Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. How the frig did you get the decals?????? I would love to make a model of the In-Bomber but the lettering and rare stickers have kept me from doing it.
    -Dean

2. biscaynes

biscaynes

mark,
    here's a couple shots i took....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. janet

janet
    from USA

Thanks for the picture of the '65 Pontiac Jack. I was the original owner. When it was the "Maroon Pontiac" car, 3rd in Junior Stock Division 1 points. I think that you got the car from Charlie Troy.

4. capsgs

capsgs
    from Ohio

Dean, I made them on an Alps printer. I don't want to hyjack this thread, so if you have any questions just PM me.

Cap

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Wow, small (drag racing) world, Janet.

Speaking of maroon Pontiac Catalinas, my dad used to own a maroon w/painted white top--not vinyl--1966 Pontiac Catalina 4-dr. sedan. It was powered by a 389 cu. in. 2-bbl. V-8. The most unique part of this car was it had a 3-speed manual trans--and not on the floor either--it was on the steering column! It also had factory A/C and dog dish hubcaps.

I guess those options made it somewhat rare...no?

Pete

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  6. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

Maroon Pontiac from Wayne , NJ ?
    I used to work for Ray Maroon .

7. Janet - Here's a few more from the files -- hope they bring back a memory or two -- Jack

Attached Files:

8. janet

janet
    from USA

They sure do , Thanks jack.

9. janet

janet
    from USA

Pete, That was "Maroon Pontiac" ( they were still in Pompton Lakes at the time) the dealer, not the color. Ray Maroon and Joe Tuminello gave us the car.

10. colesy

colesy

Looks like we're riding a bit of a Pontiac wave at the moment so here's some photos from Super/Stock and Drag Illustrated (March/70) of John Thropp's and Fred Borcherdt's I/SA fuel injected 57. Just in case the fine print isn't readable, the car ran a best of 12.72 @ 109.75. The article also states that for 1970 the body will be junked in favor of a 57 Bonneville convertible in order to conform to the new rules.

Attached Files:

11. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

It was sold to a local car salesman here in Southern Maryland (I dont remember his name) or he lived right across the river in Alexandra Va. When I saw it (around 1971) at Manassas drag strip in Va. it didnt have the FI unit on it and ran a 4 barrel carb. It might have been a different engine all together as it was a "Slug". So it was NOT junked. The car itself was very nice. Never saw it again after that.

12. Janet -- I don't have a clue as to how you fit into the picture - I barely remember the guys I got the Catalina from and I'm sure there wasn't a woman involved .Fill me in .........Jack

PS-- Just came thru the Pompton Lakes area over the Fourth on my way back from Lebanon Valley .

13. farm1810

farm1810

Colesy,
    Thank you for posting the Thropp / Borcherdt information. I was a teenage boy when I went to work for Fred Borcherdt. I knew this car, and others. I was the youngest in my family, as my Dad chose to divorce my mother leaving Fred and his couple of mechanics at the garage as my surrogate family. A Fred comment from the time,
    " Kid, imagination is more important than formal education". That may sound harsh today, but he was right. More than anything else, Fred taught me to the power of imagination, ingenuity, and having the courage to roll up your sleeves and just going to do something. Fred didn't just understand cars, he understood the underlying theories of how components worked. He was a natural coach, "Why do you think they put an in line resister in the wire going to the generator light?". I would always get sucked in trying to solve the problem, with it being years later before I realized that he knew the answer, but was leading me down a path where I developed the intuition and joy of discovery. I hope others who were young people who had the opportunity to learn from the legends mentioned in this thread had a similar, life changing experience. Thank you Fred.

14. It's all starting to come together -- your husband did drive that car in Cayuga , Ontario , Canada because I got myself burned pretty good during time trials and had to spend some time in the hospital near Toronto .Sorry I didn't remember you but I still don't as those days are a bit fuzzy at best . Jack

PS - As I remember he went some rounds that day in my absence .

15. colesy

colesy

Here's some more on Fred Borcherdt from S/S & D.I. magazine, January 1971.

Attached Files:

• fb1.jpg
      fb1.jpg
      File size:
      145.2 KB
      Views:
    • fb2.jpg
      fb2.jpg
      File size:
      139 KB
      Views:
    • fb3.jpg
      fb3.jpg
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
    • fb4.jpg
      fb4.jpg
      File size:
      139.8 KB
      Views:
    • fb5.jpg
      fb5.jpg
      File size:
      140.6 KB
      Views:
    • fb6.jpg
      fb6.jpg
      File size:
      111.3 KB
      Views:
    • fb7.jpg
      fb7.jpg
      File size:
      93.6 KB
      Views:
  16. colesy

colesy

Fred Borcherdt Part Two.

Attached Files:

• fb8.jpg
      fb8.jpg
      File size:
      106.7 KB
      Views:
    • fb9.jpg
      fb9.jpg
      File size:
      111.5 KB
      Views:
    • fb10.jpg
      fb10.jpg
      File size:
      147.1 KB
      Views:
    • fb11.jpg
      fb11.jpg
      File size:
      101 KB
      Views:
    • fb12.jpg
      fb12.jpg
      File size:
      72.3 KB
      Views:
    • fb13.jpg
      fb13.jpg
      File size:
      94.4 KB
      Views:
    • fb15.jpg
      fb15.jpg
      File size:
      69.8 KB
      Views:
  17. farm1810

farm1810

Thank you again Colesy. Does anyone have a picture of Fred Borcherdt's late 40's International truck? When he first put it together with Pontiac power and the hydro, he ran it with the utility bed still on it (it was a former Bell Telephone truck as I recall). Later, he put a pick up bed on it, had it painted, etc.

18. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gas tank out,exhaust off,pressure washed, almost ready.

and the new spacers. Many thanks to talented friend!

:)

:cool:

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Nice to see it out of the garage! "Almost Ready", mines been in the garage since 92, and I have everything to put it together. But, I've been putting so much time and money into the 51 Business Coupe lately, the delivery's on the back burner, again. Once the 51 is running, the nephew will be helping out with the delivery; the 51 is mine, but will become his. Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Scotty,

I talked with Little George at York last weekend. He seemed to be impressed with the condition of the delivery and pleased with the restoration.

You could have the "Crown Jewel" of next year's show!

21. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Lol butch I WISH it was that kind of ready!Only since 92? thats what it's looked like for 30 years! it's almost ready to go BACK in the building so the frame can come out from underneath it! She needs some work as some that was done was not quite what i want her to be!
    I don't want people thinking i put lipstick on a pig or polished a turd!Nor do i want people "beating me about the head" for some "things" as they are now!

Inner and outer rockers, just a touch of the floor to the rockers,1/4 lower fronts and the brows and inner brows on the fenders are TOTALLY in order. and both sides need outer seat supports(under the floor) and the rear body supports that go out to the 1/4 rocker have been fixed but look poopy so i'll fix it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  22. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Did you tell him to get on here? Bob rice and i have been working on that!

Getting back to work/new job would be helpfull in finishing.the economic downturn has given me time,but money ROFL!Things here are tough,but i will try like hell to get this done just for that reason.

Some things may not be exactly "as they were" but i am tryin!

23. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is some action from the 1971 Supernationals at Ontario Ca.

Attached Files:

24. colesy

colesy

Some Gene Brown photos. The 1st, 3rd & 4th are from Hot Rod magazine's 1969 Winter meet at Riverside. I believe this was Brown's first big event win. Runner-up was Larry Walker in his 57 Ford.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  25. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is seldom seen picture of Val Hedworth's R Stock 55 Chevy 4 door

Attached Files:

26. ScottV

ScottV

I stumpled upon this thread and have spent the last couple of hours going through it in hopes to find a pic or some info on my Uncle Johnnie's car.

I grew up in Trenton, NJ and he was actually my fathers's uncle (my great uncle) I think he lived just over the river in Langhorne, PA (can't get a hold of my Dad to find out) I don't remember alot about him. I know he was a Veteran that had been shot during the war. And I remember some things about his car. My Dad helped me with some of the things that he remembered about it. Maybe someone here remembers or may even have photos.

It was a '56 Buick Century or Special 2 door Sedan. It was all white with a blue interior and had white or blue painted wheels, later on it had chrome reverse wheels then Cragar S/S's apparently he switched back and forth on them alot. I do remember it having both I/SA and H/SA on it at different time. The biggest thing I remember and possibly the one thing that would make it stand out the most was on the doors it had the name "MOBY" with a white whale and the whales tail was actually the "Y" in the name.

Does this actually ring a bell with anyone ???

Thanks, ScottV

27. Tony, We're still looking for that list /chronology of Hedworth cars.

28. colesy

colesy

Here's the class results from the 1970 Winternationals with Hedworth's R/Stocker.

Attached Files:

29. colesy

colesy

Yes, this rings a bell and there's a color photo of the car out there somewhere because I've seen it. Hey Bob Rice, do you have this photo in your Holmes or Cureton collection? I know someone has a copy somewhere. Stick around Scott, it's bound to surface and welcome to the group!

30. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Thanks for posting that one, it brings back a lot of memories. This is the event that took my friends on an adventure. Tony Pizzi and Brad Watkins won class and I think Jay Wheatley won SS/D as well. They stopped in Phoenix on the way out to Pomona for the AHRA Winter Nationals where Jay won GT-1 against Gary Kimball. That is where Jay got hooked up with some Hollywood types and wound up with the job as Technical Director for the movie TWO LANE BLACKTOP.

Jay was driving their ramp truck with the Camaro Super Stocker and towing a trailer with the N/SA Sedan Delivery. While near Pomona, he was at a traffic light next to Ma & Pa Hoover towing Tom's fueler. When the light turned green a speed contest took place and both driver wound up getting "Performance Awards" from the police.

One the way home, Tony and Brad wanted to visit Mexico and drove across the boarder. When the tried to cross back into the States, the Mexican Police asked where they got the race cars. They were told that the cars were on the trucks when the came into the country and the police then asked to see titles. An arguement ensued and a young man who worked for Tony took a swing at an officer. The whole gang spend some time under lock and key before it was straightened out.

I can't remember what I did yesterday, but this stuff will stay in my memory forever!

Attached Files: