Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I do!!! However, after the front wheels come back to earth (literally) it dies. We haven't been back to test anything yet, but I'm really thinking it is a fuel related issue. Honestly, I leave around 5grand and it hits pretty hard---feels REAl good. After the last dry hop (agian at 5 grand carrying the wheels, it will damn near stall---it has stalled----when it stays running I have to "feather" it back to life. I've been "granny" shifring at 5 grand and at each shift there is no lag like on the launch. Until I am really comfortable and confident (and get a rev-limiter) I'm not gonna flat-shift (unless one of you guys will give me your bottom-less checkbook). By thw way AGTW31 (Andy isn't it?) Have you noticed the Smothers Brother's car on your avatar has a '69 front end and '68 doors?

2. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

From the sound of it the problem it is either the air valve spring tension or the fuel vent on top of the carb is to short or both. It dosent sound like fuel pressure or volume. I have run Q Jets on my 69 Vette stocker with 4:88 gears and a stick, my 68 SS/IA Camaro w/PG and 5:86 gears and a light wt 350 powered bracket car with a P/G that also used Q Jets that I built. There are some other "Tricks" that can be done inside but your problem sounds like one of the two I just mentioned. Dont over tighten the air flap sping or you will damage it. There is a Q Jet book out that will set you straight like the Holley book. Other wise get someone near you who really knows Q Jets and let him set it up for you. Danny Ashley is one of the best now that John Lengenfelter has passed away. I would do it for you if I still lived in Maryland but Im a thousand miles away now . First get an allen wrench that fits the set screw under the air valve spring area and a small flat screw driver to tighten and losen the spring and make low gear blasts and tighten the spring a 1/4 turn at a time until the bog goes away. Then losen the spring a little at a time until a slight bog comes back. Tighten it back about an 1/8 th turn and thats it. From slack no tention but the flap just closed it should be approx 3/4 turn on the screw on the side in most cases. Make sure the gas vent is extended with a piece of gas hose approx 3 inches long. If you can borrow a low tension gage check the tension of the air flap when you have it set where you need it and write the number down and save it someplace in case you want to build another Q Jet or mess up the one you have as a starting point. Each car combo will be different so it will take some testing. Hope this helps. Its though to try to explain how to do this by just typing.
    P.S. The 2:20 low gear trans works well with the 7 inch slicks. Its what I used in my Vette. If you go to a 9 inch tire you might want the 2:52 low gear but the gear spread isnt as good. Back in the day you could get a 2:36 low gear with a better gear spread from Stahl but I dont think they are avaliable anymore since most use the Jerico in stock today.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Something for the ford gang....[​IMG]

4. Could you guys reference the original page/ post number when you respond to these old postings?
    Thank you

5. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Thanks X-Tech, I will certainly try the two possible fixes. They sound like what could be the cure. As for the trans.---I should've listened to my friend who did the rebuild. He suggested the 252 as he knew I had 9" tires, but I told him to "do it stock"---my mistake. I thought of trying 7" tires and still haven't ruled it out. Maybe I'll mount up a set of 7" MH on some 7" Cragars I have laying around. Thanks again. Until next time..... Dave.

6. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Re post picture-9845:nate cohen from new jersey... Nazy crate-shalom baby!!-r.i.p nate.

7. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

HAY....BOB PAGANO AND CHUCK NORTON,PIX OF THE (JR.) STOCK 68 VETTE 327 CAR AT NUMIDIA LAST SEASON-WILL UPDATE THIS SEASON SOOOON!BOBBY YOU ARE RIGHT...TIME IS TIGHT!:rolleyes:(FOUND ON A 69 VETTE SS CAR) DAVE THOMAS??
    PUT CRAGARS ON IT LOOK LIKE DOG GONE VETTE???:)

Attached Files:

8. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Rocco,

Not sure if a photo of 'Big John Benson's Pontiac is on this site.
    It was a white 61' Pontiac (bubble top) hardtop.
    'Big John' was from Katonah, New York
    Raced at Dover Drag Strip and New York National Speedway.

His car was featured at the 1969 New York Coliseum Rod & Custom Show.
    I'm pretty sure it was a 389/318 HP w/'3' deuces.

It was lettered 'Tin Indian II'
    May have been prepped by Nunzi's in Brooklyn.

If I recall, in 1968 it was dialed in right around 13.05's
    on a 12.85 National Record.

Classed;
    65' = D/S
    66' = E/S
    67' = D/S
    68' = H/S
    69 = I/S
    70' = J/S

pc (It is not the same car on page 101)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  9. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Another header manufacturer, Casler as seen on the front fender of the Tim Richards driven Competition Torqueflite car. There was a mention of Tim a few pages back, not a great picture but probably better than nothing.[​IMG]

10. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Once again Pete, thanks! [​IMG]

11. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

What da hey! :eek:

Now I gotta buy a monster monitor? These pics dont fit on my screen.

not good :(

12. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:DOkay, here's the smaller size......

Attached Files:

13. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Bless your heart Islandworker.

Your a good citizen ;)

Eddie

14. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hey man, youi're welcome. This Chevy is representative of that 'cool' look, for lack of a better term, from drag racing's, and not coincidentally, Detroit's best era too as far as I'm concerned.

Later,

Pete

15. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

FYI for all you pontiac guys or friends of poncho guys HUGE AUCTION of poncho's AND parts engines tranny's ect!

sat june 25th 2011 harrissville pa 16038

log on to auctionzip.com to view photo's use auction id# 1361

16. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:I re sized this for a 15" monitor which I hope covers everybody. Let me know if you still have trouble seeing the whole picture. Don't forget to look for the slide bar at the bottom....Looks to me as if this is a keeper.[​IMG]

17. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I think the 1028 x 768 size (for 17" monitor) would be a better compromise. My monitor is a 20" version so the photo appears medium size to me.

Pete

P.S. Another cool photo! Thanks.

P.P.S. Was Weed Chevrolet a real Chevy dealer or was it the owner's way of saying he was part of the "in crowd", i.e., a "head?" :)

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That 56 is the perfect jr/stock car! I can't stop looking at it.

19. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:17" re size. There was a real Weed Chevrolet in Bristol Pa. Pete which is where I believe this car was from (at least the area). Standard Auto Parts was also in Bristol, PA.[​IMG]

20. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

One for the header group,,,

Tyree Headers

21. 5w32

5w32

there was Mallory Chevrolet in Weed, Calif.

22. 5w32

5w32

ftl

Attached Files:

23. c57heaven

c57heaven

Looks like the same car... Same only different...[​IMG]

24. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Islandworker, this pic size and the 17" are good for me, but you should post whatever size you want. The real large ones are too big for my screen but that is not your problem. Trust me - I just appreciate you and others taking the time to post these classic pictures. I was just having fun with you in my previous post:). Heck, I feel like I know you guys. BTW, my wife and I don't even own a cell phone:eek: so I don't expect this old this old hand-me-down PC to handle the larger pics. Thank you again - and if you or Pete or anyone else get tired of my "Thank yous" for all your picture-post's just say "GET LOST CREEP" ....I can take it;).
    Eddie

25. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

The 1024 x 768 resolution is a good compromise. Don't worry, Eddie, I nor anyone else here will tire of your "thank you's." It's nice to know someone is out there in the audience. :)

Thanks for the Weed Chevrolet info. I'm sure back in those halcyon and trippy daze of the 1960s-early-1970s, the Weed Chevrolet name was the source of an inside joke to more than a few gear and non-gear 'heads.' :)

Best regards,

Pete

26. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

;)Eddie, it's no fun to post if everyone who visits can't get a clear picture. I've got a big monitor too and wasn't aware of the size difference on the older screens. Just happy you can see the whole car now. Pete, Weed Chevrolet reminds me of Bill Crowley's (sp) Crow's Head Shop. One of the few that didn't sell black lights and water pipes.
    Dave:eek:

27. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Now there's a license plate frame!

28. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Hooker the headers with TLC from 68 or 69[​IMG]

29. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Yup Eddie ---That'd be Me behind the car -- 43 years after this below pic:

Attached Files:

30. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Dave -- The Smothers Bros car in Andy's avatar IS a 1968 car with a 69 front end. The debuted the program in 68 and decided to do the racing program for 69 so they put the 69 clip on the car to make it look like the rest of the other 5 cars in the 69 racing program! There are pics out there of this car with the 68 front too. I believe the pix at the 68 US Nationals have the car with 68 front?