Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. goodwrench 1957

goodwrench 1957

Someone surely has some pics, lots of nice cars at York and Beaver Springs.

2. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Probably a good thing for the rest of the racers, right Mark? He was/is tough enough just with ordinary parts.

3. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I remember seeing the 62 Plymouth in a magazine in the early 70s, and I was stunned. It looked so wild at the time.I have a 62 fury now and think about setting it up for a class that doesn't exist anymore. I bought a cheater cam from a guy that worked for Dan Dvorak in Florida, to that end, had a guy name of Charles Black build the torqueflite with a bolt in sprag and other goodies. 383 343 horse was the combo that they won class in back then.

4. OldColt

OldColt

Good technical explanation. I once tried a 3000 lb pressure plate back in the day, but et's slowed down. Too much shock to the class limited tires, and slower "leg time" on and off the clutch petal. Went back to a "soft" setup, and accepted the very short clutch disc life. I'm assuming the clutch materials are much more durable than they were 40+ years ago, and it ain't that big of a deal anymore.

--- Steve ---

5. Yes they are. Although I love the sound of semi slow rev up and return of the old heavier stuff, heavier than need is only good for breaking stuff. As an aside, I know severa Stock/Super Stock cars with small stroke engine combo's (265-283 Chevy/273 Mopar etc.)that do require some weight in the assembly to run best. No matter how high they leave or calm down the "hit" in the chassis, some of the smaller stroke/less torque combo's need the inertia.

6. we use to run a heavy flywheel a stock pressure plate and a solid disc with a sprung hub in the late 60's and early 70's it worked in most of the lower power classes except in pintos in the u-v-w/stock classes

7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

^^^^^^^^^ GREAT pictures!

9. Ramblur

Ramblur

^^^^ Most definitely. Thanks!

10. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

pictures are great,there is still nothing like being there.met a lot of great people and a lot of good memories resurfaced.was well worth the trip.

11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I'll second the being there. If hearing the McMasters & Gunning car did'nt put a grin on your face nothing will.
    Hopefully next year we'll see these two lined up on the track instead of the parking lot.
    [​IMG]

quick85 likes this.
  12. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

now i see why the 57 of mcmasters&gunning was so quick, the weight on the front end was reduced by removal of the trim and bullets on hood. wonder if this was a problem going tru tech?

13. OldColt

OldColt

Wow, great looking bunch of old stockers. Always loved seeing the small block ones embarrass the big block muscle cars entered into Stock Eliminator that were just showroom stock.

--- Steve ---

14. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

I agree with that!!!! That Mcmasters & Gunning car did put a grin on my face. There's a pretty good possibility these two cars above may just see that chance to run each other next year. York next year is a GM tribute I read. If there are other Junior Stockers real or cloned out there hopefully they will come out of the woodwork . More show every Year. Hopefully there are more being worked on like the Gunning / McMasters car . To see that car enter the building under its own power was a cool moment!!

15. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

The challenge has been made and we'll be ready.

16. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Couldn't have made it without the encouragement and parts from a great bunch of guys. You all know who you are.

17. I'm up for a trip if I can find a mostly "junior stock" drag race event without having a bunch of bogus so called nostalgia cars being in the mix. Call out the time and the place and I'll try to make it.

18. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

<P>Hi It looks like the M&amp;H 7.75/8.00-15 vintage slicks are not going to be available for some time. So I am wondering if any one knows if the 9.00/15 will fit in a stock wheel opening Thank You Keith</P>

19. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

There is about 50 weeks left before York 2014 next year. I know there are at least 2 more Sedan Deliveries for instance that didn't make or didn't care to make the York show. But they are both race ready Junior Stocker cars. That means there has to be more Junior Stockers lurking out there. If your sitting on a possible Junior Stocker or built a careful clone, please let us know. it DOES matter......the Gunning Brothers, The Hustlin Hoosier and others are back. Come on and be a part of Junior Stock as it was.
    Keith and Larry. How about 2014???? It matters.... Thank you

20. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

I'm am hopeful that the Jolly Green Giant 57 wagon surfaces shortly........sitting on the Pea Picker to boot!!!!!!

21. Tom 57 150

Tom 57 150

"Attention in the pits!" I fully expect there to be enough Jr Stockers at the York Reunion 2014 to run off a Jr Stock Eliminator at Beaver Springs on that Sunday. I will not have a car there, but I have plans to attend "if the Good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise!" Come on guys, it is a return to the good old days.

22. goodwrench 1957

goodwrench 1957

Bowling Green would be a good warm up, at least lining the.m up in the memory lane area, and having our own cackle set. Maybe some of the east coasters will come to the Midwest?

23. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Its good to see this once thriving thread has gotten a new lease on life.
    I first spoke with Ken Gunning a couple years ago when writing a book about the Junior Stock days. I included a brief bio on the Gunning Brothers in the book and of course the whereabouts of the Jolly Green Giant came up in conversation. Ken lost track of it years ago but recently, with the help of Paul Dilcher we've discovered that the car went to AZ in 1983 or 1984. We'll keep searching as it would be nice to find out where it went from there.
    And the whereabouts of the Pea Picker????

Doug

24. 57maddman

57maddman

Keih,
    I just put new 9" slicks on the back of Sir Nomad with 6" Cragars. I could not find a nice used pair of standard offset 7" Cragars so I had to use the 6" that I had. The 9" slicks are M/T's only because that's what the supplier had in stock. It had an old set of race masters on it that I took off. Those were also 9"X 28" they both fit fine with my stock wheel well opening. Hope this helps. Maddman

25. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Kyle had 9.00's on The Hustlin Hoosier when I bought it.They are mounted on stock wheels I replaced them with the M&H 9.oo's on 6 inch Cragars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Hey Keith. It is Larry from NJ. I have 9:00 x 15 tires on my delivery. They should fit yours. They are close but have no rubbing issues. Need the correct wheel offset. Stock 5-/12" wide wheels should work fine.
    I use the old skinny Cragar SS wheels in the back. 4 or 4-1/2" wide. I was told by Lew from Law Automotive that is what they used on their cars. It gave them a better tire contact pattern on the ground than a wider wheel. Not sure if you are racing or showing. I can run 26-1/2 pounds of air in the back tires and can still get the car to hook with the glide and a 4500 converter. Got to go to talk to Al next about the next year York show.

Still here and kicking.

27. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Hey Al. Larry is still alive and kicking. Sorry not been out much. Same old story to much to do and no time. Yes I would really like to do the York Reunion and race at Beaver in the Jr Stockers. I was at the Reunion race at Beaver a couple years ago and I was rather surprised to see what Beaver Bob considered a Jr Stocker. Sorry got disenchanted with what got thrown into Jr Stock. I would love to run with real true vintage type Jr Stockers. After all I had a vintage Jr Stocker since 1978. Can anyone else say that? Too many cars and too little time. Once I get some things sorted out some of my cars may be for sale.
    Hope to see ya all at the track. Not good at managing this thread. Sorry if I screwed up.

28. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

Hi First thanks Tim Larry & 57 Maddman. Tim any thing new with the decal we talked about? I ordered a set of tires today. Al York has been on the same weekend as the Good Gays in Columbus and I go there with but I will think about a change next year. Keith

29. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Larry, I knew you were alive and well Buddy, been following your pictures everywhere online. Glad your alive and well and yes, your another " real deal" car as we discussed a while back at Island. Thank you for recognizing the call out was to you!! Stay in touch, you won't be lobbed in with so called Junior Stockers. We're working towards Junior stockers running Junior Stockers. Last time out you spanked me at the tree and the finish line so I'm hopeful to at least see your car closer this time out as it freight trains past!!! Thanks again for the post....

30. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Keith, glad you are checking this site like Larry and the group. There was a guy at York specifically looking for you this year but didn't offer his name so I didn't pry. Your car is awesome, the pictures I have are at some other show and it is a sharp piece!!
    Thanks for the note back, I know you have the Super Stocker as well and you are busy . Here's hoping you can hit it next year. There will be far less pressure and far more fun hanging with us!!! We are hoping to clog one side of the Hall with Stockers , any Stockers ,all Junior Stockers and were not calling out to only Tri fives Chevy cars. The callout is to any and all cars cloned or not. It may not be 1969 but there's no reason we can't make a weekend that looks like it ..... Thanks for the note!!!!