Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical no cotter key hole

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joee, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

VW's used the split nut with a pinch bolt & it worked fine. It's just heavier and more expensive than a cotter key.

I've also used the "Micro-Loc" spindle nuts, which is a finer version of the Ford stamped "castle" retainer. I liked them well.

2. 61 chevy

61 chevy

who pays shipping ? I would drill

3. To edit my first post, I should have added that I had not seen the tang washer on a car but have used them on large trailer axles. They look similar to the one above and do the job, All the cars I have worked on had the cotter pins. I would not be afraid of the washer as long as it was installed as said, before the nut. Be sure to bend the top tab over a flat on the nut.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Bet you'll call Speedway first, next time.

gas pumper likes this.
  5. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

My speedway spindles had a hole in each. However I had to make 1/4" spacers to tighten up on the
    early GM rotor bearings. Has any else had this problem?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

What's wrong with using OEM spindles?

7. we are building hot rods and are mixing and matching parts and at times some modifications are required just use common sense and don't over think the problem just be safe as far as locking tab washers i usually see them used on hollow shafts that something passes in the center like full floating axles, four wheel drive hubs, harley clutches

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Speaking of Micro-loc nuts, anyone have a part # for them to fit early Ford spindles. I like the idea of having a finer adjustment.

Ago

9. joee

joee

has anyone used Loctite to hold a spindle nut on /not using cotter key just Loctite? did it work? anyone have any insight on if it would work or not?thanks

10. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Dont go there Joee

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

12. Muttley

Muttley

Sounds like an OlSkooooolRodzzzzzzzzzzz tech article.

13. it would probably be fine but why the hell would ya, the split pins there for a reason, its a fool proof way of insuring your front hub don't fall off an you don't kill yourself and some other poor bastard sharing the road..

14. joee

joee

no hole in the spindle for cotter key

15. stimpy

stimpy

no hole for a spindle nut then double nut it with a spindle nut cage
    [​IMG] or drill it if you have more than 2 times the diameter hole material left on the spindle fromthe outside of the holes edge and try to use the smallest cotter key possible , because the brakes or the bearings will heat the spindle up enough to soften the locktite , or you will get locktite on the race seat or inthe bearing face and then its a pain to get loose unless you put a lot of heat into it .

16. No, reason is because that nut isn't very tight.
    Get this thought out of your mind, now

17. joee

joee

I'm thinking Loctite and preload would be a problem......I like others thoughts it get's me thinking. thanks to all

18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN

When I was a rod tech for Speedway I ran across these problems from time to time. Yes the spindles are supposed to be drilled for a cotter pin, and in some applications you need a spacer to get the bearings adjusted properly. They will exchange the spindles for good ones. This happens because of cheap Chinese crap, and not enough QC. Speedway has always made good on their mistakes though, just a big inconvience to you

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

Kwalatee kontrol. We leave out the S, for safety.

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

School me on how that works.