already inside eating greets him and says " hey did you see that sharp looking 40 ford out there ?" His response " Huh, what 40 ford ?" He looks out the window and says "oh , thought that was a P T CRUISER " I just shook my head ,finished my breakfast,left a tip and drove off in my PT CRUISER lookin 40 ford

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Paul B, swade41, vtx1800 and 52 others like this.
  2. Gabby

Gabby

Our car club had cars on display in a shopping mall. One member had a nice T bucket. I heard a guy tell his girl friend that it was one of those car where you just put the body over a VW frame.

WC145, Baron, 210superair and 6 others like this.
  3. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Guess he thought it was a V- bucket .lol

dan31, Baron, 61Cruiser and 5 others like this.
  4. jim snow

jim snow

I have also gotten the PT Cruiser comment. My response is yup from 1941. Snowman

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Is that one of those new Volkswagens?

Weedburner 40 and jim snow like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Other than color combinations of the mid 50’s most can’t believe the materials and colors of the interior. Most want to call it drapery material.
    I thinks it’s because everything looks alike today.

41 GMC K-18 and dana barlow like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That a PT Cruiser?
    No, it's a Dickfer.
    What's a Dickfer?
    Ask your Momma.

8. I had a lady actually ask me once if my Roadster was an early Indy car. I was at a loss for words.:rolleyes: 20170611_070856.jpg

9. Back in the early 70's there were just a hand full of hot rods in town, nice dune buggy was a common comment. HRP

[​IMG]

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a young kid, I used to get the early round bodied Fords confused with the Volvos that were showing up around then. 1948 Ford.jpg 1950 Volvo.jpg

11. verde742

verde742

My '40 Ford Deluxe Tudor: A guy is telling me "he had one just like it, "cept the crease in the hood came back thru the door." I replied you had a '37 or '38 Chevy. he wanted to argue, as I walked away, I told my wife " we gotta get a new hobby"

12. Seems no matter what it is I build, someones brother or uncle had one just like it.

WC145, wicarnut, 61Cruiser and 12 others like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey, ya wanna sell that dune buggy.:confused:

WC145, wicarnut, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  14. RmK57

RmK57

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Chrysler / Fiat or whatever it was back then went for that nostalgic look and got it. If your not paying attention or half blind I could see the mix up.

chryslerfan55 and alanp561 like this.
  15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd like to have me one of those early Indy cars.....

16. verde742

verde742

my Volvo also brought on a lot of '46-48 Ford Tudor responses.. volvo frt.jpg

17. verde742

verde742

I Like to tell them, "O, they only made them ONE YEAR ONLY"

chryslerfan55 and milwscruffy like this.
  18. primed34

primed34

Looks like they painted over rust on that fender. The fenders are fiberglass. This happened right after I got the car. Something just didn't jive with the paint. Stripping paint off of fiberglass was so much fun.

chryslerfan55 and Weedburner 40 like this.
  19. fuzzface

fuzzface

My best compliment came from a car I didn't even own. Let me explain.

I go to this one small town quite often and I happen to stop in one day and a guy I knew were chatting it up and he mentioned about me being across the street on Saturday around lunch time, saw my car supposedly. I couldn't remember stopping there Saturday and asked him he saw my yellow t across the street? Only old car I played with that day outside of my yard.

No, he saw my green roadster with the funky headers. I had to think a few seconds but then it hit me. Nope not my car but Bobleed's car. He must have been in town for lunch that day. Turns out he asked at the bar he was at who's hot rod was at the bar across the street and the group there came to the conclusion it was me because it was my style of cars I build and drive and I am always showing up in something they never saw before.

So my best compliment I got was being compared to Bobleed quality of cars even though it wasn't my car they saw that day.

20. fordflambe

fordflambe

Quiet often, i get the question........."Is that an old Hearse?" But I have also had the "PT Cruiser" question........

freeport_joy_ride_002_.jpg

21. 6sally6

6sally6

One thing about having a classic Mustang (....."ohhhhhhhhh....Mom he said the M-word!")
    everybody with a brain (and not sniffing glue or huffing spray paint) knows what it is...knew somebody that had one...dated some 'chick' that had one...their uncle had one....whateverrrr...but at least they know WHAT it is. Most can't get the year right but.......hey!!;)
    Luv dem 39's/40s.......'specially yours!
    6sally6

22. Any dumb ass can tell that's not a PT cruiser, it's obviously a Chevy HHR!

WC145, alanp561, chromedRAT and 11 others like this.
  23. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

try driving a henry j!! is that a studebaker,mustang,early datsun,vw,volvo,nash,chevy fleetline and many i don't even remember mostly because they were really stupid.

alanp561, deadbeat, Sonofabob and 2 others like this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A buddy of mine who is a Hamb member bought a slick T bucket from another friend in the 70's. Car was show quality with all the shiny trinkets and a Big block Chevy with a Tunnel ram. He stopped somewhere and a lady kept raving over his cute little "June Buggy" .

I drove the 48 to work at the airport a few times and one of my coworkers said it wasn't any good because I couldn't take it up in the hills hunting because it was too low. He was the same one that told me that my 71 GMC 3/4 ton camper special was too little to haul anything. His "big truck" was an 89 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with the small V8. One of the other guys started laughing and then had to ask him if he had ever actually looked at my 71.

25. "Is that one of those trike things?' errr...just count the wheels!

26. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I like to weld the stamped Ford script from a '46-'47 truck hood between the tail lights on a '34 coupe's panel below the decklid...
    we were all standing around the rods when an old grey hair walks up, points at the {script], and tells his grandson that this one was a deluxe... we lost it !

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  28. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Back when I was 18 I had this '54 GMC. It was a Hydromatic 100 that someone had shoehorned a '70 300hp 350 into. It was a beat up piece of junk but it had the stance. With those chrome steelies, meaty tall blackwall tires and reverses on the back, Man! that old truck had the look. It was a piece of junk.
    I loved it.

One night I'm in the Food World parking lot chewing some gum behind the wheel of that old GMC. I worked at the Food World as a sacker (paper or plastic?) and there was a little cashier in there I was kind of sweet on, so I was getting up the courage to go talk to her.

Up comes this old guy, that in my eyes at the time, was not a day younger than say, 247 years old.

" I like your truck." says the old man." Yessir". I say. "It's a 54 GMC." says I.
    "Well, I had a ole Chevy." says the man.

This brings on a lengthy but rather present conversation.

Everything is rather pleasant until I say this...." This truck came from the factory with an automatic transmission." I was going to tell him how much I wished it was still original.

"No it didn't." says the man.
    " Ah, yes sir it did. That's why it says Hydramatic 100 on the badge." says I.
    " I don't give a damn what that says these trucks did not come with automatics! " Then he starts and goes off to planet nutz-O.
    " You don't tell me what these trucks had in then you dumdass, none of these trucks had automatic transmissions".

Being a kid and a very respectful and courteous one at that, I was amazed. I just looked at him. I had never seen anybody go absolutely bat shit crazy, over.... nothing! I mean this guy went nuts.

To this day, I'll be nice and nod, but I don't get into detail and I don't engage.
    My Dad says this.

Some people talk out of their ass because their mouth knows better.