Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nice rear end !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47streamliner, Jun 13, 2016.

1. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I have been offered a complete rear end and torque tube out of a running driving 53 210 / manual trans for free . I'm wanting use it in my 50 styleline to get the better / cheaper ( part wise ) brake setup .

Just making sure my info is correct ...the 210 rear end should be a direct swap , correct ?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Rcraft likes this.
  3. Seems it would be easier to just swap the brake parts onto your rearend, rather than swapping the whole torque tube and rearend assy.

4. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Hmm I guess I assumed the tube length would be the same ... I'll see if I can find that data some place

5. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

My understanding is that you Can't swap just brake parts unfortunately . In 51 they changed over to bendix brakes .

6. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

My mistake ... All apologies 38chevy454 - I called national Chevy and they said with a day + of work you can swap backing plate out from 53 to 50 rear end

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

They're riveted on, aren't they? I'd probably want to look at both rearends and see which one is in better condition, and also change seals and gaskets and inspect everything before making the swap.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Guessing your '50 is a 3 speed - if so, change the whole works. If Powerglide, change the brakes ...
    And try to get the steering box, master cylinder, & front suspension as well.

9. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I'll have to check the riveted thing hadn't looked for that . Both my 50 & the 53 are 3 speed cars .

Guys at national Chevy said if the 53 was a power glide car wrap it all because it would have better great gearing .

The master , and front brakes are being replaced with a dual bowl master and disc

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True there but if the gears in your rear end are good and run quiet I'd probably just swap brakes if the ratios were the same in both rear axles. It beats wrestling two rear axles with torque tubes attached under the car. One out and one in that is.

11. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

It seems the backing played might actually be riveted in place . Looking like I'll need to drill out the rivets and be sure to check the Rivet head clearance to try and find a bolt to replace them with

12. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

53 rear end is in my garage !

Yes the backing plates are riveted on both the 53 and my 50.

If anyone knows someone needing the rear end gears or axles let me know . I want to be sure this rear end gets used the best it can be