Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

From humble beginnings... Any pics of that?

Thanks once more, Colesy!

2. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Tim Bishop, this year's Stock Eliminator winner at Indy, won his class last year in his B/S 1997 Firehawk. When he got to tear down everything checked, but he was told to remove a piston for inspection. The job is a real pain as there is not enough room to remove the pan with the engine in the car. Tim fought it and finally got a piston/rod out and was told that the part number was not ledgable so he was DQ'ed. All the other pistons had the same numbers that could be easily read, but were not accepted. Sometimes tech can be a bitch!

3. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

The ultimate to me was a buddy getting tossed for class at Indy in the 70s for having 1 TRW pushrod mixed by accident with the 15 other factory ones in his Cobrajet Mustang.

4. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

In 1966 at Indy we were R/UP in I/SA class runoffs. The Winner was another car same as ours '57 Sedan Delivery.....Bill? Robinson from Pa. We waited all day outside the teardown barn area untill Robinson was torn down and subsequently found to be illegal....camshaft I think. We were the last car in the barn after along and sad day ot on the track.....a competition eliminator racer from our home area was killed in an accident as we watched the racing from past the finishline. I never forgot that scene....

We tore the engine down in our car and after some checking of our cam we were also DQ'ed and no winner was declared. We had a stock GM cam in the engine but it was a superceded part number and NHRA had not yet accepted that cam......Robinson may have had the same cam, I really don't know..... a few weeks later we got a leter from NHRA or read a notice somewhere that the cam that was rejected was NOW accepted as the orginal had not been availale for a fair amount of time........

Teardowns and tech back in the old days could be tough and have unhappy endings......In my racing career I have been tossed out or DQ'ed twice.....been with a team shop car that was DQ'ed after being #3 qualifier at a national event....had record runs disallowed for silly infractions.....and have generally been hassled on a few occasions by various tech people over things that should not have been issues....

Today they hardly even look at a thing...... drivers safety items and credentials and thats about it.....

5. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I remember when I was working with Skip Asay in tear down at one of the NHRA Div 1 points races in 1974. I was checking the bore and stroke on the "Hobby Horse" and Stan Welsh had a couple of valves out of the "Hobby Horse" Pinto's head to be checked and have the spring pressures checked. Skip was checking the valve spring pressures and found one or both (Intake and Exhaust..I dont remember) 1 or 2 pounds over spec. Stan was DQ'ed for the record. Stan was not happy....LOL. Skip might remember the details a little better than me. I do remember I re-did the head for Stan right before the Gatornationals the following year and he was checked again and he passed for winning class. I dont remember who checked it at the Gators.
    I was involved with the rule of + .005/minus.015 becoming a written rule in NHRA'a rule book when I measured Dave Wrens SS/CA Road Runner valves and found them to be well undersized at the Gatornationals. It was "Farmers" and Jim Dales decision to DQ Dave for the valves being to small. The Hemi's at that time had a problem with the valves hitting each other due to cam shaft timing at high lift in S/S. There were other times when I found lead shot in bags hidden in quarter pannels, tail lights, behind bumpers, etc. Spare tires that took a crane to lift out of a trunk.
    Once I caught a NED 1 stocker who shall remain nameless who had a cam that was large on all the lobes except number 1. He had a stroke :eek: when I wanted to check number 2 cylinders cam lobes. It seems that number 1 was the cylinder was the one that was checked the majority of the time and of course passed when checked but not this time.
    There were other stories but I would have to think about them as it was a long time ago.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  6. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Colesy, put XR7 badges on the roof and that "Cat" is a virtual TWIN to one I owned, '77-'82!!!!! Mine was a Q-code non-Ram CJ with a C6 and "ice". Wish I could have justified a "CJ by Poole" for a "cruiser"...

Thanks!

7. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

It's nice to see some 'fastback' Fairlanes amongst the stockers. This ones a '68.

Thanks for posting Colesy!

8. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

This might be a little before Jr. Stock

Attached Files:

9. Terry Zeke Maxwell

Terry Zeke Maxwell
    from Montreal

Napierville circa late 60s early 70s - Bill Hanna, NY, 50 Olds and later 68 428 Torino conv; Louis Desjardins, 50 Olds and many Chevs; Fireball Miller, 426 wedge cars; Remi Girard, Mustang CJ; George Constantin, Mustang CJ, possibly Thunderbolt? and other Fords; Joe Kenney, NY, 383 Dodge SW and later Camaro 350; Franco Cantusci, 55 Chev SW 265; Richard Jones, 66 Chev 283; Bob Bannon, 69 428 Torino fastback; Tom Brown, 55 Chev 265; Charlene Woods and husband, NY, Firebird and big Poncho SW; Andre Houle, 67 427 Fairlane.

More to come as the memory permits and photos as time permits.

Great to be here!!

10. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

While at Englishtown one year there was a guy riding a mini bike towing a kids wagon around the pits with Joe Kenny riding in it. I wonder who the Canadian SS Racer was ??? :) I should have taken a picture.

11. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Don't forget
    York we'll keep the light on for you!

Head NED, Darwin Doll

12. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Anyone building or restoring a 1955-57 Chevrolet Junior Stocker with a SBC set up?

Need a set of period correct "O.K." Kustom headers?

A fellow H.A.M.B.er has them listed for sale in the classifieds.

Here's a link.

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444790

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  13. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

REPLY TO SKIP ASAY-SKIP HERES A PHOTO OF YOUR 1968 CHEVELLE WAGON FROM RACEWAY NEWS-RACEWAY PARK-E-TOWN-VOL.3-NUMBER 30.
    I ALSO HAVE ISSUES WITH YOUR FOR SALE AD OF THIS CAR I WILL POST THEM ASAP.
    PS-DO YOU RECALL HELPING ME WITH MY 1961 IMPALA SS/X 283-2BBL. CAR??-I DONT RECALL HOW WE MET...THRU ED MERKLE????(LIVINGSTON).:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Thankyou to everyone for another great year of excellent photos and mesmirizing stories.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Attached Files:

• tree.gif
      tree.gif
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Yes thats me behind the wheel.

16. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Colesy -
    I still have those cast aluminum end caps with the O/K cast into them just like the pic in the above magazine ad!! Ran across them in a box of "junk" while moving some things around in the garage last summer!! LOL -
    Thanks again for "finding" that pic of my car in their "71 catalog!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!! Ho Ho Ho !!!
    Tweed & Vickie

17. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

SKIP ASAY 68 CHEVELLE WAGON -FOR SALE-AD!
    ALSO SHOWEN IS E-TOWN REGULAR AND ED MERKLE "KITCHEN CLUB" MEMBER LARRY GARUTI-SS/W &SS/X-6 CYLINDER 1969 MUSTANG FAST BACK.
    THIS IS FROM RACEWAY NEWS(E TOWN)VOL. 3 #30-SKIP ASAY WINS SSII CATAGORY-BEATING ED FRANKS CAMARO.
    SSI CATAGORY WAS WON BY JERRY STEIN IN THE 1964 CAR OVER KUTA &POMEROYS CAMARO.;)
    THIS MAY BE 1973...AFTER THE MERGE OF STOCK INTO SUPER STOCK:mad:

Attached Files:

18. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Correction to post-jerry stein and bob pagano were running the 1963 max wedge car at englishtown for the ss win

19. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

WOW :eek:....Wished we had prices like that today ! Cant even build a good bracket car for that kind of money.

20. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

merry christmas to everyone!:)

21. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Very rare car/photo, Colesy...but NOT a rare sentiment!

The very BEST to our lil band of Jr. Stock merry maniacs!

22. BadNews

BadNews

Happy Holidays to all our Junior Stock friends!!!
    Merry ChristmasKwanzachannakuh! And a Happy New Year!!! Ho-Ho-Ho.

23. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

[Ihttp://C:\Documents and Settings\Gary[/IMG]

Attached Files:

• 21.gif
      21.gif
      File size:
      270.5 KB
      Views:
  24. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Happy Holidays to one and all! Stay well and safe and let's all look forward to a joyous New Year. Hurry up SPRING!!!!!

25. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

I got a couple of vintage 1969 HOT ROD mags for Christmas. Paging through I came across this Joe Allread stocker ad.

26. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Lebanon valley dragway(upstate new york)-1965 season snap shot taken by my cousin of the bob moore a/s 409 car running out of pittsfield mass.-anybody know of this car and racer?:)

Attached Files:

27. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

CHECKOUT THE WEBSITE YOURYONKERS.COM-CLICK ON THE LINK CALLED AT THE SRTIP LOTS OF VINTAGE PHOTOS OF THIS NATIONAL SPEEDWAY REGULAR,"AQUARIUS"-BRIAN ALAMA AND "JIMMY CIRRIN".57 NOMAD-283 2BBL COMBO WITH A P/G-L/A F3-AHRA DAZE!CIRCA 1969.
    LOVE THOSE SBC 2BBL COMBOS;)
    NEW YORK NATIONAL......PIZZA BURGER AND A YOO HOO....THAT WAS THE BEST!:cool:

Attached Files:

28. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Anyone know the driver of the 'Mammy's Whammy" 55? Also nice pic of the McMasters/Nelson/Ken Gunning 57 4drHT in background behind the Dick Landy car and "Da Grump's 69 Camaro. Pix are credited to Bob Plummer's collection.
    Enjoy -- Have a Happy New Year All!!

Attached Files:

29. colesy

colesy

It's Ernie Sanchez of Toppenish Washington.

Attached Files:

30. colesy

colesy

That's the team of Tinsley & Culley from Richmond Virginia.

Attached Files: