Register now to get rid of these ads!

NJ GUYS!!!!!!! My rear end is too big!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowandLow63, Jul 26, 2010.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

A friend needs to have a Ford 9" shortened a couple inches as well as the axles. He's kind of weighing his options right now. The reason he's leaning towards having it shortened is because he already has this rear and its got 31 spline Moser axles in it.

Anyone want to recommend a place to do it? He already has a call in to BBC in Linden.

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Moser will redo the axles and narrow the housing. Easy choice in my book. I've had this done and a bolt pattern redone good service.

Pat

3. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If the rear already has Moser axles why not have Moser do the rework. I've used them for years and your not going to find a better deal or more precise work that that done by Moser. Their turn around is fantastic. If I send axles out I've got them back and I'm putting them in the car a week or less later.

Frank

5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

It's not hard to narrow the housing,It's easy,I can do it..Send the axles to Moser with your rear dimensions..Most shops in NJ(I've worked at several),that's all that they will do and charge you for the service..

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Call Moser FIRST with your present dimensions and the ones you want.

You might do better by selling the one you have and narrowing another housing and axles.

I called. I ended up buying a Torino rear thanks to their advice. I never would have thought to look at a wide Torino rear to put under a 53 Studebaker but he told me he needed those axles to get the width that I wanted. I narrowed the housing and sent him the axles. They came back resplined and new bearings installed. Much cheaper than having custom axles made and quick service too.

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

If it's not too far I know a guy in Vineland that builds drag cars mostly, but he shortened and narrowed the '40 banjo for my dad's A. I'm sure he knows his way around a 9".

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Cool guys, thanks. Still in the planning stages at this point but I'll let him know to get ahold of Moser. Anyone have their contact info handy, or is Google my friend?

9. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

you no one really re splines axles send them back to moser and have the housing narrowed locally almost any shop can do it. to do it yourself you need a jig. ive done them before.

10. If it really is "only a couple of inches", all of the Moser axles I have ever had could be shortened a bit as the splines were cut extra long.