Register now to get rid of these ads!

NO ethanol gasoline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by railroad, Feb 25, 2010.

1. railroad

railroad

If you need no ethanol gasoline near the Birmingham Alabama area, try exit 272 on I 65. The station looks like a Shell, but is not. Operator told me he has to pay 4 cents per gallon to not get ethanol. His prices are about 4 cents less than others. He carries all 3 octanes. I just need it for my small engines, lawn mower, 4 wheeler, chain saw, generator, chain saw, etc that sit. I have had to pull the carb on about half of them, even using Sta bil. I put a tank in my pickup and noticed no difference. My trucks timing is right on the edge. If I get it in a pull, the valves rattle a smidge. It did the same with the tank of staight gas, so the octane must be the same. I have not checked the mileage. Operator said, he want make anything on gas, want to sell tires and do repairs. Looks like a motorcycle rider also. May be the reason he does not like ethanol.

2. George

George

Here in Ft. Walton Bch. Fla. Gatlin Service Station is E0. Price can be good to high, never know wich it'll be.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish. Our gas here in CA is about 10%. It is supposed to reduce emissions, but it hurts mileage in vehicles that can't compensate for it. If I cross a state border I get 3-4 mpg improvement in the DD.

4. George

George

It'l eat up the rubber & carrode things in your fuel system.

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I think the horse is dead. Has this subject been discussed before? :rolleyes:

Neal

6. George

George

Yeah, along with zddp, ect, ect. Didn't even mention that they might mandate E15, that'll ruin anything pre 2002....

7. jrlemke

jrlemke

My 2002 LeSabre shop manual says 10% is max! I try not to use any. Fleet Farm stations in my part of WI. only have Ethanol in mid grade.JRL

8. k9racer

k9racer

thank you I am going to smoke city {{crumley chapel}} next week and will load up a 55 gal drum as everybody in huntsville is 10% blend.. Thats only 10 miles past the first/last chance beverage exit and the one going to sayre..Thanks again Bobby.

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I have an exhaust valve that is stuck in my flathead because of fuckin 10%.

I have to deusch it down with marvel till it dies just to keep the valves from rusting in the block because of moisture

10. Damn, replies full of ignorance.

I really wanna know how Ethanol got a valve hung up? You guys realize much of the country has been using blends for well over 20 years with no ill effects?

Been discussed here many times. Do a search.

11. George

George

Saw where the Australian Govt. did a study on E10 hoping it would show no problems. You should have seen the build up of crap on the valve stems! Fairly lenthy report, was posted on an Aussie site, don't know if still available.

12. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

bullshit there have been tons of tests done it does not eat anything ..

if you think it does get a can of it throw some rubber and a fuel pump in there and open it up in 2 months and see what happens .
    i have a friend here who runs e 85 in everything

to many people talk shit about ethonel and give it a bad name .

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  13. Ob1

Ob1

After exhaustive testing on my '63 Grumman, I have decided to use e0 fuel when I can get it.

Reason: mileage.

After making 6 trips with identical loads down the same route of 154 miles, I found the regular grade e10 fuel gave 11% less miles per tank.

My vehicle weighs about 10Klbs, and is powered by a 292 I6. Obviously underpowered, it requires about 95% throttle to run at cruising speed of 58mph@3Krpm.

Yes, the heavy demand placed on the motor is ultimately the source of the worse than expected e10 mileage loss, but it is real nonetheless.

An added benefit of e0 was power. On a particular bridge without a running start, e10 power went flat and could gain no rpm/speed. With e0, slow but steady rpm/speed increase on the climb. Sure made the people behind my behemoth happier!

I burn it when I can find it, starting at Russell's Exxon here in Charleston SC, pretty steady at $2.99/gal

You can look for straight fuel here, as well as add you local stations. http://pure-gas.org/

14. George

George

15. We still have a choice in Oklahoma of what we want to run. The pumps are labeled plainly - either 100% Gasoline or E10. There are also more outlets for E85 and also LPG, too.

16. reefer

reefer

I recently bought a stone stock Deuce roadster out of the U.S.....it took a couple of months or more to finally get the car home.I had the car ticking over in the garage and was stood outside and noticed what I thought was one of the water pumps letting go and spraying water all over the place.I checked it out and found it was the flexi fuel hose that had blown up like a sausage and ruptured and was spraying petrol all over the place.

I shut it down and threw a blanket over the front of the car in case...that stuff burnt my skin like acid.It f**ked the pump,the carb and the line.We don`t use Ethonel fuel here(I think) and after doing a search on the web, I hope we never do...that stuff has got a real short shelf life before it goes off and starts rotting things.

i drained what was left in the tank and replaced the pump,line and carb, then filled it with good old petroleum.

If you guys in the colder states have laid you cars up over winter with any of that crap fuel in the tank, I`d drain it out and put fresh gas in as soon as you get to driving again.

17. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

E10 is nothing more than gasoline with 10 percent alcohol, ya know the stuff they ran in hot rods back in the day. Hell, moonshiners ran white lightening in there cars during runs. If you are running E85 you have to make some significant changes but up to about 15 percent you are ok. The thing with older engines is they need LEADED fuel, that is what will stick valves faster than anything is running unleaded with an engine that requires leaded.

It's a dead horse and I'm not going to beat it to death, if I wanted I could explain it all after earning my associates in automotive technology just a couple years ago. Alternative fuels was a required course and ethanol was highly studied and discussed.

18. railroad

railroad

I have no known problems in the engines that are run regularly. It is the engines that have to sit waiting for better weather that I have had problems with. My theory is the alcohol absorbs water, which corrodes and gums up the pumps and the jets.

19. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

It's either regular or mid-grade here in WI at Fleet Farm gas stations doesn't have ethanol in it. I usually get it for the lawn mower and the boat.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  20. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

The ethanol nay sayers are just that, nay sayers... We've been running ethanol in the midwest for 20+ years, I've NEVER HAD ONE FUEL RELATED PROBLEM, EVER. Do you really think that if it ate up parts that they would still be using it??? REALLY???

21. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Of course they would, with cars being more and more advanced with sensors and what not, less and less people have the knowledge to be shade tree mechanics. With many saying f' it and buying a new a vehicle when they start having nonstop problems. (I'm speaking about the average Joe, not people on here. You guys are great :D) Thus making the auto industry more money.

I've noticed a lot more people having fuel pumps crap out on them then before. Granted they are in vehicles that were made prior to ethanol being as widely used, but still pretty big coincidence.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep, it's dog food at this point

really? lol, I think not.

oh, great let bring up another fairy tale.

20+ here as well....

23. Ob1

Ob1

I like the no E fuel for mileage reasons in my Grumman RV, and I like it for all 17 of my motorcycles, since none were intended for alcohol fuels.

3 years ago I inherited my father's Goldwing, which had been parked for 15 years. I started off like any other machine revival, install a new battery, clean the carbs, install new fuel lines etc.

Those fuel lines lasted 2 months. Sorry, dont care for E fuels.

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

where did you get the fuel line? Every fuel line I have gotten for the last almost 20 years has been fine with a little bit of E. Hell I have a whole roll I ordered from K&L Supply (the do m/c parts) and it's fine. I think you got some crappy fuel line.

25. drdoom

drdoom
    from new jersey

for one of the most informative web sites on todays fuel and the changes and effects on driveablity,performance,lubricity,fuel system materials,and classic cars. go to www.renewablefuelsfoundation.org/changesingasoline click on auto technicians, scroll down to bottom of page an click on the link,

26. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Allentown PA area has non-E at the Gulf station on Emmaus Ave near the 309 over pass

27. Ob1

Ob1

Got it at Cycle Gear, cant recall the name brand. Hope the Goodyear line that went in lasts better, not crazy about it since it isnt metric sized {or at least what I was able to find}

28. dirtbag_46

dirtbag_46
    from ohio

Shit killed my grandpas 2 stroke harly davidson golf cart. I know I won't run it in my yz 125 now. I don't know much else though. Anyone else have any words of wisdom with The big E in two strokes?

29. I run it in my Stihl weedeater, my lawnmower, my Briggs tractor...........no problems what so ever. I sense an urban myth growing here. The sky is falling, alky will kill your engine!:rolleyes:

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here in the Yakima Valley of Washington state the Conoco stations in Granger and Toppenish are said to be ethanol free.