Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nice Wife/Out of Control Model Collections?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Jun 18, 2011.

1. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I want to see how many of us have a very understanding wife and an out-of-control collection. I just might be that old coot down the road that collects but never does anything with it. You know, the "gonna built that one someday" guy. Just on a smaller scale.

I've been sorting my model collection and got to thinking about updating to this century. I started to catalog and sort it all to put in a database for insurance reasons (you know, with all the tornados, floods, fires, etc going around got me thinking). Just went thru a portion of unbuilt kits and stopped for a break. When I looked at the total I shit myself.

Big scale stuff = 30 kits
    Bikes = 6 kits
    Classic cars (48-62) = 49 kits
    Drag = 84 kits
    Circle track = 51 kits
    Street rods = 37 kits
    Muscle Cars (63 and up) = 73 kits
    Odd balls (show rods, salt flats, trailers, Cat dozer, etc) = 39

That's right at 368 kits, all unbuilt, with about 100 unopened. There's more I haven't sorted yet and doesn't coult built stuff on display. That doesn't count the full size stuff, memorabila, etc.

I just got to wondering if anyone else had this problem?
    SPark

2. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Yup, just not as many as you.

3. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

sell em.... buy more...

4. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I have an understanding wife! When the kids moved out.... I took over the largest bedroom to display my already built and diecast that I've collected. I haven't counted the unbuilt ones, but am sure there is 80 or more. Now I'm thinking I may never build them. Too Busy in the garage! :)

5. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I've got about 500 die cast cars mostly stored in plastic bins...very few on display...no room! Thinking of having a liquidation sale.

6. TxRat

TxRat

Yea, My wife loves me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just a few of my kits. I haven't been building much lately as I ve been having fun with the Nomad. I've got the Start to the surfers dragster on my bench now and have been looking get to it again...

7. My wife is understanding to a point. That point being, she does not know how much I really have! I'd say close to 800 model car kits. Not to mention a 22' X 50' basement sized HO train layout. Over 300 locomotives, 1000's of rail cars. Then add in books (automotive, train, Vietnam war etc), NASCAR collectables. Well you get the point. Also have a 11 second 90 Mustang and a 78 Mustang. I retired in NOV 2010. So I can be found in my office building model cars. Last year I started what I cal my "pre-estate estate sale". It's a matter of deciding what has most meaning to me. If I generate enough cash, I can build my 78 Mustang! Aaron Dupont

8. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

my wife loves my model car obsession..now that ive turned my model making into a business.. but my personal collection now stands at around 800 kits. i know guys that have way more than i do..

9. I have around 400 kits, with most completed. Had a break over last six months, due to the 1.1 30 model A in my garage.
    Oh yeah, and i dont have to worry about the wife part, cause im not married.
    Its winter down here now, so im using it for an excuse to finish my unfinished 1/8 scales.

10. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

well i am in the running with the few, i have over 800 model kits including 1/8 scale kits. then there is the diecast from 1/87 scale to 1/12 scale. then there is the hot wheels, from there is the books and the old collectables like rascing programs from the early 1930's along with the pit passes and ticket stubs and then chris ackonimackies speed and sport papers from issue one. and much more....

11. BadbeatFactory

BadbeatFactory

...admitting you have a problem is the first step.
    Wow, you guys are sick.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well if they are getting in her way and its adding to the stress in your relationship, you can just send em to me, im sure My wife will understand

13. rickairmedic

rickairmedic

LOL SWMBO knew I had a problem when we got together and has dealt with it pretty well for almost 17 years . When she stops dealing with it we will be taking a trip to the Hogg petting farm but only one of us will return :D.

Rick

14. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

You ever build any of those cars?

15. oldblue53

oldblue53

Not alot of kits for me. Have lots of die casts. Muscle Machines, West Coast Choppers, The little Harleys just about any small scale die cast car or bike that I think is cool looking I will buy. Still go to the toy section at every store I go into. Wife laughs at me and loves to tell the checkout lady, "No there not for the kids, these are all for him."

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I can see a new reality series now, Model Kit Hoarders. :D

17. fbama73

fbama73

Here's where it gets real fun. Figure how many kits you finish per year, and how many kits you have, then do the math to see how long you have to live to build them all.

And I'm as guilty as anyone on this.

18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

You're sick...but it's not so bad. Better to have
    one nice wife and an out of control model collection
    than to have only one nice model and a collection
    of out of control wives!!!:eek::eek::D

Mart3406
    ===========================

19. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Thousands of 1 / 64 diecast . HOT WHEELS . Lot of 1968 - 69 . Race sets , the whole nine yards. And yes , all for sale too.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

20. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

21. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! With twice as many.. :eek:

22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

She knew it when we married. It's lasted 32 years as of yesterday. She is starting to complain about the magazines a bit. Pretty much every car mag since the mid/late 60's have kind of taken over a complete walk-in closet. I forgot about the slot car stuff, that adds more. She's great.

I literally had my heart stopped and restarted yesterday to correct a timing problem and she offered to buy me a model (like my mom did when I was a kid) if I was a good boy at the hospital. I actually turned her down.

Problem is she wants to learn how to drive the '57 and when I get the unibody running she says we can each take our own truck places. This may go badly....

Isn't a sickness fun?
    SPark

23. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

i'd love to have that stone woods and cookie model...have every other stone woods and cook one...

24. mark 55

mark 55

I still don't understand. What's the problem?

25. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

gee, and I thought I had a problem with about 20 models unbuilt

26. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I used to have a 700 + model car collection.. I ended up trading the lot to get my old 54 Ford Crestline back...

27. Is it the shine of a nice new model or the smell of the glue ...hmmm.

28. dmikulec

dmikulec

I'm that way, but with records... two rooms full, including vintage stereo gear and open reel tape decks. My wife has been more than understanding, bless her.

I do have a couple dozen unbuilt car kits, and a sh!tload of old HO model train kits hidden away too. The train stuff really needs to go though.

29. dmikulec

dmikulec

:eek::eek::eek:

Nice!

30. Ricky B

Ricky B

I have a glue collection...........:D

I have 9 models & about 50 1/64 Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning & others cars.