Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. You are absolutely right!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What did he say about the block off plates???

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ They are "proprietary"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  4. He declined to offer any opinion regarding our past attempts to resolve the carburators' many issues. Tim did say that the Man A Fre system is very unique and that it requires each carburetor to be set up a very specific way that doesn't necessarily follow conventional logic. Hopefully he will share more specific details in the future.

5. Here's my mock up. Soon we'll get everything installed. I can't wait to fire it up again! PXL_20200926_121706178.jpeg PXL_20200926_121717179.jpeg

6. alchemy

alchemy

Now's the time to change out the fire-hazard plastic hoses. Are they getting hard yet?

7. They're still flexible. Unfortunately that's one of my favorite parts of the car. I keep a Halotron fire extinguisher with me at all times. Lets pray that I never need it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    chryslerfan55, rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Are the block off plates in it????

9. No. The Man A Fre system did not originally use them so they are absent. Tim has reset everything back to production specifications.

10. Looking forward to hearing it run. Certainly been an arduous journey to this point, I think we all want to see the car on the street and running the way it should. Sounds like you may be close.
    Is the fellow who did the carburetors this time going to assist with the install and final tune?

11. Absolutely. My only goal throughout this process was to make the car "happy". I was so naive! I am quite confident this time that things are different.

Tim has graciously offered to assist us with each step of setting up and tuning the system. He is very confident that it will be much easier now. Tim didn't blame or discount anyone who was a part of this process. He said that each of us were trying to chase symptoms in our own way based on our knowledge and experience.

Apparently, this system is the most difficult for those who are highly trained. It functions in such a unique and nontraditional way that it drives the best mechanical minds to insanity. Tim said it is so simple yet so peculiar that if not set up properly initially than it will drive the best mechanic nuts trying to chase and fix all the symptoms.

I'm praying that we've got it now!

Stay tuned for our start up on Wednesday.

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

13. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

I think you're about to find out why Milner had 'the bitchinest car in the valley'!

14. Thank you! I sure hope so....

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. I’m glad you are getting things ironed out. Now, if I just had Falfa’s 55 to race against you!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ You'll just wreck it. :p

'51 Norm, loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  17. Hahahahaha.... Y'all are crazy! It is about time to blow the dust off this garage ornament. 004.jpeg

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Yeah, well I'm not surprised, drivin' a field car!"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Pics didn't show up on my end....

Honestly, we all know who would have won in a real head's up fight! 5144-24.jpeg 5144-14.jpeg

20. Today is the day! I'm ready to turn the page. Come on Man A Fre, show us what you can do! flat%2C750x%2C075%2Cf-pad%2C750x1000%2Cf8f8f8.u3.jpeg

21. loudbang

loudbang

22. Slow but positive progress. We successfully installed 2 carbs and their linkage with no binding.

Minor linkage modifications were required to obtain the smooth linear movement as outlined by Tim.

That's it for today. Stay tuned. See you tomorrow! PXL_20200930_171823235.jpeg PXL_20200930_171804215.jpeg PXL_20200930_155324947.jpeg

23. dan griffin

dan griffin

Butterfield is having a parade this Saturday at 11 a.m. can you make it?

loudbang, Nicholas Coe and rbrewer like this.
  24. I sure wish I could. I'm going on a father & son trip with my dad and Elliott. Hopefully y'all will have another great parade.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice.

25. Not much hotrod time today. The boss wanted a "date" day. We'll get back to it tomorrow.

26. Wild guess, she insisted, didn’t she.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  27. loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Friday we finished assembling everything. We didn't have any time for tuning. The car ran extremely well but was still too rich. We have plenty of room to adjust mixture and timing. A good day.

We'll be back at it soon. PXL_20201002_153238687.jpeg PXL_20201002_153156597.jpeg

saltflats, loudbang, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  29. Tuning today. Adjusted idle mixture screws leaner by 1/2 turn each. No more smoke! Very excited.

We then found that the idle speed was fluctuating from 700 to about 850. Car seems to idle extremely well at 850. We made a quick linkage check and adjustment.

First drive. No smoke. Engine idles down too low and dies when stopping. Some hesitation with sudden acceleration.

Tomorrow we will check and adjust timing. We suspect that our mixture screws may also need opening up by an 1/8 turn.

I'm feeling very optimistic! PXL_20201006_155228012.jpeg

chryslerfan55, saltflats and loudbang like this.
  30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Nicholas Coe likes this.