Register now to get rid of these ads!

No brakes!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Invicta, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Invicta

Invicta

So just thought I would share, I was in my 62 Buick Invicta, on my way back from a car show in down town Phoenix about a week ago. I was going about 80 on the I 10 when i arrived at my exit, I put my foot on my brake pedal and I push it to the floor.............nothing. I push it to the floor again and again.....Nothing. I instantly feel a little bead of sweat on my brow. By now I have slowed down to about 70 and I am coming up quick on the Red light at the end of off ramp. I make the decision to hit the emergency brake. I push it to the floor........again.... Nothing. I actually Yelled really loud. I then dropped gears to slow me down a little as I go screaming through the red light. Scared the living hell out of me. I coasted home after this unable to breathe for about an hour. Lucky for me I made it home without a scratch.. Any other close calls out there like this?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

did that once in my old pickup. only difference was my brakes went out... not breaks.

when your brakes go out you might break something.

3. Invicta

Invicta

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

BRAKES not Breaks,
    PEDAL, not Peddle
    BREATHE, not Breath
    WITHOUT, not with out

There, I feel better.

5. Invicta

Invicta

Holy shit people. I guess I need to stop relying on spell check.

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Hey, that experience would have scared the vocabulary right out of me! :cool:

7. thanx for that, mike51merc

8. budd

budd

i've had the same thing happen kinda, only i hit the back of a car in front of me, pedal went to the floor and no time for a second pump, that was the only time it happened, the brakes works fine after that, now i use dual masters just to be safe.

9. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Happened to me in Highschool. Just finished rebuilding all of the wheel cylinders that day on my 59 ford 2 door and test drove it many times. Brakes were solid. Driving to pick up my home coming date that night and the pedal goes to the floor at a stop sign. I was probably approaching the stop a little to fast when I realized the brakes were gone... The person in front of me went through it just as I would have hit them. down shifted, cranked the wheel into a parking lot, threw it in neutral and hit the parking brake.

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I actually had that happen to me in 1983 in Phoenix in rush hour traffic. The '55 Chevy I was driving blew through the brake lines, pedal went to the floor. Hit the car in front of me and threw that car into the car in front of him. It was ugly, backed up traffic for miles. You would be surprised how many obscenities are thrown at you when people are sitting in traffic in 115 degree heat.

11. George

George

Way back I was turning into the left turn lane on a 6 lane road & the engine quit. Found out w/o the engine running the brakes didn't work either.:( Made a hard left across the oncoming 3 lanes, jumped the corner on the sidewalk between a telephone pole & a fence & then across 2 oncoming lanes on the side road. Luckily didn't hit or damage anything.:eek:

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

ON MY HOG COMING DOWN THE ROCKIES INTO ASPEN .
    THATS WHERE THE SAYING "SHIT HAPPENS " STARTED ,(because it did) NOT FOREST GUMP.

13. budd

budd

my mom had it happen to her on, post office hill, hit the pedal and no brakes, took aim at the parking meters lining the street to slow down, flattened like 10 of them but made the corner at the bottom to avoid going down a big bank and into the river, she ended up with a broken back and in traction for a long time, but she recovered, a week before that following an argument with the old man she took out 13 fence posts just to let him know how pissed off she was..lol...me and my sister were riding with her, but thats another story. that 1966 mercury monterey was built like a tank.

14. Spell check has no idea what you are thinking. But who really cares we had an idea of what we think you are thinking.

I've lost my brakes before, its never any fun. I don't recall it being a breath taking experience but I do recall once that it was a major buzz kill.

15. Sounds like a single master cylinder failure.HRP

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Was that back when they use to call you Underwear Brown? :D

17. whid

whid

this happened to me last week....was coming home from work in my ol rat-assed ranger pick up....went through a red light as well...swore everytime i hit the pedal it actually sped up....thank God I didnt hit anything and that dude left the scene on a flatbed.....Oh,and by the way Invicta...there with you bro ,when that crap happens you're so shook you dont give a F how you spell it.............dave

18. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

The EMERGENCY BRAKE is your friend! And dual-reservoir master cylinders. Safe a life, update your systems! :)

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that's fuckin FUNNY!!! I'm still laughin as I reply!!

Had it happen in a 70 GTO once. A guy in a Grand National wanted to race so I layed into the ol bitch. We ran out of space before he could catch up and we were on a freeway. I hit just under 120 on the speedgauge and gave it up to slow down. Got down to about 70 and the brakes fadded a bunch. No panic, let em cool, nope...no brakes now. Holy shit I see dozens of brake lights ahead of me!! WHOA, AN EXIT...I cut across traffic, exit at Rotunda Dr and pull it into 2nd, then low, tried the parking brake, got it down to like 40 and turned right with a TV quality tire squeel! Holy shit...knees and ankles quivering...brake pedal bouncing...oh that was me! Finally the brakes cooled off enough to stop. I pulled into a restaurant and chilled out for a bit. Note to self. No more street racing on the way to work with OEM 4 wheel drum brakes! In fact, NO MORE STREET RACING! Yeah, that last idea held true for about a year...

20. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

A dual master will not prevent that from happening! I've lost the brakes three times on three different vehicles and in every case it was with dual master cylinders and even fitted to a 1953 truck which wouldn't have come with one. In each case the pedal went to the floor squirting all the fluid out and no brakes at all.

What concerns me most is seeing so many rodders convert to hydravac brake systems... the disaster potential is enormous. I much prefer manual brakes. If a fella can't push the brake pedal himself perhaps a chauffeur can be hired?

21. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

:eek: Once in a lifetime, I can understand. 3 times?! Whoa.

22. zzford

zzford

Good brakes aren't traditional.

23. Pulled off the interstate into a rest area at 70 MPH in my 56 Pontiac...hit the pedal and it went to the floor...began dropping gears in the hydro and pulled the park brake to get stopped...
    Found a rusted-through brake line had failed. Had to "massage" the rusty brake cable with a hammer to get it to let loose. Drove home on the park brake.

24. Invicta

Invicta

No shit? I never thought of that.......The emergency break. I will have to remember that. Its the pedal on the far left right?

25. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

the e brakes on all my vehicals are of the dual cable to the rear type and i always check the cables before anytrip longer than a 100 miles, once had a brake line blowout in my lifted 85 bronco, stomped the tiny e brake peddle and the cable snapped, still stopped me though, i had to use the muddy ditch to stop, worked great, sept it fubared my steering. lol

26. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

and yes i can see all my typos. i just hope you can to, and no.. i LIKE THEM, so im not fixin em, they add personality to the thread.

27. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I was coming off a drawbridge in a '67 Ford van on the downhill side to a red light at the first corner after the bridge, about a half block away. Cars sitting at the light so i start to slow down. Pedal goes to the floor and no pumping helped. I went through a quarter carwash on the corner and out onto the other street of the intersection. I was on my way to my workplace to pick up my paycheck...that went towards the new master cylinder I needed, but I had to drive to the parts house using the manual trans to slowdown. :)

28. Truckedup

Truckedup

That was my experience on a late model car,line went and no fuckin brakes at all.Actually there was very slight rear braking,less than the parking brake.Had a single master failure in a Chevy PU years ago but a working parking brake got me slowed down enough so I didn't ram anyone. Denise also told a story of brake failure on her Big Olds,dual master and no brakes?
    That being said,I have retro fitted several of my old Chevy trucks with dial master cylinders.

29. Excuse me sir but you are more full of Sh*t than a Christmas Turkey,happened to you with 3 different cars?

Are you BS'ing or do you not have a clue as to how to set up a brake system.done properly you will have a reservoir for both the front brakes and the rear,,if you have a catastrophic failure with both you did something wrong,,,3 times!

Believe me,I ain't one to call BS but if it sounds like it,it probably is. HRP

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  30. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have never had a dual master suddenly go out, they gave me plenty of warning. I have had a single master go out. rear brake line came apart at the union, lost it all. I ended up using the curb to save my sheet metal.