Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Different setup but that's equally cool!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Don't lock the fast idle cams in random positions. Make sure they're all positioned such that they will allow for the lowest possible curb idle speed. With the idle speed screws backed out, the throttle plates should be completely closed. Next, slowly screw them back in until all clearance is removed and the throttle plates just begin to open. Then give them all maybe another quarter turn to give the carbs a similar starting point for setting your final idle speed adjustments.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I know and I didn't let that stop me.

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  4. Ok. Sounds good. We'll look at them again when we start setting them up. Thank you!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Could you please send me pics of how your cam and idle screws are set up. I'm trying to nail down exactly how it's supposed to work. Thanks!

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

my car is so close to the wall with another car blocking that I can't get in it to open the hood (winter storage) they need to bee rotated so the smallest step on the cam is where the idle speed screw hits it. should be real obvious. it looks in the pic above that yours is on backwards, the "tail" in front should be pointed up. here is a pic of one of my other cars w a 2gc
    85C0F662-5C69-4D67-A16B-64165F0C536A.jpeg

catdad49 and Johnny Gee like this.
  7. Ok. I'll look closer at mine and compare. Thank you!

loudbang likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Another way to look at it is heavy end down. Also on your photo @Nicholas Coe that notch that's up right now is a stop for cam to rest on at full warm up when working as engineered.

loudbang and ClayMart like this.
  9. Thanks. This is an early 2G with no choke setup so I'm try to know where to lock down the cam at idle. I think I understand what was previously said.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

In your photo above on this page there is what appears in size to be a 5/16 bolt (upper left of photo under air clean/scoop. That is where the choke shaft went before being modified.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Was the 2G a manual choke carb? Hopefully more knowledgeable people will let me know. I didn't think these had much of a set up choke at all.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

some were but the majority were automatic choke. someone removed the chokes from yours. you don't want or need chokes on a man a fre

13. Ok. I guess having 4 chokes would make a complicated situation more complicated here. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  14. sunbeam

sunbeam

After tuning one in the 60s some things to remember you have a system that is close to a IR manifold so need a carburetor that can match one cylinder cfm flow. A 461 head each intake port will flow 250 cfm so you have 4 cfm carbs. A 1000 cfm on a 327 with a regular intake is way to much where all cylinders would see that much. With carbs that close to the intake valve the throttle response is very quick. once set up they are reliable I wish I would have kept track of the jetting we used it was a Isky 505T camed 301 in a Devon sports car

Nicholas Coe, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  15. Ok. It definitely is a totally different setup than most. Thank you for your insight. I do love the look of it.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Should I change this distributor to a dual point? Is there really any benefit? I've considered changing to a modern distributor but my 1962 tachometer would need to be replaced. Any more opinions?

I tend to lean towards Moriarity's opinion that a points distributor would be just fine as long as it is properly maintained.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There is nothing wrong with those distributors. Calm down and work on one thing at a time or you will never know what fixed it....

18. Yes sir!
    I think it's my inexperience that leads me to question everything. Thanks for the support!
    We're reassembling and tuning tomorrow!

catdad49, loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  19. This morning we will start adding the carbs and linkage. Then on to tuning. Wish us luck! Many more questions are sure to follow. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Hopefully it will help someone else with a Man-a-Fre. vintage_pin_up_car__girl8.jpeg

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

I have a few Rochesters lying around, I could post some pictures of the choke cam and Moriarty’s washer suggestion in the morning if it will help you.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Sure! Anything is appreciated!

Thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  22. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Hey man, not trying to be an ass, but you need a uni-syn, I don't think you are versed well enuff to use the old hose technique. Personally I would divorce all the chokes, you can pump the gas pedal a few times in the winter. the carbs need to be the same, did you get the ignition problem fixed ? Set all the butterflies with a wire to the same spec....?

loudbang likes this.
  23. Yes Sir!
    We've got a Uni-Syn. The chokes has been removed. Hopefully today we will get the carbs on and working together. Thanks for the heads up.

loudbang likes this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

It looks like you have the washer thing figured out from the photo in post #121 but the cam is upside down. It goes like this; (not that it really matters because at this point it's just a stop) I would put a drop of LockTite on the threads too, if they come loose while you are out driving around it will shut the butterflies completely and it won't idle.
    IMG_2382.JPG

Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  25. Thank you. More problems. Carb in passanger rear is leaking massive fuel into engine. Found after hours trying to find an O ring for the thermostat housing. IMG_20200311_164619.jpeg IMG_20200311_164604.jpeg IMG_20200311_164657.jpeg IMG_20200311_164552.jpeg

26. What pressure are you running on the fuel to the carbs? Needle seat would be suspect in that offending carb. I ditched my OE seats on my 348 and replaced them with upgraded Grose pieces. Seemed to help a lot with 3 1/2 lbs of pressure (regulated) with a Holley unit.

27. Thanks for the reply. We cleaned up the carb and things got better. Right now we are going to begin tuning the carbs.... MVIMG_20200311_164540.jpeg IMG_20200311_173017.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  28. Here's our reassembly pics prior to tuning....

No leaks and all seems to be much better. No more blue or grey smoke. Just black smoke at idle and popping at speed. IMG_20200311_173022.jpeg IMG_20200311_191205.jpeg IMG_20200311_191226.jpeg IMG_20200311_191213.jpeg

29. alchemy

alchemy

Did John run clear yellow hoses? Prepare for folks telling you they are dangerous and will harden and crack. Replace with good rubber rated for modern fuels.

30. No. That's gasoline staining. They were added from chemical resist clear hoses. Should be able to last a very long time before they begin to decompose.

loudbang and nunattax like this.