Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. A little light "housekeeping":

The 60 Pontiacs should have used the cast iron 4 speed Hydramatic, as did the 61-64 Bonnevilles and Star Chiefs. The 61-64 Cat, Ventura, and GP used the "Slim Jim" Roto-Hydramatic.

The 63 swiss cheese 421 Catalinas were 2x4 equipped as well.

2. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Hummmm....Thats interesting. The C/SA I mentioned was owned by Sam Smauels and the one I tried to buy back in 1965. Johnny Walker ended up with it and set the NASCAR record at Capitol raceway in 1966 after I went into the Army. It was a "slim Jim" as I helped change it a couple of times as it was unreliable as some said and it blew some seals or just broke on occasion. It may have been changed later??? The other neighbor was Joe Perzan with the "Big Bruiser" Catalina wagon and it had the 4 speed hydro along with Bob Maxeys wagon. Its possable he just got away with it.....LOL. Sort of like the Ford C-6 vs the C-4 in Bill Hawks 71 Mustabg before NHRA threw in the towel and allowed the lighter tranmissions in all of the stockers several years ago. I remember Mike Miaticos 61 SD wagon and Ventura had a "slim Jim" in both. I didnt know much back then (some say I still dont...LOL).....I was just their "gofer" :D. and they were my mentors back in the day. They were all neighbors and a tight nich bunch of racers so who knows what was going on back then.

3. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I believe Ronnie Broadhead won the 1963 NHRA Stock World Championship with that Pontiac. He was the only guy I knew that would rework his own clutches.

4. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

It's a good thing that NHRA allowed replacement transmissions. People were building big transmissions with little trans guts.....Might as well just allow them to use the lighter transmissions to begin with and be done with it.

I had a '58 Pontiac street/tow car and it had the iron 4 speed hydro in it.....I had the trans rebuilt by Craig Muller and it shifted too hard....especially with 4.56's in it.....Was a little crazy on the street but I ran those gears for a while.....The rear was Craig's......I ran in the 14's driving the car to the track and the shortblock was never out of the car and had about 60-70K miles on it......All I needed was a Tri-Power unit for it....I had an AFB on it.....

5. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Is Craig the bowler that spent some time in So-Cal? If so I knew him.

6. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Gawd C B -- I raced against this car in class!!! E/S - too bad no pics of my 64 MailbuSS never snuck into one of your pix!!
    Keep em comin' - Friend!!

7. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

And this pic of Broadheads record holding 60.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

8. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Yes Gary.....Craig was also good friends with Stu Rogers.....Billy Izykowski's partner on the KICKS Biscayne.They were from the same area in NJ and Stu was real good with Pontiacs. Everyone around here that raced fast street Pontiacs knew Stu..........I recall Craig spent time in California and I think was friends with some of the Pontiac racers from out there. I bought a '58 shortblock from Craig that supposedly came from Jay Hamilton....Craig built and raced a '58 of his own with a F.I. engine. I think he won class at Indy one year. He was a Pro Bowler and did pretty well at it for a while.

9. hellbuckle50

hellbuckle50
    from Mid TN

This has made my day... FANTASTIC!!
    can't wait to get my 64 Stude stocker on the road.

10. How about the 65 glassback Barracuda Brand X Eliminator from Patterson Motors with a 273 cubic inch small block putting out a whopping 235 hp.

[​IMG]
    Scot

11. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

That Barracuda has "Clown Wheels"......thats what we called that paint technique....Looked silly going down the track....

12. markus A

markus A

AKA: Circus Wheels

13. thehazguy

thehazguy

Vette stocker Buckshot Larry Lombardo

Attached Files:

14. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Here is one I saw a few years ago on the net. A nice clean 150 with BelAir trim around the windsheild. I wish it was in my garage. :)

[​IMG]

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, that's how the CANADIAN 150's were made; with stainless around the windshield and back light, and station wagon style side trim. Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. Falconred

Falconred

We thought that you could watch the front and rear wheels and tell how much the rears were spinning. Most of the time nobody remembered to watch.

17. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Didnt current big time stock car engine builder Ron Hutter from the Cleveland area run a 60s Pontiac stocker ? I recall him either winning or RUing at the Indy Nationals in the early 60s

18. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Most lower class automatic trans cars barely made enough power to spin the tires. Our sedan delivery had 7" Caslers on it and I don't think it ever spun the tires except in dirt.....and 1st gear in a hydro was very steep....

19. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I think (?) it started with the Ramchargers in 1963 on their S/SA Dodge. It was monkey see monkey do after a Hot Rod magazine article on the car.

20. dirt42

dirt42

Not sure about that question, but i can tell you he built many feature winning DIRT engines with his big ol Hutter heads.

21. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Canadian 55 150s didn't have the stainless around the windsheild and back glass. The side stainless was a 210 spear with the small fin that the wagons used. I've been playing with these old chevies up here in the north for 42 years.

22. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

YuP! Ron Huttter raced a 60 Poncho C/S tri-power car in early-mid 60's. Became very proficient with the 2-bbl carbs. Years later his 2 bbl stock carbs became "famous" among the "roundy-round" 2bbl racers. Still highly sought after today!! Sorry, I looked but couldnt find a pic. I'll bet Cb has one??

23. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

[.LOL. Sort of like the Ford C-6 vs the C-4 in Bill Hawks 71 Mustabg before NHRA threw in the towel and allowed the lighter tranmissions in all of the stockers several years ago. .[/QUOTE]

a good friend of mine won the IHRA season championship in '78 running an I/SA '71 Mustang convertible with a 351C C-4 in it...the tech guys never thought about it being bogus once...he even went to one or 2 NHRA races with it without a hassle...we knew better tho...lol...CB

24. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

that was before my time Tweed, no pics of the old Poncho...I do have alot of his and Mike Valerio's early Canned Heat Pro/Stock Camaros tho...lol...OOPS, wrong site...and Dave Rodriguez's '56 gasser...lol...CB

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I had to do some digging (HorsePowerHeaven.Com), but I came up with a pic of a Canadian, 55, 150 from B.C. taken at Bremerton Raceway in the early 70's or so, and it DID NOT have stainless around the front/rear glass. I remember it having the side trim, I guess that's what mostly stood out in my mind. I've been wrong before, and it surely won't be the last time. Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. Mike Delahanty

Mike Delahanty

27. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]
    (Lynn W. Morton photo)

Pete

29. SMITH&WELSH

SMITH&WELSH

King Cobra Pic is from 1979-1980 when the late Mike Smith owned the Car.

30. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I have a 60s Hot Rod that I think may have a picture of Hutters Pontiac at Indy. I know it has the class results. Ill see if I can find it.