Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs No fluid to bleeders in front.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoop, Apr 10, 2015.

1. scoop

scoop

1950 Chevy fleetline Chassis Engineering front suspension,disc brakes,S10 rear end drum brakes .S10 master cyl and booster.Rear bleeds fine,fluid to calipers none to bleeders.Pulled calipers off to make sure pistons are not in too far for fluid to get behind them,ok.Still nothing to bleeder.WTF.

2. Did you unscrew the bleeders to see if there was fluid there?Are you using a pressure bleeder or jump pump and hold?Sounds like the bleeder screws could be plugged.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If the bleeders are clear I'd probably put my thumb over the line at the caliper, bleed the lines that way then see if you get pressure when you pump the pedal.

4. scoop

scoop

Pulled the bleeders all the way out,no fluid.

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Try cracking the line to the front at the master cylinder. If you have fluid and pressure there. Move on toward the calipers. Is there a combination valve in the system? Some of them will block flow if the pressure is too low in one side. You might have to crack the line to the rear brakes to center the piston. Sometimes you have to loosen both lines from the master cylinder and tap on the valve to get it to center.

6. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Prolly need new hoses to the calipers. They're swelled shut.

Jack E/NJ

7. X2!

8. shop teacher

shop teacher

Combo valve sometimes have a button you have to push in to bleed the fronts ?

9. fordor41

fordor41

my guess is the combo valve has tripped during the rear bleeding and has shut off the front

10. scoop

scoop

New rubber lines.

11. BobMcD

BobMcD

Scoop, If you have fluid to the calipers, but nothing coming out of the bleeders, the only place the problem can be is the caliper itself. Are these new or used? Pull the bleeder screws back out. Make sure they are clear. Take a cotter pin or a small nail and poke it in the the bleeder hole in the caliper to be sure it's clear. If seen these plug up with gunk and not let fluid pass through.

12. scoop

scoop

Everything is new.Trying some different banjo bolts.

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Do you have pressure if you loosen the banjo bolts?

You might have gotten fluid to the front until you got the rears bled enough to get pressure to shift the piston in the combination valve blocking flow to the front.

14. 36stude

36stude

Do you have the calipers on corect are the bleeders on top if not you have them upside down you need to which them left to right

15. If they are off shore did they forget to drill some holes? Try loosening the hose and see if fluid gets that far.

Charlie Stephens

16. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Might have air in the master. If that bleeds fine then have someone step on the brakes and see if the wheels lock up. Maybe something is wrong with the set up keeping pressure from the front.

17. uncle buck

uncle buck

How about a little more info please. Is everything (calipers, m/c, hoses,steel lines, etc) new or rebuilt. Is this a fresh line plumbing? What are you using for a proportioning / distribution valve? Did you bench bleed the m/c ? How is the system plumbed? Is the m/c firewall mounted or under the floor?

18. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

The 2 guys above me are correct,you need to bleed the m/cyl then gravity bleed the front lines,when they start bleeding on their own,lock em up and get your mate on the pedal and start over and get that air out,good luck,Gaz!

19. I like to use aftermarket proportioning valves myself.

Things to do: Blow out all the lines and hoses to make sure they're clear. Bleed the master of course. Try vacuum bleeding, did this on my '59 and it saved me a lot of time.

20. Are you using a proportion valve?,,if so is it plumbed correctly? HRP

21. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Try taking a pump oil can, fill with brake fluid and pump backwards thru the bleeders.

22. scoop

scoop

Are the hoses to the caliper supposed to go on a certain way? I've always put them on so the metal part of the hose points away or down from the caliper.Never had a problem like this.Everything is new and plumbed correctly.

23. The blocked hose problem,
    That shows up as brakes that don't return and drag. There's more than enough pressure from the master to overcome a swollen hose and send fluid past the restriction.

50pontiacguy likes this.
  24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Do you have fluid if you loosen the line that goes to the front brakes at the master cylinder?

25. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

True but not necessarily evenly. Also shows up in front pulling to one side or another. Jack E/NJ

26. scoop

scoop

All new hoses.Fluid at the master and hoses.None getting to the bleeders.

27. Just for laughs... remove the bleeder screws and see if the holes are drilled correctly in them.

28. scoop

scoop

I've thought about that.

29. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

If fluid is at the caliper end of the hoses then something is blocked inside caliper(s). With the caliper on the car blow air into the caliper and see if it comes out the bleeder, or visa-versa. On caliper installs I open the bleeder and let gravity feed the fluid to the caliper.

30. Did you bleed the master cylinder? Are you running a separate residual valve than the one in the master?