Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Nicson 3 carb side draft intake carb question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 22rdstrguy, May 25, 2021.

1. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

Oh the great and knowledgeable members.... a little help please... Did a search but couldn't find much on carb info. A friend has a Nicson intake manifold with the carbs. They are marked with 8810 B on the casting. Are these the 80BV10 carbs? 20170527_191038.jpg
    20170527_184647.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  2. carbking

carbking

3. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

Ok thanks Jon. Do you know if they the correct carbs that came with the Nicson manifold & carb set up from back in the day? If not is there any other info you have about them?

4. carbking

carbking

Nicson used both Zenith type 80BV10's and 82BV10's. Yours are 82BV10's. I have not seen a lot of the Nicsons, but most of the ones I have seen had the 8810's installed.

Kits (if needed) for either are available.

Have posted several times before, but maybe worth repeating:

Virtually all ORIGINAL carbs made in the USA prior to 1975 can be found on our website. Pick your favorite search engine, and enter this string:

[website] [carburetor make] [carburetor identification number] (without the brackets)

Your example:

thecarburetorshop.com Zenith 8810

Should take you to at least one page on our website. Now use the "find on this page" option on your browser with the carburetor identification number. Should take you to the exact application.

Jon

loudbang and Deuces like this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jon, what were these carburetors on stock. Nicson along with other just made manifolds and other aftermarket parts.
    I was aware Nicson made a side draft intake for the GMC 270/302 which used the Carter’s on the Corvette and turbo Corvair but not a Chevrolet 6.

6. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

Thank you very much again Jon. I searched your site but didn't see anything that matched. But I'll do the search the way you said. Getting dumber in my old age.

7. carbking

carbking

The 8810's (82BV10) were used by I.H.C. in the late 1930's, on a 6 cylinder truck, which may have been a C.O.E.

The 80BV10's were primarily used on late 1930's G.M.C. trucks which were C.O.E., and I.H.C. also used them on trucks.

I think there was an industrial air compressor that also used these.

There were early brass sidedraft carbs in the 1920's but not much other sidedrafts (USA, of course S.U.'s were sidedraft) until Carter brought out the YH for Nash in the early 1950's. The early brass sidedrafts, other than the Schebler D, and the various Ford T carbs, are quite scarce and in great demand.

Of course, there were the Rileys and the Flynns, but production of these was so low that they were always expensive.

A little before I started working on carbs (not much), so don't know for sure, but guessing when Nicson brought out the manifold, these carbs were available new at blow-out prices, due to very low original usage.

This happens occasionally, and if one can think outside the box, and repurpose an item, one can benefit.

Of course, Linkert made sidedraft carbs for HD, and there were a few small engine sidedrafts, but nothing else I remember automotive.

Jon.

8. carbking

carbking

What may have given you a problem is if you used 8810B instead of 8810. The letter following the number is an engineering status code, showing number of changes to the original design. It is normally omitted when quoting a carburetor number. Carter, Holley, Rochester, and Stromberg all used the same convention.

Jon.

9. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

Awsome information Jon. Thanks for clarifying all that it is very much appreciated.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know guy at Bonneville who used 3 S&S SuperG’s on Chevrolet 6 and hauled a**. Made a fuel system with great flow and low pressure. HD’s are kinda like Chev 6 shared port heads so it worked well. I’d thought of doing it on a street engine a few times. Carbs used in non traditional places have always intrigued me.

irishsteve, ottoman and 22rdstrguy like this.