Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome, Dave. Twas no easy nor quick feat. :)

It's a good chance this is Dave's old car. Did ya notice the name on the car? It says: Beat The Clock. That's just one thing I love so much about that era, unlike those post-era years, all the cool, creative, and borrowed names from songs, movies, etc. as well as the paint and lettering.

Beat the Clock is a Goodson-Todman Productions game show which ran on CBS from 1950-1958 and ABC from 1958-1961, with later revivals. The show was hosted by Bud Collyer. Beat the Clock ran again from 1969-1974 with Jack Narz and later Gene Wood (who was the original announcer for the show and who traded positions with Narz in 1972) (as The New Beat the Clock)...

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/HEhddNY0OJ8&hl=en&fs=1& allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

After watching this clip, I am reminded what the main reason was this (then) young teen used to watch this show. Can you say: gams? :D

Pete

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Jack,

There is no "Official" place to gather. Dave Bishop suggested that we stop by his EAST COAST DRAG NEWS display. He is a Jr. Stock lover and has many old photos on display and for sale. I will be there and will have a slide show running.

3. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

if he has any pics of mine different from what we've seen lemmie know plz?

4. coolride56

coolride56
    from Tennessee

Being a car-crazy, Mopar fan back then (still am), I especially enjoyed your E/MP 340 Duster build-up series.*

Pete :)

*Whatever happened to that car?

Thanks, Pete; If memory serves me correctly, as the new Duster was being finished, I sold the original car to a young fellow in Oregon, sans engine and 4-speed, which were used in the new car for a comparative baseline. I never did hear much of the original Duster from that point on. John

5. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

about 8-10 years ago when Goodguys was still stageing an event at pomona Iwas talking to a guy in the pits about his duster (I at the time was building one of severaral dusters I had owned) and he told me that he was told it was the ex dianna duster, but he was not sure, because he never knew of the magazine build or articles,I sent him the copyed mag. articles and after he read the articles he was preetty sure that he had the car. I cant remember his name but I do remember him living in central Ca.

6. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's a few images from the (now in progress) York US 30 Reunion. Very nice event, but alas, not much (if any) 'Junior Stock Era' representation.

Maybe next year ...

Attached Files:

7. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

... and a couple more (York event) images.

Attached Files:

8. circlehill

circlehill
    from Selmer,Tn

I tried to post but didn"t get anything Check out HOTROD July '09 Bill

9. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

You are correct Chuck. Larry Lombardo won Stock eliminator in a 1961 Corvette at the 1968 Indy Nationals.

A review of my NHRA rulebooks, which start in 1961, show there were seperate classes for Stock Sports Cars through 1969. I also found the following statement under Stock Car Classes from 1964-69....."reserved for American factory-production automobiles and some foreign and domestic sports cars." What confused the matter was the rulebooks from 1966-69 listed Stock Sports Cars in Street Eliminator. So how did Lombardo win Stock Eliminator in 1968?

10. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I know this is a Junior Stock forum but how about a 55 Chevy leading S/S qualifying in Denver after two rounds

11. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is a better picture of the Janitor sedan delivery with the class readable on the side of the car.

Attached Files:

12. 442Mike

442Mike

These are some ass-kicking photos Tony!! Any information on the first two pics with your name on the car? Were you racing it?

13. Steve , If you see this while you're there, could you call me? I need some info on that A/FX Tempest.
    Thanks, Mark

602-769-0346
    [email protected]

14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

Yes, that car is interesting Mark ... sorry I didn't take more/better pictures of it. Alas, I got there when it opened (Friday) and stayed less than an hour. I missed him, but Tom Mc Crea (TMcCrea) is supposed to be there both days (with his notebook computer) so you might PM him, or perhaps he'll read this and give you a ring.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4103967", true); </SCRIPT>

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks, John!

Regards,

Pete

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the cool pix, Steve; I especially like the Union Park Pontiac posted above. I was unable to attend the event. At least you guys are having fun!

All the best,

Pete

17. I've got a few of these pics around from my old rides.........

I'm in the '60 Delivery -- Jenkins 348 / 320 H.P. w / B&M Hydro

Attached Files:

18. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Welcome to the 'party' Jack! And thanks for posting the image. As you know, there were not very-many 348 Sedan Delivery Junior Stockers built ... what year was that? And what times did it run? Oh! ... and who was in the other lane?

19. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Here's an off the wall question for you '57 Chevy Junior Stocker guys. For some reason it popped in my mind that 265s were still available in '57s. Wondered if anyone ran one with any success, or ran one at all for that matter. Here are the specs I pulled off a google search.

Lee

<CENTER>Engine - Transmission Specifications and Availability for 1957 </CENTER>V-8 265ci, 3.75X3.00 bore/stroke, 8.0:1 comp ratio, 162 HP@4400 rpm, 2bl carb
    3 speed transmission, 3 speed overdrive transmission

20. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Tom Neja

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  21. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

The picture were taken at Fremont either in 1971 or 1972. The car belong to John Farris at that time and he had never taken my name off the car.

22. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Steve,good point. I saw a lone 55 there with Stocker designation but that was about it. If all goes right maybe 2010 will be the Junior Stock year at York..........

23. 442Mike

442Mike

Thanks for the info Tony, and of the cool pictures!!

24. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Welcome to the forum, Jack. Yes, please post those pix! I remember the 1973/74 Pontiac (Ventura) GTO you used to run in Stock back in the early-mid 1970s at Englishtown. Of course, I've seen your other cars over the years, but this is the car that instantly comes to mind when your name pops up.

Speaking of Pontiac Ventura/GTOs, where the heck is Al Vanis? Last I talked to him was at a car show in Freehold was in the late 1990's. Last I seen him run his car (ex-John Rodnite Pontiac) was in the very early 2000's.

Pete

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  25. colesy

colesy

WOW!!! I've been on vacation this past week and look what happens! First off, a Great Big welcome to all the new folks who've come aboard. It sure is great to have you here! Thanks to Tony Janes and Bob Rice for coming-up with all these new/never before seen photos. The photos and stories are what make this whole thing tick and it just keeps getting better & better!
    Hey Jack Matyas, could you please post some photos of your 65 Catalina? It had to be one of the more unique Stockers out there and John Dianna, first off thanks so much joining us here at our 2009 attemp to re-live the golden years of Junior/Stock racing. Could you please tell us the story of rolling the 56 wagon prior to Indy 67?
    Who'd of thought that back 165 pages or so that this thread would have evolved to where we are now. Once again, many thanks to everyone who has participated so far.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  26. capsgs

capsgs
    from Ohio

Just a quick pic and a big thank you to all that helped me with these decals. It's not quite done yet, but I'll post a finished shot when it is

[​IMG]

27. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Man, that model of Frankie's old car is COOL!

Regards,

Pete

28. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is a little action from the 1962 Winternationals. The 1958 Chevy Impala does not list a driver but i believe it is Ron Whitney. The rest is self explanatory.

Attached Files:

29. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

What are you going to do with the '57 when you finish it ? If you need any other info about the car PM me. Thanks

30. Here are a few more from the "Chieftain" files...............The first pic shows Chieftain 2 were we as the song goes -- "took her out to Pomona" and qualified on the pole - the only GTO to ever do that .The second photo shows the original Chieftain -- 65 Catalina convert at Island Dragway -- the year ? Maybe 71 or 72...............

Attached Files: