Register now to get rid of these ads!

No 2nd Gear......Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pushrod_mike, Apr 4, 2011.

1. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

Finally got to drive my roadster for the first time the other day and it was great with the exception of the tranny not wanting to stay in 2nd. I drove it with just 1st and 3rd all day. I know nothing about these ford 3 speed toploaders. It would go into 2nd sometimes if I held the shifter up for a while but when I let go it would pop out. Do I have to pull the tranny to fix that or can it just be adjusted in the car or??????? Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get it fixed before the carpet and stuff gets put in. Its down in Austin at Fat Lucky getting the interior so if anybody knows who I could get to fix it down there let me know if you don't mind.

2. Unless your shifter is way out of adjustment, you gotta get dirty....broken blocking ring or dog.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Plus excessive end play on the 2nd gear. If shifter adjustment is correct pull trans for internal repair.

4. alchemy

alchemy

There is no "shifter adjustment", unless it's just plain bent or worn. You will need to pull the trans and examine the syncros and end play of the mainshaft assembly.

Get the Mac VanPelt book, it's VERY helpful when working on these transmissions.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Give Lux at Crushproof a call. I'm betting he can fix you up. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]512.386.9889[/FONT]

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd take a good look at the shifter, the ball, the notch in the ball and the pin that fits into that notch. They can wear and prevent the gear from going all the way in. I had one that would not stay in second. I changed the top and all was well. It could be a bent shifter fork also. I fixed mine without pulling the trans. It sounds like something is loose if you can pick up on the shifter?