Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects No Fuzzy Dice...Digging the History of my '57 Chevy Convertible Drag Racer

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flamed34, May 19, 2022.

1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Too much, man, that's way too much!

AHotRod and flamed34 like this.
  2. flamed34

flamed34

Not sure I want to let the extra unit go yet...I'm not over the fact I have it, lol.

3. flamed34

flamed34

That's been my dad's line for several years with much lesser finds. This time he wanted to know if the whole horse was up there...

-Brent-, catdad49, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Really awesome.... please leave it a hotrod, stock equals boring....

5. This has to be about the coolest find I have ever even known about! Not sure I have ever seen such a time capsule! :cool:

I thought I had found something when I dug “Old Injun” out of a lean too. It was a rusted out hull of the race car it used to be though with no extra parts.

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Envy meter pegged! Glad you got it.

AHotRod, SS327 and flamed34 like this.
  7. 37dodge

37dodge

Dang! that is awesome! Can't believe all the cool parts with it too. Score of a lifetime!

AHotRod likes this.
  8. flamed34

flamed34

I had to go find the pic...would have been very cool if complete

9. flamed34

flamed34

As I continue to read and learn, one thing is confusing me.
    Remember, this car came off the road in 1963 so there was a short time when this was built.
    If you take a look at the 2 pics here, it clearly shows a '57 column without accommodations for a column shift. You'll also see a block off plate in front of the 4 speed shifter.
    My assumption was there was originally a 3 speed floor shift, which was blocked off when the 4 speed was put in.
    Everything I'm reading says there were no floor shift 3 speeds, and no 4 speeds left the factory. 20220515_174023.jpg 20220515_173956.jpg But then why is there not a column shift hole? I can't believe there was an aftermarket collar to eliminate the hole in 1963 or earlier.
    And what is that block off plate? Was there a factory access hole?
    Now I have to go and look at the other end of the column to see if there was any allowance for a column shift. I'll be honest, there's been so much to observe I haven't been able to remember and process everything I'm seeing.

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I suppose the hole could have been filled, bodyworked and painted. Maybe the dealer installed 4 speeds included a new hole delete collar... what does the bottom of the column near the steering gear look like? any shifter arms down there??

11. flamed34

flamed34

That's what I need to look at...nothing jumped out at me while looking at it, but there's been so many shiny things I may have missed it. Hole doesn't appear to have been filled but I'll have to take a harder look

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I'm impressed.

13. A draggin Rag Top…man that’s cool…show and go..love it

Deuces, AHotRod and flamed34 like this.
  14. SS327

SS327

They could have used a shift collar from a later steering column or just used a later column from something else. Not hard to fake a column. As for the hole in the floor it could have had a Hurst Mystery Shifter or some other 3 speed shifter installed at one time.
    Build it as the original owner intended but keep the stock factory parts on a shelf for the time IF you ever sell it. Truthfully though this is one of those keep it for life cars. Because you would never ever be able to replace it and nobody would ever believe the story if you did not show it to them so they could see it for themselves!
    Question? Is the whole horse uncomfortable stuck up your ass like that?

15. SS327

SS327

That is the stuff of every little boy’s wet dreams!

16. flamed34

flamed34

17. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

18. elgringo71

elgringo71

@jimdillon, you might be interested in this one

19. flamed34

flamed34

I agree mostly. It's a little extra special as a fuelie convertible...but so much cooler as a hotrod

VANDENPLAS, Deuces, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  20. elgringo71

elgringo71

This find definitely has the cool meter pegged out. What are the chances that the car would’ve so highly optioned and then on top of that be a time capsule with a lot of the coolest speed parts of the time and many of them still in the boxes or with purchase documentation? On top of that the car is solid and complete.

21. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you find it painful to sit with that GIGANTIC golden horse shoe stuffed up your ass?!?! What a Killer Friggin' find!!! :cool::D

VANDENPLAS, Deuces, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  22. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Without question, one of the best finds of NOS factory and speed parts I've witnessed in a very long time. That Latham in it's original box is the crowning jewel. An early roller Crane NOS cam??? Good for you! Looking forward to seeing it completed in it's original "race ready" form and I'd love to see the dyno numbers for that small block!

23. flamed34

flamed34

Last night it was reinforced why I feel I need to resurrect this car and maybe why it found me.
    A family friend who has several big block hotrod/streerod 57s done (I painted the first 57 he owned which was his first car too) stopped by to check it out. He's a 500+ hp, big wide tire kind of guy.
    He begged me to sell it to him...keep all the vintage stuff, fuelie stuff...because he would put a big block in it anyway...
    I love him like a brother, but cringe thinking he would have destroyed all that history.

-Brent-, deadbeat, Baumi and 18 others like this.
  24. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations.

lothiandon1940 and AHotRod like this.
  25. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

With respect to the column shift, as I recall the truck 4 speed shift collars were a fit without all the grind & fill work.

VANDENPLAS, 31hotrodguy and AHotRod like this.
  26. SS327

SS327

You know what. In looking at those pictures again that frame looks all rusty. The headers and exhaust is all rusty, the interior is all dirty and carpet is missing. Floor boards are all rusted out and the diff has a bad leak. The “new” parts are all dirty and corroded. I’ll give you $2,000.00 for all of it and haul all that junk off for you ASAP! How’s that sound? We got a deal? That’s a lot of zeros! Let me know. I’ll need the title to the car too so I can junk it.

27. flamed34

flamed34

Might be the case...and I'm not trying toma ke this something it isn't...just not seeing color variation that I would expect. The column doesn't have shifter arms...but don't know if they were cut off (very smooth and curved like they never existed) or can I find a good photo of a 58/59 floor shift column to compare?
    I do think it was a whole lot of work to do to swap parts and trim the column, install a floor shifter for the 3 speed. and then install the 4 speed all in a few years. But then again, those were hot rod days...with fewer distractions like internet, games, etc
    20220520_191553.jpg 20220520_192557.jpg 20220520_191607.jpg View attachment 5406521 View attachment 5406522 View attachment 5406523

chryslerfan55, Deuces, egads and 2 others like this.
  28. flamed34

flamed34

You know, I probably shouldn't have ripped out the carpets. $2k seems a little high considering. Does $1500 seem fair?

29. Did you notice the emergency brake handle. Never seen that on a tri 5.

AHotRod likes this.
  30. Cool car with history and mystery, thanks for sharing.

Deuces and AHotRod like this.